Assassin's Creed III left me surprisingly disappointed *very mild spoilers*

#1Phange 2Posted 1/10/2013 10:04:19 PM
...given the outstanding production values, at least.

It's a combination of these factors:

1. An uninteresting and stubborn protagonist in Connor, who lacks any meaningful character development and whose motivations are almost simple to a fault given the scope of the series' predecessors' stories.

2. Nothing feels fully developed - from the naval battles, which are generally too easy and whose rewards are mostly fluff, to the homestead and crafting, whose usefulness only really appears near the very end of the game when you really don't need it anyway. Achilles should've had at least a hint of a backstory.

3. The ending is a letdown, mostly because the deus ex machina is an archetype that is overused in video games - especially aggravating after Mass Effect 3 did virtually the same thing.

4. There's very little actual "assassin" type game play. In fact, that seems to be the least of what the game tries to do. It's like buying a Call of Duty game and only one stage has actual shooting. Assassin's Creed 1 was, to a fault, completely focused on assassination. AC 2 expanded the breadth of content but was still focused. AC3 feels as if it's spread too thin. It's a mile wide but an inch deep.
---
Bacon.
Playstation Network: Phange
#2omniryuPosted 1/10/2013 10:12:32 PM
I hated the awful stealth system in this particular game.

Connor was a meh for me. Ezio had more spaz. Connor was a little too naive. I did like how he address slavery and the founding fathers bull exchange for not freeing them.
---
PSN ID: Omniryu; Skype: Ryan.cox43
Gamertag: Omniryu
#3darkjedilinkPosted 1/10/2013 10:30:50 PM
omniryu posted...

Connor was a meh for me. Ezio had more spaz. Connor was a little too naive. I did like how he address slavery and the founding fathers bull exchange for not freeing them.

So, you think it's "bull" that a lot of the Founding Fathers DID want to end slavery, but no consensus could be made?
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#4omniryuPosted 1/11/2013 3:21:49 AM
darkjedilink posted...
omniryu posted...

So, you think it's "bull" that a lot of the Founding Fathers DID want to end slavery, but no consensus could be made?

If you say so
---
PSN ID: Omniryu; Skype: Ryan.cox43
Gamertag: Omniryu
#5wingo84Posted 1/11/2013 5:01:42 AM
From someone who never played the previous AC games I thought the concept was great but the storyline on which it focused was incredibly cheesey.

I connected with Haytham more than I did with Connor in this game, I felt time passed so quickly when he was growing up that you never really got to know him well enough. Some missions felt pointless too, especially when having to command an army...

All that being said, I enjoyed the game and thought it was visually beautiful. Some of the more scenic areas were just gorgeous - especially some of the Naval missions, they almost made me seasick.

It's a shame you didn't get to know more about Achilles and his history as that appeared to be far more interesting!
---
NNID - Wingo84
#6Phange 2(Topic Creator)Posted 1/11/2013 12:01:07 PM
wingo84 posted...
From someone who never played the previous AC games I thought the concept was great but the storyline on which it focused was incredibly cheesey.

I connected with Haytham more than I did with Connor in this game, I felt time passed so quickly when he was growing up that you never really got to know him well enough. Some missions felt pointless too, especially when having to command an army...

All that being said, I enjoyed the game and thought it was visually beautiful. Some of the more scenic areas were just gorgeous - especially some of the Naval missions, they almost made me seasick.

It's a shame you didn't get to know more about Achilles and his history as that appeared to be far more interesting!

I thought Haytham was actually more justified and noble than Connor. Though, to be fair, one of the key themes of the game was that the Assassins aren't really any better than the Templars - they're both two sides of the same problem.
---
Bacon.
Playstation Network: Phange
#7X2SBPosted 1/11/2013 3:16:15 PM
I felt like the game fell apart at the end.

*Spoilers*

It played okay, but after the part where you used the apple to escape the building, it just seemed to fall apart.

Connor gets extremely injured at the end, bloody mess, poor guy. He is limping! Then the game says '6 months later!' Fully healed. Still limping? Wat?

Right after that Connor decides to put the key in the most secret place no one will touch for hundreds of years! His master assissins mentor's grave. Seriously? bury it 6 feet in a hole in the ground?

After that, Desmond wakes up and they prepare to go and get it. I prepared myself for the 'outside of the animus' game-play sequences, but the whole thing is summarized in a 30 second cut-scene of them going to the grave site and picking it up. Then we supposedly go all they way back, miles and miles to where we were 35 seconds ago. This had to be a very long journey, and it just felt so WRONG.

All that, and the little things like the 'phantom hidden blade', That is a big problem in the game. The game totally throws it in your face by making a bear kill a part of the game. You don't have your hidden blades yet, not even your robes, and you do the kill sequence and Connor stabs the bear with the palms of his hands and blood spews out and the bear dies. And also I realized if you press the hidden blade button when you are Desmond, even when he doesn't have a hidden blade, he flicks his wrist and you hear the 'schwith' sound. That would have taken 30 seconds to disable.

But what they did right was soooo well! i don't understand what went wrong!
---
Switch JRPGs with Shooters, and I'm sure that's what they're saying about us.
#8X2SBPosted 1/11/2013 3:16:25 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#9btaylorstlPosted 1/11/2013 3:18:38 PM
I got pretty much what I expected out of AC3: a fun open-world game set in a vast Revolutionary environment, a bunch of historical tie-ins, and complete nonsense on the present/Desmond side.

The only thing that really surprised me was how much fun I had with the Naval combat stuff. I expected that to be nothing but half-baked rail shooting, but I enjoyed it so much that I'd probably buy a dedicated game of the naval stuff if it were a bit more fleshed out.
---
This signature will not change until the St. Louis Cardinals win the World Series. Started: 10/29/11