Wii U launch: What went wrong?

#1IcecreamdunwichPosted 1/11/2013 3:50:56 AM
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=507807

This guy hit the damn nail on the head, in my opinion.

But what do you guys think cause the Wii U to utterly fail in Europe, do poorly in the US, an mediocrely in Japan?
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#2BuretsuPosted 1/11/2013 3:54:26 AM
lol
---
no i tried resetting game i even start violent slamming cartridge on wall but all it does make static noise when i put into DS, the problem not fix! -ReconUnit
#3mcsmellingtonPosted 1/11/2013 4:04:18 AM
Personally, I think the main thing wrong with the launch is the games. But then that happens for most launches I suppose. ZombiU was a bit of a disappointment, and BLOP2 is good fun, and having off-screen play is fantastic, but it's still quite obvious it's the worst of the 3 console versions.

The console itself is fine in my opinion. Load times are a bit long, and Nintendo have taken their usual ass backwards approach to online functionality, but stuff like the Miiverse is actually quite inspired, and good fun to use.

That said, I would like for them to make some changes to the online stuff. I find it hard to believe we're in 2013 and they still haven't managed to quite get the hang of it.
---
GT: McPoo
PSN/NNID: McSmellington
#4Evil_GogetaPosted 1/11/2013 4:05:55 AM
The most minimal advertisement there has ever been.
---
PSN/Wii U: GuiltyPersona Official Foreign JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken #1 Fan
Playing: (PS3) Shin Hokuto Musou, Sora no Kiseki FC Kai (WiiU) MH3GHD, Sangokushi 12.
#5Santo3485Posted 1/11/2013 4:08:10 AM
Where I live I've seen a lot of people buying Wii U games not knowing it doesnt work on the Wii. They *think* its a game for the Wii even tho it says Wii U on the case. I mean c'mon? Common sense? Problem is some people dont know that the Wii U is a new console!
---
In theory there is no differens between theory and practice - but in practice, there is.
#6Icecreamdunwich(Topic Creator)Posted 1/11/2013 4:10:27 AM
Evil_Gogeta posted...

The rumor is that Nintendo of Japan and Nintendo's ad agency in America had a fight over the fact that Nintendo of Japan wanted to market the console the same way they do it in Japan and made the ad agency irritated.

So they were left to do it all themselves, which meant we got some awful Disney ads.
---
#7niels200683Posted 1/11/2013 4:10:28 AM
So, the increase in exclusive games for the Wii U after the first month draught in Jan-March. Including Wonderful 101, Rayman Legends, Pikmin 3, Monster hunter... will... drastically slow down Wii U sales???

I disagree with this guy. XD

Wii's 1st day sales was a spectacular surprise for Nintendo,
as well as the whole industry - actually.

It's pretty silly to compare numbers with it. Furthermore, it outsold PS3 and Xbox360 in the when comparing the first week of all three devices. This has been well documented so... yeah. I'll post a link, just in case:

http://www.ibtimes.com/nintendos-wii-u-first-week-sales-outperform-ps3-xbox-360-sales-901134

Anyway - I'm not worried about the future any of the big three companies - can't wait to see the new sony & microsoft machines! (And prices... :S)
---
Nintendo Wii: Putting the 'p' in 'Epic'.
-Curse all these sock-eating gnomes!-
#8Evil_GogetaPosted 1/11/2013 4:14:06 AM
Icecreamdunwich posted...
Evil_Gogeta posted...

The rumor is that Nintendo of Japan and Nintendo's ad agency in America had a fight over the fact that Nintendo of Japan wanted to market the console the same way they do it in Japan and made the ad agency irritated.

So they were left to do it all themselves, which meant we got some awful Disney ads.

Here in Japan we literally got ads 2 or 3 days AFTER the release of the Wii U only. A few of my friends only heard of it after a week of the Wii U`s release.
---
PSN/Wii U: GuiltyPersona Official Foreign JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken #1 Fan
Playing: (PS3) Shin Hokuto Musou, Sora no Kiseki FC Kai (WiiU) MH3GHD, Sangokushi 12.
#9Icecreamdunwich(Topic Creator)Posted 1/11/2013 4:16:28 AM
Yeah, I feel like we can safely say this was a blunder of a launch and the biggest reason was the ads (or lack thereof) and the naming confusion. I feel bad for the poor folks at customer service on December 26th when they had to explain open software return policies because someone bought little Timmy New Super Mario U thinking it would work on his Wii.
---
#10RisingWaterPosted 1/11/2013 4:19:14 AM
Click on this

http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/features/compare/