Do you consider stories in games to be important?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Do you consider stories in games to be important?
3 years ago#1
I've only bought a game or two because of it's story. The last one that comes to mind is Heavy Rain. It's just not an important factor to me, especially in the game types I play.

So what genres do you play and how important is story to you? Will you ignore the fact that a game has a terrible story (FFXIII) or will it ruin the game for you? Will you buy a game just because it has great marks for it's story (Heavy Rain)?

A bad story will never ruin a game for me (unless the game itself is story driven and in that case I wouldn't have bought it because the reviews would have been bad). However, a good story can definitely enhance a non-story driven game for me (Infamous, Fallout 3). A game that isn't story driven and has a weak story will cause me to skip cut-scenes completely to get to the fun parts (Assassin's Creed, Skyrim, GTA).
3 years ago#2
yes. i love a story, and it pissed me off when miyamoto butted in and made the story in PMSS as bland as possible. so yes, i do care for story.
3 years ago#3
Not one bit... so long as the gameplay is awesome. Final Fantasy XII is in my top 5 games of all time, but I couldn't really tell ya what the hell it's about. The Legacy of Kain series, however, didn't play terribly well, but IMHO it has one of the best storylines of all time.
TO MICHAEL!!!
PSN: RadKickAss /// 3DS: 0662-2594-4115
3 years ago#4
Absolutely not, and well-stated, TC... although you should be prepared to have people ream your personal opinions, which are clearly subjective and only lead to empty, ineffective debates. (Some of them are a little thick around here...)

As someone who grew up with "get the frog across the road", "eat the dots and avoid the ghosts", "get these different-shaped blocks to make lines and disappear", etc., I know that story isn't important. It CAN be important, as in the few games you cited... but it absolutely does not need to be in order to make a good game.
Wii U board rule: If the topic title has ANY adjective with a negative implication... it's time to pee pants.
http://alturl.com/hc9un
3 years ago#5
Yes.

Not for every game, but yes, I do.
3 years ago#6
Depends on the type of game. For a sidescroller like Mario or sonic, I don't really care about story. But an rpg like a final fantasy, I do. I think that's why I had trouble with many Zelda games, love the gameplay, but an rpg needs a rich story to keep me enthralled.
BREAK IT DOWN KIRBY!! (^'-')^ (^'-')> (>'-')> <('-'^) ^('-'^) (^'-')^ (^'-')> (>'-')> <('-'^) ^('-'^)
3 years ago#7
NiftyManZ posted...
Depends on the type of game. For a sidescroller like Mario or sonic, I don't really care about story. But an rpg like a final fantasy, I do. I think that's why I had trouble with many Zelda games, love the gameplay, but an rpg needs a rich story to keep me enthralled.

i suppose you're lucky then, considering zelda isn't an RPG.
3 years ago#8
I grew up in the days when the bulk of a game's story was printed in the instruction manual and I'm currently pretty heavily invested in the indie game boom, so yeah, I can do without a rich story just fine.
3 years ago#9
I always start every game with the intention of reading all the story but never stick to it. Can't remember the last game where story came first.
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist..."
NNID - LexLuthor (Add me)
3 years ago#10
Yes, story is what holds it all together, if you haven't got a story you haven't got a purpose for playing.
NNID - Wingo84
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Do you consider stories in games to be important?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived