Do you consider stories in games to be important?

#1lt519Posted 1/11/2013 9:42:09 AM
I've only bought a game or two because of it's story. The last one that comes to mind is Heavy Rain. It's just not an important factor to me, especially in the game types I play.

So what genres do you play and how important is story to you? Will you ignore the fact that a game has a terrible story (FFXIII) or will it ruin the game for you? Will you buy a game just because it has great marks for it's story (Heavy Rain)?

A bad story will never ruin a game for me (unless the game itself is story driven and in that case I wouldn't have bought it because the reviews would have been bad). However, a good story can definitely enhance a non-story driven game for me (Infamous, Fallout 3). A game that isn't story driven and has a weak story will cause me to skip cut-scenes completely to get to the fun parts (Assassin's Creed, Skyrim, GTA).
#2DeathSoul2000Posted 1/11/2013 9:43:58 AM
yes. i love a story, and it pissed me off when miyamoto butted in and made the story in PMSS as bland as possible. so yes, i do care for story.
#3jjeerryyonly9Posted 1/11/2013 9:46:21 AM
Not one bit... so long as the gameplay is awesome. Final Fantasy XII is in my top 5 games of all time, but I couldn't really tell ya what the hell it's about. The Legacy of Kain series, however, didn't play terribly well, but IMHO it has one of the best storylines of all time.
---
TO MICHAEL!!!
PSN: RadKickAss /// 3DS: 0662-2594-4115
#4Rasputin77Posted 1/11/2013 9:47:58 AM(edited)
Absolutely not, and well-stated, TC... although you should be prepared to have people ream your personal opinions, which are clearly subjective and only lead to empty, ineffective debates. (Some of them are a little thick around here...)

As someone who grew up with "get the frog across the road", "eat the dots and avoid the ghosts", "get these different-shaped blocks to make lines and disappear", etc., I know that story isn't important. It CAN be important, as in the few games you cited... but it absolutely does not need to be in order to make a good game.
---
Wii U board rule: If the topic title has ANY adjective with a negative implication... it's time to pee pants.
http://alturl.com/hc9un
#5LUlGIPosted 1/11/2013 9:47:37 AM
Yes.

Not for every game, but yes, I do.
#6NiftyManZPosted 1/11/2013 9:51:11 AM
Depends on the type of game. For a sidescroller like Mario or sonic, I don't really care about story. But an rpg like a final fantasy, I do. I think that's why I had trouble with many Zelda games, love the gameplay, but an rpg needs a rich story to keep me enthralled.
---
BREAK IT DOWN KIRBY!! (^'-')^ (^'-')> (>'-')> <('-'^) ^('-'^) (^'-')^ (^'-')> (>'-')> <('-'^) ^('-'^)
#7DeathSoul2000Posted 1/11/2013 9:53:31 AM
NiftyManZ posted...
Depends on the type of game. For a sidescroller like Mario or sonic, I don't really care about story. But an rpg like a final fantasy, I do. I think that's why I had trouble with many Zelda games, love the gameplay, but an rpg needs a rich story to keep me enthralled.

i suppose you're lucky then, considering zelda isn't an RPG.
#8The_BoredomsPosted 1/11/2013 9:56:56 AM
I grew up in the days when the bulk of a game's story was printed in the instruction manual and I'm currently pretty heavily invested in the indie game boom, so yeah, I can do without a rich story just fine.
#9xLexLuth0rxPosted 1/11/2013 9:57:49 AM
I always start every game with the intention of reading all the story but never stick to it. Can't remember the last game where story came first.
---
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist..."
NNID - LexLuthor (Add me)
#10wingo84Posted 1/11/2013 9:59:04 AM
Yes, story is what holds it all together, if you haven't got a story you haven't got a purpose for playing.
---
NNID - Wingo84