Do you consider stories in games to be important?

#11Citan22Posted 1/11/2013 10:00:08 AM
hell no. if i want to experience a good story, video games are the last place i'll look.

to me, playing games for story is like watching adult movies for story = you're doing it all wrong.
---
NNID: BONEPILL
#12lt519(Topic Creator)Posted 1/11/2013 10:00:45 AM
DeathSoul2000 posted...
NiftyManZ posted...
Depends on the type of game. For a sidescroller like Mario or sonic, I don't really care about story. But an rpg like a final fantasy, I do. I think that's why I had trouble with many Zelda games, love the gameplay, but an rpg needs a rich story to keep me enthralled.

i suppose you're lucky then, considering zelda isn't an RPG.

Irrelevant to his point, stop nit picking. I liked Twilight Princess story but Skyward Sword's story was very uninteresting. That is a great example of a game I MAY have finished if it had a good story. I was in it for the Gameplay at first, but after 30 hours or so it grew stale and I couldn't finish it.
#13The_BoredomsPosted 1/11/2013 10:01:04 AM
wingo84 posted...
Yes, story is what holds it all together, if you haven't got a story you haven't got a purpose for playing.

High score, challenging puzzles, exciting new gameplay elements, achievements, unlockables, etc, etc, etc...
#14mashuPosted 1/11/2013 10:01:52 AM
Yes, but its importance to me depends on the genre.
#15LUlGIPosted 1/11/2013 10:02:08 AM
to me, playing games for story is like watching adult movies for story = you're doing it all wrong.

I wasn't aware people played games to get off on them.
#16wingo84Posted 1/11/2013 10:02:14 AM
Citan22 posted...
hell no. if i want to experience a good story, video games are the last place i'll look.

I love a good story in an adult movie...
---
NNID - Wingo84
#1740DribylfPosted 1/11/2013 10:05:04 AM(edited)
Heavy Rain is one the worst games last generation imo

Simply because due to its QTE-heavy gameplay, the emphasis is on the story, and the story is riddled with plotholes, awful characters and character development, and just a bad concept in general. And the game just flings its poop (story) at your face, it's the main focus.

That's my issue with story-heavy titles. If the story is good? Hell yeah, I'll take it. But if the story is garbage, then the game is a waste of my time and I'll be mad for playing it.

A game doesn't need to be story-heavy at all. They're nice and all, but I don't need a good story to love a game. All I need in a game is fun gameplay and a good atmosphere.
---
I am hip
http://www.last.fm/user/KDay1990
#18lt519(Topic Creator)Posted 1/11/2013 10:04:55 AM
40Dribylf posted...
Heavy Rain is one the worst games last generation imo

Simply because due to its QTE-heavy gameplay, the emphasis is on the story, and the story is riddled with plotholes, awful characters and character development, and just a bad concept in general. And the game just flings its poop (story) at your face, it's the main focus.

That's my issue with story-heavy titles. If the story is good? Hell yeah, I'll take it. But if the story is garbage, then the game is a waste of my time and I'll be mad for playing it.

A game doesn't need a well-written story at all. They're nice and all, but I don't need a good story to love a game. All I need in a game is fun gameplay and a good atmosphere.

Would you consider atmosphere part of the story/lore of a game? Is that the case with books?

I liked Heavy Rain, I had fun with it mostly because it was a unique experience and the decisions you had to make were fun (cutting off your finger). The story had major plot holes once the ending was revealed, but I enjoyed the ride.
#1940DribylfPosted 1/11/2013 10:12:21 AM
lt519 posted...
Would you consider atmosphere part of the story/lore of a game? Is that the case with books?

I liked Heavy Rain, I had fun with it mostly because it was a unique experience and the decisions you had to make were fun (cutting off your finger). The story had major plot holes once the ending was revealed, but I enjoyed the ride.

I do not consider the atmosphere a part of the narrative. Lore, sure, but not narrative.

For example, Fez. That game lacks a narrative, pretty much, but it's music and artstyle sink me in.

Metroid Prime, a game that is very light on narrative, but deep in lore and atmosphere. I dislike Prime 2 & 3 for pushing a narrative on me (and for other reasons).

RE4 has a silly, non-serious plot that you can completely ignore if you want, but the atmosphere makes that game, alongside the great graphics (at the time) and stellar gameplay.

Etc etc
---
I am hip
http://www.last.fm/user/KDay1990
#20FFnutPosted 1/11/2013 10:12:43 AM
That's entirely dependent on what else the game has to offer. I tend to have more fun with games that don't have a great story as long as they have great gameplay, but the story can definitely enhance the experience, and depending on its quality, even make up for ground lost through gameplay.

I actually like your examples because they can help me illustrate what I mean. On my PS3, I have only ever gotten two Platinum Trophies. Now, obviously getting a Plat is a function of how difficult the Trophy requirements are, but I'm not going to constantly work at a game that I'm bored with or I don't find fun any longer. One the my two Plats is from Heavy Rain. The gameplay of Heavy Rain isn't exactly fantastic - the game is really an interactive movie with a series of action prompts and QTEs. But it's engaging, and for what it is it's very entertaining. Most of the replay value comes from doing different things and possibly even changing the ending, which is all story-based.

My only other Plat is from Lollipop Chainsaw. I don't know if you've played it, but story isn't exactly its strong suit. However, it is a fun game to play and kept me entertained for at least as long as Heavy Rain.

I also like that you mentioned FFXIII, because that can further explain. You said the story was bad, but I disagree. The story was fantastic. It was just attached to a mediocre battle system and an abysmally linear world. The sequel to that game improved on the battle system/character customization and really opened up the world, incorporating a good number of sidequests and mini-games as well as giving you some freedom as to where you want to go. In exchange, though, the sequel's story was... well, it wasn't nearly as good as the original's. Yet I found the sequel much more entertaining than the first, with its better story.

For an interactive movie type of game like Heavy Rain, story is extremely important. For games with an engaging form of gameplay, story really takes a backseat to gameplay. If I had to choose between a Mario game with fantastic gameplay OR a great story, I'll choose the gameplay every time. If I have to choose between a Quantic Dream game with fantastic gameplay OR a great story, I'll take the story. The game only really needs a great story if great story is one of its major features and strengths.
---
Official Naoya of the Shin Megami Tensei IV Board