Do you consider stories in games to be important?

#21lt519(Topic Creator)Posted 1/11/2013 9:19:26 AM
FFnut posted...

I also like that you mentioned FFXIII, because that can further explain. You said the story was bad, but I disagree. The story was fantastic. It was just attached to a mediocre battle system and an abysmally linear world. The sequel to that game improved on the battle system/character customization and really opened up the world, incorporating a good number of sidequests and mini-games as well as giving you some freedom as to where you want to go. In exchange, though, the sequel's story was... well, it wasn't nearly as good as the original's. Yet I found the sequel much more entertaining than the first, with its better story.

Thanks for the input. It's funny because I am in the minority in that I got bored of the FFXIII story very quick (in retrospect it may actually have been the terrible voice acting that pushed me away from sitting through the cut-scenes), but I enjoyed the combat a lot. The Gran Pulse is what kept me going, I only beat the game to farm more experience and items to help beat the final Cie'th stones.
#2240DribylfPosted 1/11/2013 9:24:40 AM
FFXIII's story was god-awful. The battle mechanic was awesome though, but the game was way too linear in the beginning, and I'm a guy that likes linear games.

Making one-way paths isn't how ya do it.
---
I am hip
http://www.last.fm/user/KDay1990
#23hrodwulfPosted 1/11/2013 10:04:57 AM
Depends on the type of game, for graphical adventures and story heavy games (The Walking Dead, Heavy Rain) of course it is, for RPGs and aventure games not so much, almost irrelevant for action / platformers.

It's nice to have everything be good in game: graphics, music, gameplay, characters, setting, story, etc. , but depending on the genre or how good the other characteristics are in the game, I might forgive certain bad one(s).
#24StephenYap3Posted 1/11/2013 10:24:27 AM
No, I usually don't care for them. All I care about for games are the gameplay. If I want to care about stories, I'd watch a movie or read a book.
---
I have trouble communicating with people :(
#25guedesbrawlPosted 1/11/2013 10:27:49 AM
i can accept something with a excuse plot,but i prefer deeper things.it really makes the experience all that more immersible.
---
Confession Time!
jRPGs are pretty much the best thing that ever happened to Video Games - Soanevalcke6
#26Tuff726Posted 1/11/2013 11:25:25 AM
A good story adds tons of replay value to the game. Just look at FF7. Besides for the cgi cutscenes, the graphics are awful, the game is rediciulously easy, but it it still played and popular till this day.
#27Baha05Posted 1/11/2013 11:25:54 AM
Depends on the game
---
"Gamestop will not be around in 10 years because physical games will no longer exist, it'll all be digital" Xeeh_Bitz
#28JonbazookabozPosted 1/11/2013 11:30:45 AM
In a 'story driven' game- good writing is important. But stories in general are not necessary. U can play mario kart, geometry wars, smash bro, etc etc without needing one word of story and be completely happy.
---
"If PAC-MAN had affected us kids, we'd all be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music!"
#29SnuffSevenfoldXPosted 1/11/2013 11:41:57 AM
Yes, but of secondary importance. If the gameplay fun as heck, the stories can be as b-movie ish as it wants to (take the DMC series for example). Gameplay will ultimately be the single most important thing.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watchfeature=player_embedded&v=cJbTyFzqZu0
#30LightHawKnightPosted 1/11/2013 11:42:36 AM
Yes. That is why I play RPGs.
---
The Official Odin of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
"You know how confusing the whole good-evil concept is for me."