Do you consider stories in games to be important?

#31lt519(Topic Creator)Posted 1/11/2013 12:06:43 PM
LightHawKnight posted...
Yes. That is why I play RPGs.

So if you run into a RPG with a bad story would that make you quit playing it?
#32hyjinx17Posted 1/11/2013 12:17:02 PM
I need a good story in 90% of the games I play. The genres where story isnt really important I don't like for example racing, sports games and shooters.

MMOs are probably the only type of game I play a lot and don't care about story
---
Rainbow Dash is best pony. The only argument I will accept is for Twilight Sparkle.
#33NewavePosted 1/11/2013 12:18:34 PM
depends on the type of game

racing, puzzle and platformers can work fine without any story at all while role playing games or adventure games pretty much need a good story to be playable, let alone enjoyable
---
I have: NES, GB, GBA(3), PSX(5), DC, PS2, PSP(2), GC(2), Wii, XB(2), XB360
I want: GBP, GBL, GBC, SNES, MD, MCD, 32X, SS, PS3, PSV
#34Ampharos64Posted 1/11/2013 12:23:21 PM
lt519 posted...
Would you consider atmosphere part of the story/lore of a game? Is that the case with books?

I definitely do, atmosphere can be as important to me as story, and a game with a good atmosphere actually needn't have a complex story to still be involving. I think it can be the case with books, Gothic novels (or poems) for instance, there's a distinct atmosphere to them.

I almost exclusively play JRPGs, so I do play games for the story. I care about characters the most, then story, though the two are of course connected. If I don't care about the characters, and ideally the goal they're trying to accomplish, then a game isn't as interesting to me at all, I usually won't care to play it in that case, and quickly get bored if I do. That doesn't actually mean the story needs to be complicated, though - even 'save the Princess' is such a classic storytelling idea that something like that can easily work as the hook for a game, if it's presented well. Well, I always adored fairy stories, and Medieval Romances (that's Romance in the sense of 'Romance language'), so I just like that kind of atmosphere, I guess.

I'm often frustrated that most gamers just do not seem to have much experience with looking at and analysing narratives, though. I'd like to be able to enjoy more in depth discussions about it. Ideally the gameplay should contribute to the narrative, too - which it actually does in FFXIII. The characters have lived their whole lives in this closed-in world, then are pursued, no chance to stop and no option to do anything other than keep running, and finally they reach this huge, rather overwhelming (and full of new dangers), expanse of Gran Pulse. The change in gameplay experience from linear to more free as the world suddenly opens up in front of you really conveys what it's like for them.
#35DiscostewSMPosted 1/11/2013 12:23:21 PM
It's all a matter of if it's needed. If I'm playing Solitaire on my computer, do I need to have the history of how it came to be, outlined for me while I play it? If I'm playing an F1 racing game, do I need the announcer tell me how the sport is evolving?
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#36LightHawKnightPosted 1/11/2013 12:27:33 PM
lt519 posted...
LightHawKnight posted...
Yes. That is why I play RPGs.

So if you run into a RPG with a bad story would that make you quit playing it?

Now why would I play an RPG with a bad story to begin with? I research before I buy. Also I don't critique that hard either.
---
The Official Odin of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
"You know how confusing the whole good-evil concept is for me."
#37IcecreamdunwichPosted 1/11/2013 12:28:54 PM
Generally yes, stories are important. Which is another reason Nintendo annoys me is that they don't bother even making one for their games 80% of the time.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#38steerepikePosted 1/11/2013 12:36:54 PM
It's funny. My gaming tastes have spun a complete three-sixty since I was young. It didn't matter to me in the NES days, but as I got a little older I felt drawn to story driven "experiences." As I grow older still, my tastes seem to be shifting back to a place where a rich story isn't the draw for me. I'm looking for things that are recognizable as games, not things that attempt to bend the medium, or try to deliver powerful narratives.

TL;DR Twenty years ago? No. Ten years ago? Yes. Today? Not so much.
---
It hurted me...
#39fazPosted 1/11/2013 12:47:29 PM
For the most part yes. It does depend on the type of game and as long as the gameplay is good I am fine.
---
"Those without evidence shouldn't open their mouths..." -Miles Edgeworth
#40TheWhoFanPosted 1/11/2013 12:48:09 PM
I'm amazed by how much so many video game players absolutely loathe storytelling in their games. I do find it amazing, but also pretty funny.

Your loss, guys.
---
"On a technical level, PC obviously. But because PC and Xbox have no games, PS3 wins." - ScreamingMidget
They don't even try anymore.