Do you consider stories in games to be important?

#51LordcrabfoodPosted 1/11/2013 2:12:28 PM
Sometimes, good stories save a game. Take Deadly Premonition for example, the great characters and story made this one of my fav games this gen. Nier is also another good example, although the game played very well, it was very repetitive, the story and characters made this game for me and that fantastic soundtrack. This is why I can not be bothered with nintendo games much anymore. They are fine when you are a kid but I want something more now.
#52Tsutarja495Posted 1/11/2013 2:17:52 PM
Story doesn't matter to me at all in video games. I'd rather be playing the game than watching cutscenes and reading text/listening to people talk.

But it's the same as how I feel about graphics, just because it doesn't matter to me, doesn't mean I don't understand other people finding it important. Whatever makes them happy.
#5340DribylfPosted 1/11/2013 2:34:58 PM
TheWhoFan posted...
I'm amazed by how much so many video game players absolutely loathe storytelling in their games. I do find it amazing, but also pretty funny.

Your loss, guys.

Not really.

If a game is very light on narrative, then they can enjoy the game to the fullest extent based on gameplay. You, however, cannot, since you need a "grand reason" to play a game.

If a game is heavy on narrative (say like MGS3) but fun to play, they can skip the cutscenes if they want and play the game. And that's if they want, they can still enjoy the story.

So if anything, it sucks for you.

Like I said, I can appreciate a great narrative structure, for sure, but not every game needs to have one to be amazing. Every game does need fun gameplay, a good aesthetic, and a unique atmosphere/mood (and great music too). If it has those things, 9/10 game at least, regardless of if it's story-focused or not.
---
I am hip
http://www.last.fm/user/KDay1990
#54RAPTall1Posted 1/11/2013 2:41:27 PM
Considering RPGs are my favorite genre of game... yes, I think story is very important.

That being said, not every game/type of game needs a strong story to be good.
---
SS FC: 3653-5956-7380
White FC: 0346-8581-1315
#55NejiHyuga900Posted 1/11/2013 3:01:59 PM
When I was young, no.
But as an adult, yes.
---
Xbox 360 Gamertag & Nintendo Network ID: TDPNeji
Steam ID: NejiHyuga900
#56lt519(Topic Creator)Posted 1/11/2013 3:02:09 PM
I find it hard to get into a story such as FFXIII knowing that the cut-scenes and lore alone are going to add hours upon hours to the game. I have limited amounts of time to play games, when I get home and have that 45 minutes to play, I don't want to boot up a game and watch 20 minutes of cut-scenes, read 10 minutes of dialog, 5 minutes of loading and "play" the game for 10 minutes and not even make it to the next save point. I find there is a breaking point in what I am looking for in stories in the video game medium.

And for the poster that mentioned Suikoden II, one of my favorite stories of all time. I really enjoyed the Suikoden III story too with the branching character paths that all come together at the end. But you didn't have to invest a lot of time into those stories.
#57The_Darker_OnePosted 1/11/2013 3:05:27 PM
Far Cry 3 had a good "movie" type of story.
#58nedrithPosted 1/11/2013 3:10:20 PM
It is one of the many things that add to a game. Sure gameplay is the most important thing in a game, but a RPG isn't a great rpg without a great story. even in a FPS game a decent story improves it.

If I had to rate gameplay, graphics, sounds, story, in order it would go Gameplay>Story>Sounds>>>>>>>Graphics for the majority of genres. There are of course exceptions, a story in a sports game would be rather meaningless minus the few rare exceptions.
#5940DribylfPosted 1/11/2013 3:19:22 PM(edited)
The Suikoden games (especially the first 2) are perfect examples of having great stories that are not shoved into your face. No countless hours of dialogue, gripping tales and lore, well-written characters.

And you can complete ignore it if you want.
---
I am hip
http://www.last.fm/user/KDay1990
#60Dark_Link92Posted 1/11/2013 3:35:38 PM
I do love a good story, especially in RPGs. I don't mind games with no story, like arcade games, I just dislike when developers try to make a good story but fail.
---
Pokemon Black- FC: 0003 3185 8262
Monster Hunter Tri, ID:71YAXZ -EU Server!