Do you consider stories in games to be important?

#61PoltergustPosted 1/11/2013 2:41:30 PM
Absolutely.

Well, I guess it depends on the genre and game. For example, I don't expect a standard Mario platformer to put emphasis on story, and I'm OK with that. With a Mario RPG, however, a good, engaging story is vital to the overall enjoyment of the game.

Games like Heavy Rain and The Walking Dead sometimes get unjustly criticized for having minimal gameplay and focusing too much on narrative. However, those games were never advertised to have great gameplay. Their main draw was the story contained within them, and that was the reason people bought them. If the developers focused too much on making the game more "fun", it may have negatively impacted the narrative they were trying to convey. I'm glad that these two games break through the norm (and sold well to boot) and hope that developers won't be afraid to follow in their footsteps.

I'm surprised that I'm posting this video twice in two days:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/beyond-fun
---
I find sports video games to be the ultimate in irony and redundancy.-Kahai
#62MilenninPosted 1/11/2013 2:45:50 PM(edited)
Generally no, although it depends on what the game tries to do.
If the game has a huge focus on story, then yes I'd consider the story to be important and want it to be good. Fire Emblem games are a good example of this.
In most games, however, the story isn't all that important. Because as long as the game itself is nice and fun to play, who cares about story anyway? That's not to say that story doesn't matter at all. A good story will make a good game great. A good story can add a lot extra to what would otherwise be a fairly bland (though, enjoyable) game.
Overall, I usually don't set big expectations for story in games, so I'm rarely disappointed.
---
Dream as if you will live forever, live as if you will die today
#63FOGEDABOUDITPosted 1/11/2013 2:56:44 PM
Among one of the most important aspects.
---
I do so love Riften. I journeyed here in my youth. A thief took my purse... so I took his eyes. It was a fair exchange.
#64dominatinggamerPosted 1/11/2013 2:57:01 PM
I don't have the time to really get into a story so I pick games with minimal story driven gameplay. I usually play in spurts and trying to follow a story and really care about the characters is a rare thing. I'll get to Xenoblade one day...
---
With friends like you, who needs enemies?
#65Kar31189Posted 1/11/2013 3:02:58 PM
For me yes but really it depends on the game type
#66Overlord9011Posted 1/11/2013 3:06:51 PM
If it's not a platformer or a shooter, story is really important to me.
---
Final Fantasy I-V were great games (IV being the best), VI was... okay?, VII... Meh. I gave up at VIII.
#67oxnerdPosted 1/11/2013 3:10:11 PM
XIII Had a great story! Yes stories are somewhat important in games, right now I'm playing FF8 and I'm wondering where all the hate is going to start, 'cause the story so far seems fine...
#68fhsfootball74Posted 1/11/2013 3:18:27 PM
Depends on the genre. Sports games, arcade games, racing games I could care less if they have story. RPGs, Adventure games etc. yes story matters.
---
PSN- fhsfootball74 Nintendo Network- returnoftheryan
In SMOD we trust.
#69residentbowersPosted 1/11/2013 3:28:37 PM
P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N posted...
Depends on the game.

lot of long winded posts for a topic with only this possible answer.
---
but Black Dynamite, I sell drugs to the community.
#70KevinCCPosted 1/11/2013 3:31:47 PM
Story is good, but gameplay is king.

That is why Minecraft is a good game despite (or partially because of?) its story being wholly created by the player.
---
...as opposed to an average game.