Do you consider stories in games to be important?

#81Gump_the_GreatPosted 1/11/2013 5:17:12 PM
To me, Story is always the most important aspect. my ratings go as followed

Story
Gameplay
Graphics

Always in that order. Its why i find Mass Effect (even tho its ending ripped my heart out and Sh*t on it) is my favorite series, and the Mario series i usually tend to see as overrated (mario has a plot!?!?!!? really?!?!).

Tho games that lack in any of those 3 categories become difficult to stick with. A game with a great Story and Graphics but poor gameplay becomes hard for me (i find The Witcher 2 to be like this, terrific story, hate the gameplay), as well as games with good gameplay and graphics but a poor story (Diablo 3 gets this one).

It is always a balancing act between those 3 elements that make a game to me, you can't have one severely lacking and still have what is considered a good game... other than maybe graphics, but that can hinder fun sometimes as well.
#82bretnsidPosted 1/11/2013 5:23:35 PM
Yes, I love a good story whether it be in TV, move, or a game. I don't need a good story to play a game to enjoy it though - not all games have to have a focus on a good story, but I definitely look out for the story-heavy games that seem interesting.

Like Prototype - doesn't have much of a story and what story it does have is not that great, but the gameplay is great.
---
Metal Gear Solid 4 : Guns of the Patriots! (4/15/06)
Damn the Patriots! Sneak Out 6.12.08 - SNAAAAKE!
#83AugustDreamingPosted 1/11/2013 5:33:56 PM
Yeah, story can make or break a game.
---
Poke White FC ( June ) - 1507 1398 3559
http://www.youtube.com/user/AugustDreams
#84ultimatedorkboyPosted 1/11/2013 5:40:40 PM
Not really but I have no problem with games having big or "epic" stories.
---
"You can talk to the wall for all I care."
"I would respect your opinion.... if I cared about it."
#85lt519(Topic Creator)Posted 1/12/2013 7:33:23 AM
Wow a Wii U board thread made it to 80 with no signs of trolling or flame wars...well done folks

/topic
#86DJNfinityPosted 1/12/2013 8:51:13 AM
Absolutely.
---
Nostalgia-~-[+..oo]
#87koolguy5Posted 1/12/2013 9:09:59 AM
when i was a child, the first game i played was Super Mario Bros, where gameplay was VERY important. As i got older, story became very important,, thats why i like Paper Mario . Of courses that's just an example in the same series, but it translates now to all games.
---
Mario rules.Period.FTLulz
#88GloryChaosPosted 1/12/2013 9:14:26 AM
It depends on the kind of game. As long as a game manages to be fun then the lack of a story won't really bother me. I don't really need a driving force or some kind of directive if I'm allowed to explore and adventure on my own.

That being said, a lot of games can really benefit from a good story all the same.
---
Brawl FC - 1332 8069 6690
http://i.imgur.com/OZ9aS.png
#89FabulousZeroPosted 1/12/2013 9:24:20 AM
Got me a couple o' new ignorees.
---
It took me three playthroughs to realize Harbinger was a reaper
If you dislike FFXIII, you're an idiot.
#90SegavsCapcomPosted 1/12/2013 10:50:33 AM
Story is good, but not the most important aspect of the game. A game can be good without a good story as long as the gameplay is great.

Mario? No story for the most part but makes up for it with awesome gameplay.

Muramasa? Confusing story but amazing gameplay.

Final Fantasy XIII? Terrible story, but pretty nice gameplay.

...I'm gonna pay for the last part, aren't I?
---
My sig will never happen, but it would be awesome if it did.