Console Launch sales, for a little perspective

#1Sharky8Posted 1/12/2013 9:12:44 AM(edited)
In the first 18 months...

Wii consoles sold: 9.5 million
PS2 consoles: 8.5 million
Xbox360: 5.4 million
Xbox: 5.2 million
PS3: 4.2 million

The Wii U has sold more than 2.5 million consoles in under 2 months.

So in the next 16 months, how many units will Nintendo sell? That's almost impossible to project. But, the point is that in 11% of the time, the Wii U has already sold 60% of what PS3 did in an entire 18 months. Or, in 11% of the time, the Wii U has already sold 26% of what the Wii did in one and a half years.

The Wii U will sell many million units by the time we reach 18 months. It's not Wii numbers or PS2 numbers, but it's not a failure.

Launch console sales: http://kotaku.com/5010214/nintendo-wii-has-highest-software-sales-for-first-18-months

Other sales figure data to verify:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_u
(and wiki entries for all other consoles)
Plus: http://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/
Plus: direct reading of quarterly sales reports from Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft
#2Sharky8(Topic Creator)Posted 1/12/2013 9:10:34 AM
I apologize in advance if this post is too logical and sensible for trolls and fanboys to understand.
#3fhsfootball74Posted 1/12/2013 9:11:13 AM
I'm pretty sure everyone realizes it even the trolls....its just they don't want to admit it because their existence rests on the success/failure of game companies.
---
PSN- fhsfootball74 Nintendo Network- returnoftheryan
In SMOD we trust.
#4Wiiplayer111Posted 1/12/2013 9:22:33 AM
Trolls say its failing and doing bad. But its actually above the average for sales in its life. And has an above average launch library.
---
Look a you.... sticking to the plan.
didyouknowgaming.com
#5Sharky8(Topic Creator)Posted 1/12/2013 9:25:08 AM
Wiiplayer111 posted...
And has an above average launch library.

hahaha! I love Nintendo, but unfortunately no on this point.

Hopefully Pikmin 3, Mario Kart Wii U, a Zelda game, and more will be available within the 18 month window. But right now, the selection of games is pretty poor.
#6ElGadoPosted 1/12/2013 9:25:28 AM
Sharky8 posted...
I apologize in advance if this post is too logical and sensible for trolls and fanboys to understand.

LOL, you think you've won this argument.

Wait till the real numbers start coming in. Nintendrones find it very convenient to leave out the fact that Gamecube was beating PS3 at the beginning.
#7LinetrixPosted 1/12/2013 9:25:50 AM
That's the number of Wii Us shipped. Not sold. Dey see me spinning, dey hatin...
---
It doesn't matter the additional notes say opinions aren't trolling. The Notes are wrong and your opinion is trolling - GameFAQs moderation
#8Sharky8(Topic Creator)Posted 1/12/2013 9:31:09 AM
ElGado posted...
Sharky8 posted...

LOL, you think you've won this argument.

Wait till the real numbers start coming in. Nintendrones find it very convenient to leave out the fact that Gamecube was beating PS3 at the beginning.

In this case I unignored you just to see what nonsense you might write.

#1 you provided no citation.

#2 We all know PS3 started out badly and has since had decent sales, but was certainly not a huge hit like the Wii or PS2. So, comparing the Gamecube to PS3 and comparing the Wii U to either of those is disingenuous and unfair. Everyone can see the numbers provided for overall sales so you can see how the Wii U is doing already in comparison to the Wii, PS2, and Xbox 360.

PS I've responded to you not to argue with you, but to provide additional information for others who might read your nonsense. Now you are back on ignore and I will not read anything else you post.
#9CrimzonHeadPosted 1/12/2013 9:31:38 AM
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/631516-wii-u/65103052
---
"I never called you a troll because that would imply you were being stupid on purpose." - Loshadt
Don't be scared homie
#10Sharky8(Topic Creator)Posted 1/12/2013 9:32:49 AM
Linetrix posted...
That's the number of Wii Us shipped. Not sold. Dey see me spinning, dey hatin...

All sales figures for all video games, all consoles, all cans of soda, all bags of chips, is ALWAYS based on units shipped. Once a unit is "shipped" to a store it has been "sold" because the store has bought it. Thus, it's units sold.

That's how it works for ALL video games and most other products you buy at the store.