Console Launch sales, for a little perspective

#71miraimikePosted 1/12/2013 3:51:55 PM
Gamers who were around 10 years ago remember that X-Box and Gamecube were running neck and neck in sales for quite a while. Also, Nintendo succeeded in getting Square, Namco and Capcom support back after losing it during the N64 era. This "Gamecube was a failure" revisionist history is crap.
---
-Mike 3DS Friend Code: 2148-8168-3762 Street Fighter IV
"Everyone's entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts"
#72miraimikePosted 1/12/2013 3:55:34 PM
Newbie00 posted...
2 points to destroy your topic:

1. Ps2 was released when gaming wasn't so mainstream. Today, there's a much broader gaming market to capture.

2. the 360/ps3 were ridiculously more expensive than the Wii U at launch.

On what planet was the 360 ridiculously more expensive than the Wii U at launch?
---
#73Sharky8(Topic Creator)Posted 1/12/2013 4:07:49 PM
miraimike posted...
Gamers who were around 10 years ago remember that X-Box and Gamecube were running neck and neck in sales for quite a while. Also, Nintendo succeeded in getting Square, Namco and Capcom support back after losing it during the N64 era. This "Gamecube was a failure" revisionist history is crap.

And even if you want to label Gamecube a "failure," if Wii U "fails" like the Gamecube and sells only 21.7 million units and comes in third behind Sony and Microsoft, it's still more than enough to sustain Nintendo and keep them in the console market for years to come. Anyone predicting doom and gloom for Nintendo because of lower Wii U sales (compared to Wii sales) is seriously off their rocker. If the Wii U sells as well as the Gamecube, that is MORE than enough to keep Nintendo around for years to come.

However, there are many other things to keep in mind: video game sales have been dropping nearly every year for the last 5+ years. So, the video game market is shrinking, not expanding. We should all expect to see Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony not sell as well as they did in the 7th generation (Wii, PS3, 360).
#74Newbie00Posted 1/12/2013 4:09:06 PM
miraimike posted...
Newbie00 posted...

1. Ps2 was released when gaming wasn't so mainstream. Today, there's a much broader gaming market to capture.

On what planet was the 360 ridiculously more expensive than the Wii U at launch?

On earth. You ain't living here, are you, brah?

$399 debut in the US, $499 in Canada.
---
Sokar, Eliot... lay off Tony. I can vouch for him. He's a top lad and a massive PS3 supporter. He's not an enemy here. - SomnusNemoris on the Sony Defense Force
#75Sharky8(Topic Creator)Posted 1/12/2013 4:13:41 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#76miraimikePosted 1/12/2013 4:15:37 PM
Newbie00 posted...
miraimike posted...
Newbie00 posted...

On earth. You ain't living here, are you, brah?

$399 debut in the US, $499 in Canada.

Oh, I'm definitely on Earth.

US launch prices:
399 premium/299 core 360
350 premium/299 core Wii U
---
#77cavebear56Posted 1/12/2013 4:25:03 PM
Linetrix failing again.

Poor kid, you'll be right one of these days son.

Keep your chin up.

Thanks for to TC.

Most reasonable and intelligent people understand this, it's the slower ones (Linetrix for example) that just will never be able to use higher level understanding.
---
If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.
#78Sharky8(Topic Creator)Posted 1/12/2013 5:55:29 PM
Oh, and we know you didn't buy a Wii U and then return it because you dislike it. People need to stop posting topics like this. Stores don't take electronics back because you dislike them.
#79Xeeh_BitzPosted 1/12/2013 7:36:04 PM
Sharky8 posted...

2.5 million units in the first 2 months is strong. Strong enough to probably beat the next Sony and Microsoft systems. But certainly strong enough to keep Nintendo in the console market.

I never claimed Nintendo was going under and it depends on how well Microsoft and Sony keeps their next generation consoles in stock during launch, if it's not in stock you can't sell it, which no doubt hurt the 360 launch
---
To be fair, the bible has more plot holes than ME3. I wouldn't be listening either - Pies12
#80GNSatanPosted 1/13/2013 8:04:37 AM
Awesome Linetrix and ElGado are here. Time to laugh and enjoy some popcorn. :-)
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrRantism?feature=guide