Why is Nintendo's hardware so behind?

#61PendragoonPosted 1/13/2013 8:51:46 PM(edited)
BlueFlameBat posted...
How would Sony's anti-used-game strategy even work? Require their consoles to be online all the time or at least frequently connected for verification purposes? Hard as it is to believe, not every game has a constant internet connection, and no internet connection is 100% immune to disconnections except possibly ultra-expensive infrastructures that few households could afford. I'm pretty sure this anti-used game strategy would also mean no rentals or borrowing either, making trying before buying extremely limited, since a lot of games don't have playable demos. Maybe Sony is hoping its fans will start buying blindly or paying for PS+ and one-hour trials. If that's the case, I hope it doesn't work. Ouya is on the horizon so it's not like we need all these first-party companies.

The patent used RF ID chips, a lot of retail stores use them to track inventory. Almost every piece of clothing in Walmart has one attached. They are cheap, and can easily be programmed and re written once scanned by the console.
---
Know Japanese? Post your advice in the topic below!
http://gamefaqs.com/boards/316-gamefaqs-world-japan/63714709
#62teamaquashockPosted 1/13/2013 8:34:03 PM
CranberryPSO posted...
This is the real answer:

Nintendo's goal is to make money, and their approach to this is to attempt to release consoles that are affordable and offer something new to set them apart from the competitors. They are trying to base their products on innovation rather than expensive tech.

The Wii's motion controls, The WiiU's gamepad, the DS's touch screen, the 3DS 3d screens, the GameCube's GBA connectivity, and the Virtual Boys 3D experience are a few examples. Some of these innovations caught on, and others did not.

Nintendo also wants their products to be profitable as quickly as possible. Selling high tech consoles at a loss is a risky move, and Nintendo tries to avoid this. Even though the WiiU is sold at a loss, its reportedly profitable when 1 game is purchased, so it's a very minimal risk with Nintendo.

Sony and Microsoft on the other hand tend to release more expensive tech and has features that Nintendo lacks, but their consoles are often more expensive and sold at a significant loss. Microsoft and Sony are counting on software sales to make up for that initial loss. If their console doesn't do well, they stand to lose a lot of money. This is a risky move, but if it pays off it puts you in a good position.

Nintendo tries to take a safer road, and counts on innovations and lower prices of their products to carry them. It's an approach that has served them well as even when their competition outsells them, Ninendos has still had a profitable run with their system due to their less risky tactics.

---
Palutena: "I really can't imagine you being in a "melee".
Pit: "That's because I wasn't -_-" 3DS Friend Code: 0430-9368-3384
#63DemonDog666Posted 1/13/2013 8:37:00 PM
squatch22 posted...
Because power really doesnt matter.

Looks at wii games

Looks at ps3 games

Looks at wii games again, shakes head.
#64miraimikePosted 1/13/2013 9:00:50 PM
The_King82 posted...
They cheap out on the hardware and over price the console to ripoff nintendrones.

Oh the irony.
---
-Mike 3DS Friend Code: 2148-8168-3762 Street Fighter IV
"Everyone's entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts"
#65geneticsftwPosted 1/13/2013 9:23:56 PM
DemonDog666 posted...
squatch22 posted...
Because power really doesnt matter.

Looks at wii games

Looks at ps3 games

Looks at wii games again, shakes head.

Wag tail?
---
Sweet
#66ElectricMolePosted 1/13/2013 9:29:10 PM(edited)
something scarred nintendo for life during the gamecube era and now they're really conservative and budget conscious about hardware components.

Its cheaper to think of new ways to play a game than to beef up the hardware.

thats another way of looking at nintendo post-gamecube.

hardware power is definitely important, but its not the MOST important thing to nintendo like it is to other companies.

---
NinNetID: ElectricMole, PSN: kronekodow7188
#67BlueFlameBatPosted 1/16/2013 7:39:10 PM(edited)
The future looks bleak for console gamers, at least the ones who are not loyal and easily satisfied. Wii U has a host of problems that aren't even technically bugs so they're not likely to be changed, no renting games with the PS4, and if XBox 360 is any indication, Microsoft is worse at making hardware than making Operating Systems ... that don't always know how to frickin' sleep!! Anyway, I don't have much faith in the reliability of Microsoft's next console. I could either pick my poison or try something with something to prove: Ouya. Ouya may not even be as powerful as Wii U, but at least it encourages people to tinker with it, whereas Nintendo is doing everything in its power to make sure its gamers don't get one bit creative.
---
"BlueFlameBat has not entered any biographical information. It's probably none of your damn business anyway." -G4TV profile
There is still no escape.
#68YamiYugi4400Posted 1/16/2013 7:40:32 PM
Because they spent too much money on the gamepad, they couldn't afford better hardware
---
Exodia - Obliterate!!!