Why are people comparing Wii U to 360 and PS3?

#51SolisPosted 1/13/2013 9:16:05 PM
anon_fire posted...
This, Wii Mini is just a 2nd revision of the Wii.

Similar revisions include the following:

XBOX 360 > XBOX 360 Slim
PS3 > PS3 Slim > PS3 Super Slim
PSP > PSP-2000 > PSP-3000 > PSP Go
NDS > NDS Lite > NDSi >NDSi XL
3DS > 3DS XL
Game Boy > Game Boy Pocket > Game Boy Light > Game Boy Color
GBA > GBA SP > GBA Micro

Need I say more?

While most of those follow suit, I've been very surprised the DSi considered a "revision" of the DS, when it's substantially different from the DS in featureset and hardware capabilities. It has twice the CPU/graphical rendering performance, 4 times as much RAM, onboard storage that's expandable through SD cards (the original DS had no storage at all), upgradable firmware, front and rear cameras, and access to the online store. Several games were exclusive to the DSi, and conversely several games and features from the DS weren't available on the DSi. Why would it be considered the same as other revisions that merely change the aesthetic aspects of the system?

The Gameboy Color is definitely considered a successor to the Gameboy rather than a revision of it, though.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#52TheBonfiniPosted 1/13/2013 9:21:14 PM
Freedom of speech.

Aside from that, I'd wager that they all compete for our dollars and most people adhere to an entertainment budget.
---
www.facebook.com/mikebonfini
Sapphic ladies - http://i.imgur.com/hU2rJ.jpg
#53miraimikePosted 1/13/2013 9:34:36 PM
It would seem logical that the generations are based more on competition than on time or power. Time is more of a technicality, because competitors necessarily exist at the same moment. Power is a technicality also, because the trend has been that competitors have traditionally unveiled consoles of similar power.

The Wii is obviously not of the same generation as the Gamecube. They're not competitors, in spite of similarities in power. If I buy a Wii, it's taking away from my potential purchase of a PS3 right now. If I buy a Wii U, it's taking away from my potential purchase of a 360 or PS3, but Nintendo's intent is that the Wii U will be a preference against the next iterations of Microsoft's and Sony's consoles. That's why Game Boy and the technologically superior Game Gear were in the same generation: they competed for the same dollars.
---
-Mike 3DS Friend Code: 2148-8168-3762 Street Fighter IV
"Everyone's entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts"
#54geneticsftwPosted 1/13/2013 10:00:31 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#55badmanneil(Topic Creator)Posted 1/14/2013 1:36:20 AM
So i've read all the posts and i am so confused lol. Basically most everyone is saying that Wii U is Nintendo's answer to the Xbox 360 and PS3 competition because of power specs. That makes no sense to me and from a business perspective was to be the worst business model ever. This means that nintendo will always be behind, that they will never be able to compete with sony or microsoft once their next systems come out. This is how ive always seen it:

N64 meant to compete with PS1
Gamecube meant to compete with PS2
Wii meant to compete with xbox 360 and ps3
Wii U meant to compete with ps4 and "xbox 720"

Why would nintendo release wii u with the intention of competing with 360 and ps3. It makes no sense, by E3 this year no one will care about 360 or ps3 anymore.
---
Gamertag: Krazzy Bananas
#56beetle717Posted 1/14/2013 2:31:51 AM
silverbullt posted...
badmanneil posted...
Wii U is a next-gen console. Xbox and PS3 are in their last year. There isn't another next gen console to compare the Wii U to. I would rather wait and see what the other companies have before running my mouth about something that makes no logical sense.

You missed the part where Nintendo skipped a generation with the Wii.

Wii U is Nintendo's answer to the X360 and PS3 so they're all happily in the same gen now.

No the Wii was Nintendo's answer to X360 and PS3. And it defeated them soundly.
---
Why is it my dog can hold it's bladder for 8 hours while I'm at work but only 25 mins when I'm home?
#57beetle717Posted 1/14/2013 2:33:46 AM
Not_King_Boo posted...
PS - For extra fun, read that in the voice of Vizzini from The Princess Bride.

Truly you have a dizzying intellect.
---
Why is it my dog can hold it's bladder for 8 hours while I'm at work but only 25 mins when I'm home?
#58beetle717Posted 1/14/2013 4:22:30 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#59EstilPosted 1/14/2013 4:27:18 AM
Because PS3/X360 fans think their upcoming 8th gen consoles will be so awesome and so great, and will be nothing like the "not a real 8th gen console with the funny college name". This despite the fact we still have heard barely a word (at least officially) about what their specs are or in general what they can do.

But let's see if they're still saying that when their great cutting edge technology console won't be out for at least a year from now, will no doubt be up to $500-$600, and quite likely (at least the PS4) will lock out used games.
---
"Why a numeric keypad!? This is a video game controller, not a phone!!"
--Angry Video Game Nerd regarding the Intellivision controller
#60AlexPumaPosted 1/14/2013 5:51:17 AM
The Atari 7800 was widely considered to be in the 3rd generation, despite being less powerful than the NES, and being much, much less powerful than the Master System.

Turbografx16 was clearly 4th gen despite being nowhere near the Genesis or SNES in power.

Saturn and Dreamcast were 5th and 6th gen respectively, and they were outpreformed by their competetors. Heck the PS2 was weak compared to the Xbox and Gamecube yet nobody disputes it being a 6th gen console.

The only time it really got muddy is between the 4th and 5th gen with consoles like the 3D0, CD-i, and Jaguar attempting to jumpstart the next gen before it was ready.
---
http://www.gaming-unleashed.com/
"Oh I can handle any load that comes my way....." - Savott