Limits for Demo's?

#21Baha05Posted 1/14/2013 1:04:58 PM
TheBonfini posted...
It is a new system out and when people get one they want to show it off. Not allowing people to showcase the games to people who are curious but maybe not willing to make the plunge will end up hurting Nintendo more than the apparent risk that people will just repeat the demos over and over for their own enjoyment.

You go to a friends house and see a Wii-U..

"OMG let me try some games!"
"Can't Nintendo limits the amount of times I can showcase the gameplay."

That would lead to more disappointment. It isn't like the demos offer much.

True enough, it'll be an issue with more limited demos (5-10). Though there might be better chances for showing off the full game as Nintendo is really bad at releasing demos at the moment.
---
"Gamestop will not be around in 10 years because physical games will no longer exist, it'll all be digital" Xeeh_Bitz
#22P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 1/14/2013 1:07:25 PM
Eoin posted...
P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N posted...
It's not forced with games having demos that go from 5 uses to 30.

If this were actually accurate, then it would be forced. If developers could only choose any number between 5 and 30, then they'd still be forced to choose that number.

Thankfully it seems very possible that developers can choose not to pointlessly limit their demos, since presumably the same rule that apply to 3DS demos apply to Wii U demos also.

I don't see a problem but whatever.
---
Hello... you lost me at "hello"...
Currently Playing: Zelda2, Manhunt2, One Piece
#23ThreinfhirPosted 1/14/2013 1:07:46 PM
P_A_N_E_R_A_B_R_E_A_D posted...
Nintendo allows developers to add varying limits to their demos so that you cannot just use the demo. Eventually the demo runs out and if you want to keep playing it you would need to buy the game.

This.
---
NNID: Threinfhir
#24TheBonfiniPosted 1/14/2013 1:15:27 PM
Eoin posted...
It's not forced with games having demos that go from 5 uses to 30.

If this were actually accurate, then it would be forced. If developers could only choose any number between 5 and 30, then they'd still be forced to choose that number.

Thankfully it seems very possible that developers can choose not to pointlessly limit their demos, since presumably the same rule that apply to 3DS demos apply to Wii U demos also.

I don't see a problem but whatever.

Demos are to demo the game for people. Why is Nintendo hurting the chances of developers having their game showcased for people with some arbitrary limit?

Did Nintendo actually come out and say they don't want people to just play the demo over and over and not buy the game? Because that is a pretty LOLworthy excuse.
---
www.facebook.com/mikebonfini
Sapphic ladies - http://i.imgur.com/hU2rJ.jpg
#25Baha05Posted 1/14/2013 1:19:17 PM
TheBonfini posted...
Demos are to demo the game for people. Why is Nintendo hurting the chances of developers having their game showcased for people with some arbitrary limit?

Did Nintendo actually come out and say they don't want people to just play the demo over and over and not buy the game? Because that is a pretty LOLworthy excuse.

Well it's not like the demos aren't there (and in some cases I hear that devs can choose the limit anyhow). And thelimit doesn't hurt the showcasing of the game, more so in this and the past generation.

And I'm not sure if they ever said that or not but for an excuse it makes some bit of sense. (and with a 30 demo limit it'll be hard to really use up and if one does use up the demo limit I think it's time to buy the game or not)
---
"Gamestop will not be around in 10 years because physical games will no longer exist, it'll all be digital" Xeeh_Bitz
#26Jaime_BennPosted 1/14/2013 1:22:17 PM
The PSX demo disc that came with the console contained Parappa the Rapper. That's all I needed for a while.
---
According to Pachter, my i5 and 7850 is weak :(
#27NiftyManZPosted 1/14/2013 1:25:03 PM
Jaime_Benn posted...
The PSX demo disc that came with the console contained Parappa the Rapper. That's all I needed for a while.

I did not buy a single game on that cd, yet played it for hours... I understand why a limit was put on.
---
BREAK IT DOWN KIRBY!! (^'-')^ (^'-')> (>'-')> <('-'^) ^('-'^) (^'-')^ (^'-')> (>'-')> <('-'^) ^('-'^)
#28trenkenPosted 1/14/2013 1:27:35 PM(edited)
xXHPLinkXx posted...
Why on Earth does Nintendo limit the amount of times a Demo can be played? That's so dumb. Is there any reason for this?

You seriously need to play a demo more than 30 times to know if you want the game or not? The demo only exists so you can sample the game. Who the heck plays any demo more than 30 times? I play a demo maybe twice at most, and at that point I make my decision to buy or not.

They didnt build that demo to provide you with something to play through 500 times. Thats not the point of a demo. They want you to buy the game.

---
WiiU | CygnusZero ///// 3DS | 1504-5688-7256
PS3 | CygnusZero
#29TheBonfiniPosted 1/14/2013 1:29:15 PM
Baha05 posted...
TheBonfini posted...

Well it's not like the demos aren't there (and in some cases I hear that devs can choose the limit anyhow). And thelimit doesn't hurt the showcasing of the game, more so in this and the past generation.

And I'm not sure if they ever said that or not but for an excuse it makes some bit of sense. (and with a 30 demo limit it'll be hard to really use up and if one does use up the demo limit I think it's time to buy the game or not)

Ok, the point is that demos are designed to DEMO THE GAME. Do I walk into FutureShop and play a demo console and then get told I can't because other customers have already played it too much?

It doesn't make any sense that demos suddenly become worthless to demo the game.

You get a brand new system, all your friends and family want to give it a shot.. It isn't inconceivable to run out of these demos. And it is disappointing to the next person that wants to try it and you have to explain that you are unable to do it. It is a restriction that will cause far more harm than good.

Anyone who is going to run out of 30 trial runs on their own isn't going to ever buy the game anyways, so what is the difference? The demos are designed to showcase the game to a new audience.
---
www.facebook.com/mikebonfini
Sapphic ladies - http://i.imgur.com/hU2rJ.jpg
#30DiscostewSMPosted 1/14/2013 1:30:35 PM
Store managers get quite annoyed when a customer comes in and tries out the same free samples day in and day out without buying anything.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project