Limits for Demo's?

#31TheBonfiniPosted 1/14/2013 12:32:39 PM
NiftyManZ posted...
Jaime_Benn posted...
The PSX demo disc that came with the console contained Parappa the Rapper. That's all I needed for a while.

I did not buy a single game on that cd, yet played it for hours... I understand why a limit was put on.

Why have demos at all then?

Anyone who plays a demo 30 times obviously has no intention of buying the game anyways. The demo is to show to different people. You get a group over and each one tries it out a few times to see if they like it. It just doesn't make sense to have a cap on it.

If Nintendo is worried that people are going to just sit and play the same demo over and over and over and not buy any of their games because a demo is just as good, than they have a lot of other things to worry about.
---
www.facebook.com/mikebonfini
Sapphic ladies - http://i.imgur.com/hU2rJ.jpg
#32Baha05Posted 1/14/2013 12:33:01 PM
TheBonfini posted...
Ok, the point is that demos are designed to DEMO THE GAME. Do I walk into FutureShop and play a demo console and then get told I can't because other customers have already played it too much?

It doesn't make any sense that demos suddenly become worthless to demo the game.

You get a brand new system, all your friends and family want to give it a shot.. It isn't inconceivable to run out of these demos. And it is disappointing to the next person that wants to try it and you have to explain that you are unable to do it. It is a restriction that will cause far more harm than good.

Anyone who is going to run out of 30 trial runs on their own isn't going to ever buy the game anyways, so what is the difference? The demos are designed to showcase the game to a new audience.

Yeah and those demonstrations are often small anyhow, the point is at best an experiment to get people to buy the game. If one or more people or friends try the demo and don't like it chances are there will be plenty of plays. If you do use the demo up and you enjoyed it doesn't it make more sense to BUY the game?
---
"Gamestop will not be around in 10 years because physical games will no longer exist, it'll all be digital" Xeeh_Bitz
#33NiftyManZPosted 1/14/2013 12:34:25 PM
TheBonfini posted...
Baha05 posted...
TheBonfini posted...
Demos are to demo the game for people. Why is Nintendo hurting the chances of developers having their game showcased for people with some arbitrary limit?

Did Nintendo actually come out and say they don't want people to just play the demo over and over and not buy the game? Because that is a pretty LOLworthy excuse.

Well it's not like the demos aren't there (and in some cases I hear that devs can choose the limit anyhow). And thelimit doesn't hurt the showcasing of the game, more so in this and the past generation.

And I'm not sure if they ever said that or not but for an excuse it makes some bit of sense. (and with a 30 demo limit it'll be hard to really use up and if one does use up the demo limit I think it's time to buy the game or not)

Ok, the point is that demos are designed to DEMO THE GAME. Do I walk into FutureShop and play a demo console and then get told I can't because other customers have already played it too much?

It doesn't make any sense that demos suddenly become worthless to demo the game.

You get a brand new system, all your friends and family want to give it a shot.. It isn't inconceivable to run out of these demos. And it is disappointing to the next person that wants to try it and you have to explain that you are unable to do it. It is a restriction that will cause far more harm than good.

Anyone who is going to run out of 30 trial runs on their own isn't going to ever buy the game anyways, so what is the difference? The demos are designed to showcase the game to a new audience.

So you expect me to show the demo 30+ times to my friends? Exiting every time? Wow. Talk about being popular...
---
BREAK IT DOWN KIRBY!! (^'-')^ (^'-')> (>'-')> <('-'^) ^('-'^) (^'-')^ (^'-')> (>'-')> <('-'^) ^('-'^)
#34TheBonfiniPosted 1/14/2013 12:34:53 PM
DiscostewSM posted...
Store managers get quite annoyed when a customer comes in and tries out the same free samples day in and day out without buying anything.

Oh do they? Do they get mad when that same person tells all their friends who can afford to buy the game that it is so amazing they have to keep going back to play it, it is so good?
---
#35TheBonfiniPosted 1/14/2013 12:38:01 PM
Baha05 posted...
TheBonfini posted...

Yeah and those demonstrations are often small anyhow, the point is at best an experiment to get people to buy the game. If one or more people or friends try the demo and don't like it chances are there will be plenty of plays. If you do use the demo up and you enjoyed it doesn't it make more sense to BUY the game?

Ya it does, but guess what? If you play a game demo 30 times and STILL haven't bought it you weren't going to buy the game anyways.

Demos should still be able to serve their purpose, which is to DEMO the game.

My god, you are all using excuses back when you were kids and couldn't afford to buy games as your reasoning for this restriction.

I played the Spyro demo repeatedly because I loved it but I couldn't afford to buy it. I still talked about it with all my friends how awesome it was. Now when they come over to play it they can't??? That hurts more than it helps..
---
#36Reflex-ArcPosted 1/14/2013 12:41:36 PM
Non issue is a non issue.
---
I like video games.
#37Baha05Posted 1/14/2013 12:41:58 PM
TheBonfini posted...
Ya it does, but guess what? If you play a game demo 30 times and STILL haven't bought it you weren't going to buy the game anyways.

My god, you are all using excuses back when you were kids and couldn't afford to buy games as your reasoning for this restriction.

I played the Spyro demo repeatedly because I loved it but I couldn't afford to buy it. I still talked about it with all my friends how awesome it was. Now when they come over to play it they can't??? That hurts more than it helps..

Then chances are it must have not been that great of a game. Besides there are other means to show a game off.

And it boils down to the fact that simply inviting people to play a demo is really kind of sad in a sense and if you say plan to invit people over to demo a gamethen you could ohh I don't know, not use up all the demo limits to begin with.
---
"Gamestop will not be around in 10 years because physical games will no longer exist, it'll all be digital" Xeeh_Bitz
#38TheBonfiniPosted 1/14/2013 12:45:54 PM
Baha05 posted...
TheBonfini posted...

Then chances are it must have not been that great of a game. Besides there are other means to show a game off.

And it boils down to the fact that simply inviting people to play a demo is really kind of sad in a sense and if you say plan to invit people over to demo a gamethen you could ohh I don't know, not use up all the demo limits to begin with.

Do you not know how kids are? They are selfish, rotten brats. A demo can be fun, a demo can be very fun. It wouldn't take more than a few bored nights for a person to exhaust the demo limit. They talk about how they are addicted to the demo of this game and now their friends are curious about it and the game can't be demo'd for them.

Do you not see how this restriction hurts more than it helps and why people scoff at the idea of paying for demos?
---
#39Baha05Posted 1/14/2013 12:47:38 PM
TheBonfini posted...
Do you not know how kids are? They are selfish, rotten brats. A demo can be fun, a demo can be very fun. It wouldn't take more than a few bored nights for a person to exhaust the demo limit. They talk about how they are addicted to the demo of this game and now their friends are curious about it and the game can't be demo'd for them.

Do you not see how this restriction hurts more than it helps and why people scoff at the idea of paying for demos?

Well then it's really only an issue for kids, but to adults it becomes a non issue all together.
---
#40ZimmyPosted 1/14/2013 12:51:57 PM
I love how people frame their answers to fit their argument.

The question isn't should there be limits.

It is, why are there limits at all?

I have downloaded demos on all platforms and Nintendo is the only one that has this limit nonsense.

It really is a non issue since If I am playing the demo 30 times, I should be buying the game.

The better approach is to let you download the full game and have an hour timer like how PSN does.