Limits for Demo's?

#51Baha05Posted 1/14/2013 2:04:44 PM
TheBonfini posted...
Who would brag about that? Brag? Who said that? Stop making up words to put in the discussion that have no point in being used.

Why would someone be foolish talking about a game that has them so hooked they have played the demo multiple times?

How does it hurt devs that people play their demo? If it really hurt devs then there would not be demos.

Who would brag/talk about how good the game is that they used up the demo? The person that used up the demo.

And it's foolish to push a game that you have not had full experience playing it and only played a demo.

Also in these cases if one uses up a demo limits or plays only the demos without limits but doesn't buy the final product hurts devs because now you have people that could have the money to buy a game only play the demo.
---
"Gamestop will not be around in 10 years because physical games will no longer exist, it'll all be digital" Xeeh_Bitz
#52DiscostewSMPosted 1/14/2013 2:06:52 PM
"Hey guys, look! This demo is amazing!"

"You plan on buying the full game?"

"lol, no way! Why would I want to buy it if I can play this demo unlimited times?"

"So you're saying it isn't worth buying?"
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#53IcecreamdunwichPosted 1/14/2013 2:08:03 PM
The amount of people that 'only play the demo' are such a small amount of people that I don't know why they even bother. Plus a demo is an advertisement, why limit an advertisement? It's not a gift lol
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#54TheBonfiniPosted 1/14/2013 2:09:10 PM
Baha05 posted...
TheBonfini posted...
Who would brag about that? Brag? Who said that? Stop making up words to put in the discussion that have no point in being used.

Why would someone be foolish talking about a game that has them so hooked they have played the demo multiple times?

How does it hurt devs that people play their demo? If it really hurt devs then there would not be demos.

Who would brag/talk about how good the game is that they used up the demo? The person that used up the demo.

And it's foolish to push a game that you have not had full experience playing it and only played a demo.

Also in these cases if one uses up a demo limits or plays only the demos without limits but doesn't buy the final product hurts devs because now you have people that could have the money to buy a game only play the demo.

You think brag and talk are interchangeable? No one BRAGS that they used up the arbitrary limit on a demo. People might say they enjoyed this demo so much they ran out of play throughs and they wish they could afford the full game.

WOW! Now you are saying demos are POINTLESS to begin with! LOL.

Why would someone who had the money not buy the full game if they enjoy the demo so much?? Do you not know what a point of a demo is? You have to be trolling at this point.
---
www.facebook.com/mikebonfini
Sapphic ladies - http://i.imgur.com/hU2rJ.jpg
#55NiftyManZPosted 1/14/2013 2:09:11 PM
People who play a demo over and over and over were not in a position to purchase the game anyways. Quenches your thirst? If I loved a game so much I played the demo 30 damn times I would want that game. Don't you see that?

Now if I talk to my buddies about it, they get curious, and want to see it.. Now they can't demo the game. That isn't good for Nintendo or the developer.

You guys act like there is some amazing demo out there that is as good as the full game.

Why pay 60 dollars for a game if I get unlimited enjoyment out of the demo?
---
BREAK IT DOWN KIRBY!! (^'-')^ (^'-')> (>'-')> <('-'^) ^('-'^) (^'-')^ (^'-')> (>'-')> <('-'^) ^('-'^)
#56EoinPosted 1/14/2013 2:10:22 PM
This hypothetical person who will keep playing a demo forever, but will buy a game if the demo is limited....does not exist (or at least exists in such a small number of cases as to be statistically insignificant).

Let's go through the possibilities of why someone would happily play the demo a large number of times without buying it:

1. They don't have the money. Limiting the demo doesn't change this in any way.

2. They will have the money later and at that point will buy the game. In this case, all that limiting the demo does is force them to stop playing the game in any form, thus also pushing it further out of their minds, making them less likely to buy it later.

3. They feel that the game is so limited that the demo sufficiently replicates the experience and there is no need to buy the game as long as they have the demo. Am I stretching things to say that people who are satiated by a demo are unlikely to buy the game? There are several games I don't own for exactly that reason. I wouldn't own them if there was a limit, either.

Any other circumstance that I'm missing?

Oh, and of course the key question, often forgotten on the various system boards, is this: does this benefit you, in any way, as a customer? Of course, in this case, it obviously does not.
#57TheBonfiniPosted 1/14/2013 2:11:30 PM
NiftyManZ posted...
People who play a demo over and over and over were not in a position to purchase the game anyways. Quenches your thirst? If I loved a game so much I played the demo 30 damn times I would want that game. Don't you see that?

Now if I talk to my buddies about it, they get curious, and want to see it.. Now they can't demo the game. That isn't good for Nintendo or the developer.

You guys act like there is some amazing demo out there that is as good as the full game.

How can you be serious?

Why buy a full game when a demo is but a small fraction of the experience?? Hmmmm Let me think about that...

Why go to a movie if you can watch the trailer on YouTube for free??
---
www.facebook.com/mikebonfini
Sapphic ladies - http://i.imgur.com/hU2rJ.jpg
#58EoinPosted 1/14/2013 2:11:46 PM
NiftyManZ posted...

Why pay US$60 for a game if it's so incredibly limited and narrow that the demo would have given you all the same enjoyment, if only there wasn't a silly limit on it?
#59Baha05Posted 1/14/2013 2:12:51 PM
TheBonfini posted...
You think brag and talk are interchangeable? No one BRAGS that they used up the arbitrary limit on a demo. People might say they enjoyed this demo so much they ran out of play throughs and they wish they could afford the full game.

WOW! Now you are saying demos are POINTLESS to begin with! LOL.

Why would someone who had the money not buy the full game if they enjoy the demo so much?? Do you not know what a point of a demo is? You have to be trolling at this point.

I'm not talking about bragging about using up the limits, I'm talking about the game demo itself. Maybe brag isn't the word, maybe pitching the demo out would be better.

And no I'm not saying demos are pointless, I'm saying it's pointless to say how good a game is if you only played the demo and have not once touched the final product, big difference.

And that's what I'm trying to figure out with demos, because there are people that enjoyed the demo for a long time, have the money, and never buy the full product. Or those that just play the demo too much. It's rare but it happens. Having a limit doesn't hurt developers at all. Having people enjoy a demo but not buying the game does though.
---
"Gamestop will not be around in 10 years because physical games will no longer exist, it'll all be digital" Xeeh_Bitz
#60IcecreamdunwichPosted 1/14/2013 2:13:33 PM
Eoin posted...
This hypothetical person who will keep playing a demo forever, but will buy a game if the demo is limited....does not exist (or at least exists in such a small number of cases as to be statistically insignificant).

Let's go through the possibilities of why someone would happily play the demo a large number of times without buying it:

1. They don't have the money. Limiting the demo doesn't change this in any way.

2. They will have the money later and at that point will buy the game. In this case, all that limiting the demo does is force them to stop playing the game in any form, thus also pushing it further out of their minds, making them less likely to buy it later.

3. They feel that the game is so limited that the demo sufficiently replicates the experience and there is no need to buy the game as long as they have the demo. Am I stretching things to say that people who are satiated by a demo are unlikely to buy the game? There are several games I don't own for exactly that reason. I wouldn't own them if there was a limit, either.

Any other circumstance that I'm missing?

Oh, and of course the key question, often forgotten on the various system boards, is this: does this benefit you, in any way, as a customer? Of course, in this case, it obviously does not.

10000% correct. If Sony or Microsoft did this they would be jumping on how it's anti consumer (like the rumored anti used game patents) but since it's Nintendo they will okay it.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10