Limits for Demo's?

#61TheBonfiniPosted 1/14/2013 1:14:39 PM
Eoin posted...
This hypothetical person who will keep playing a demo forever, but will buy a game if the demo is limited....does not exist (or at least exists in such a small number of cases as to be statistically insignificant).

Let's go through the possibilities of why someone would happily play the demo a large number of times without buying it:

1. They don't have the money. Limiting the demo doesn't change this in any way.

2. They will have the money later and at that point will buy the game. In this case, all that limiting the demo does is force them to stop playing the game in any form, thus also pushing it further out of their minds, making them less likely to buy it later.

3. They feel that the game is so limited that the demo sufficiently replicates the experience and there is no need to buy the game as long as they have the demo. Am I stretching things to say that people who are satiated by a demo are unlikely to buy the game? There are several games I don't own for exactly that reason. I wouldn't own them if there was a limit, either.

Any other circumstance that I'm missing?

Oh, and of course the key question, often forgotten on the various system boards, is this: does this benefit you, in any way, as a customer? Of course, in this case, it obviously does not.

Thank you for so succinctly putting into a coherent post all I am trying to say.

There is no benefit for the customers, OR, the developers OR Nintendo to limit an advertisement of a game, PERIOD.
---
www.facebook.com/mikebonfini
Sapphic ladies - http://i.imgur.com/hU2rJ.jpg
#62IcecreamdunwichPosted 1/14/2013 1:15:44 PM
B-b-b-but Baha told me that there are BAD people that will just play the demos and my favorite developers will go out of business! :(
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#63Final Fantasy2389Posted 1/14/2013 1:17:41 PM(edited)
Going back to the playstation demo discs.

I had a Playstation Underground demo disc that had Matt Hoffman's Pro BMX on it (like Tony Hawk, but with bikes) and my friend and I would do the 2 minute demo on that game literally for hours on end. Improving high scores and lines and s***. I never bought the game and neither did he but we both loved it.
---
WWE Diva and SES season 1 winner. Smart. Sexy. Powerful. Eve Torres <3
http://bit.ly/MMcHX9 | http://bit.ly/KXA8Rg | http://bit.ly/RQBee0
#64TheBonfiniPosted 1/14/2013 1:20:06 PM
Baha05 posted...
TheBonfini posted...
You think brag and talk are interchangeable? No one BRAGS that they used up the arbitrary limit on a demo. People might say they enjoyed this demo so much they ran out of play throughs and they wish they could afford the full game.

WOW! Now you are saying demos are POINTLESS to begin with! LOL.

Why would someone who had the money not buy the full game if they enjoy the demo so much?? Do you not know what a point of a demo is? You have to be trolling at this point.

I'm not talking about bragging about using up the limits, I'm talking about the game demo itself. Maybe brag isn't the word, maybe pitching the demo out would be better.

And no I'm not saying demos are pointless, I'm saying it's pointless to say how good a game is if you only played the demo and have not once touched the final product, big difference.

And that's what I'm trying to figure out with demos, because there are people that enjoyed the demo for a long time, have the money, and never buy the full product. Or those that just play the demo too much. It's rare but it happens. Having a limit doesn't hurt developers at all. Having people enjoy a demo but not buying the game does though.

So you are saying that one can't come to a reasonable conclusion of a game based on a DEMO of the game. What you are suggesting is pointless IS the ENTIRE point of a demo.

Having a limit DOES hurt the developers because it takes peoples ability to ADVERTISE the game to people AWAY from them.

Having people enjoy a demo and hopefully talk about it to people and tell them how much they enjoyed the demo does NOT hurt anyone. It is the ENTIRE point of the demo. It gets word of mouth out which leads to sales, assuming the word of mouth is positive. It only hurts developers if the demo sucks, and in that case, too bad for releasing a crappy demo.
---
#65TheBonfiniPosted 1/14/2013 1:22:23 PM
Final Fantasy2389 posted...
Going back to the playstation demo discs.

I had a Playstation Underground demo disc that had Matt Hoffman's Pro BMX on it (like Tony Hawk, but with bikes) and my friend and I would do the 2 minute demo on that game literally for hours on end. Improving high scores and lines and s***. I never bought the game and neither did he but we both loved it.

Why didn't you buy it if you loved the demo so much? Did you have a lot of disposable income back then? Were you smart enough to realize you were missing out on 90% of the game?
---
#66BuretsuPosted 1/14/2013 1:24:18 PM
TheBonfini posted...
There is no benefit for the customers, OR, the developers OR Nintendo to limit an advertisement of a game, PERIOD.

So EA and Sega are just shooting themselves in the foot by setting the limits for the Fifa 2013 and Sonic Racing demos to 10 and 15 respectively?
---
no i tried resetting game i even start violent slamming cartridge on wall but all it does make static noise when i put into DS, the problem not fix! -ReconUnit
#67Baha05Posted 1/14/2013 1:24:22 PM
TheBonfini posted...
So you are saying that one can't come to a reasonable conclusion of a game based on a DEMO of the game. What you are suggesting is pointless IS the ENTIRE point of a demo.

Having a limit DOES hurt the developers because it takes peoples ability to ADVERTISE the game to people AWAY from them.

Having people enjoy a demo and hopefully talk about it to people and tell them how much they enjoyed the demo does NOT hurt anyone. It is the ENTIRE point of the demo. It gets word of mouth out which leads to sales, assuming the word of mouth is positive. It only hurts developers if the demo sucks, and in that case, too bad for releasing a crappy demo.

Well considering demos aren't the final product you only get rough estimates on a game from a demo. Sometimes how you feel about a demo might not be how you feel about the final game. I thought the Dead Rising demo was fun, but playing the final product was more a chore.

And it doesn't take away advertising away from developers, because things like commercials exist.

And yes having people enjoy a demo and talking about it doesn't hurt, but having them enjoy a demo, talk about it, yet not buy the product does. Hell if people were say going by word of mouth I'm pretty sure it's a good indication that someone already owns said console so they can try the demo themselves.
---
"Gamestop will not be around in 10 years because physical games will no longer exist, it'll all be digital" Xeeh_Bitz
#68DTY3Posted 1/14/2013 1:26:42 PM
Y34RX3R0 posted...
Hejiru posted...
To make you buy the real game.

I thought this was obvious.

This.

That being said, I dont play demos 30 times but if I did, this would be pretty annoying.
---
Metroid Zero Mission and Super Metroid are some of the finest 2D games ever made and are the best in the series.
Metroid Fusion is pretty cool I guess.
#69TheBonfiniPosted 1/14/2013 1:27:11 PM
Buretsu posted...
TheBonfini posted...

So EA and Sega are just shooting themselves in the foot by setting the limits for the Fifa 2013 and Sonic Racing demos to 10 and 15 respectively?

Shooting themselves in the foot? Take your hyperbole elsewhere.

It sucks for people who could have potentially come to a conclusion about those games and now they can't since there is an arbitrary limit in place.

It kind of reminds me of when developers refuse to release a demo at all... Like what? Are they trying to hide that their game has problems, or something? It is suspect because all a demo is is a free advertisement of the game.
---
#70EoinPosted 1/14/2013 1:30:03 PM
Buretsu posted...

If I were a Wii U developer I'd probably be throwing a big "Unlimited Plays" sign on the eShop image for my demo (assuming that this really is an option for Wii U developers - right now there is no reason to doubt that it's an option). People who won't buy a game with an unlimited demo but who will buy a game with a limited demo may not exist. People, however, definitely will download an unlimited demo in preference to a limited one, even if they won't ever use up the limit (they won't psychically know that before downloading).

EA and Sega might not be "shooting themselves in the foot" (that's a bit overly dramatic), but limited demos aren't likely to be helping them in any way, and no one has produced a really convincing argument otherwise, instead producing these weird caricatures of gamers who play the same demo over and over but run out and buy the moment they can't do that.