Wii U, Who is it for? (long read)

#1silverbulltPosted 1/15/2013 9:16:47 PM
tl;dr at bottom.

Some people are always complaining about trolls and fanboys but consider this honest inquiry.

If the Wii U is trully a next gen system then how come it was made to compete with the X360 and PS3 or their next gen equivalent rather than being it's on thing like the Wii was? If the Wii U is truly a next gen system it has have to offer a compelling reason to make it more of a "next gen" console than the current gen consoles we already have or else why upgrade, specially in this economy?

Sure it's too early to talk about the true potential of the Wii U, but as it is now, what sort of argument can be made that the Wii U offer more compelling experiences when the subject is the Xbox360 and PS3 gamer base(hardcore)? Since Nintendo already have a (inherited)hold on the casual market, what would they have to do to to increase their share in the hardcore market controlled by MS and Sony?

I think it's safe to assume at this point that Nintendo acknowledged(before they started on the Wii U) that they were not going to be able to repeat the success of the Wii no matter what they released next. With that said, what exactly is Nintendo's goal with the Wii U? If we take a look at the cost/benefit of owning a Wii U, it's clear that it offers very little value to the casual market given it's relative high price vs casual experiences. In fact, what reason would a casual have to upgrade to a Wii U when their Wii already serves their gaming needs fine or even better?

Whe we look at the hardcore market, defined by games and services brought by the X360 and PS3 this generation(last), how exactly can the Wii U compete in this segment? People who have been gaming on the Xbox and PS3 platforms have been conditioned to expect certain features from their systems as well as popular platform centric hardcore games. Fatures such as Unified account system, DLC infrastructure, Achievements and a robust online service are now a defining part of their platforms rather than business experiments. Granted these features didn't all release and matured over night, it was a lengthy process but one that nonetheless happened successufully. If Nintendo goal with the Wii U is to make them more visible to this segment of the market, shouldn't they have given more tought into these set of features from the competition? It's not like Nintendo didn't have time to work on said features, they had the whole Wii generation to think about it and devise a plan, and yet they are still struggling with them or worst, completely missing?

So again, what is Nintendo's goal with the Wii U? It seems to me that the Wii U was made for the Nintendo IPs fan and them alone. There are better values out there for casuals and the same is true for the more avid segment of the market. Obviously, this can change long term, but will it? Or more interestingly, (for those of you who have been around long enough) Will Microsoft and Sony actually allow Nintendo to compete in their red ocean? Or will they deny Nintendo like Nintendo denied Sega back in the 8/16bits gen? Is the Wii U a GC 2.0?
---
XBOX360 - It only does everything.
Nintendo FIX the Wii U FFS: http://youtu.be/gl5_qODv-gQ
#2ADHDguitarPosted 1/15/2013 9:18:41 PM
"Hardcore" is the mainstream way to say casual. ie: Someone who only plays the 3 most recent AAA stabby shooty titles.

Who the Wii U is for remains to be seen.
---
Still waiting for Diddy Kong Racing 2
#3KaiRyusakiPosted 1/15/2013 9:24:19 PM
That's not a long read.
It's not even a kilometer.
#4Wiiplayer111Posted 1/15/2013 9:29:44 PM
silverbullt posted...
When we look at the hardcore market, defined by games and services brought by the X360 and PS3 this generation(last)

Oh god I hope that isn't what game developers think we want. The last generation was the most homogenized lump of gaming full of pre-order dlc/dlc/online passes/paytowin crap. I'm not saying there weren't good games but the practices that apparently came with the "hardcore market" are terrible.
---
Look a you.... sticking to the plan.
didyouknowgaming.com
#5DarthFloatyPosted 1/15/2013 9:29:55 PM
I agree with the above. It's not very long, and I honestly don't think "hardcore" gamers make up much of the market.

The Wii U will probably appeal to all sorts of gamers, just like all systems. Now who adopts it the strongest remains to be seen.
#6StealthlysPosted 1/15/2013 9:31:18 PM
If you have played, and completed the following games 100% you are hard core.

Zelda 2
Hylide
Demons Soul.

If not, you are casual level.
#7Baha05Posted 1/15/2013 9:33:18 PM
DarthFloaty posted...
I agree with the above. It's not very long, and I honestly don't think "hardcore" gamers make up much of the market.

The Wii U will probably appeal to all sorts of gamers, just like all systems. Now who adopts it the strongest remains to be seen.

I actually think hardcore is a pretty small amount of the industry, it really boils down to casual players, regular gamers, and then hardcore gamers.
---
"Gamestop will not be around in 10 years because physical games will no longer exist, it'll all be digital" Xeeh_Bitz
#8miraimikePosted 1/15/2013 9:33:23 PM
Stealthlys posted...
If you have played, and completed the following games 100% you are hard core.

Zelda 2
Hylide
Demons Soul.

If not, you are casual level.

I did not complete two of those. However, I did beat Bill Laimbeer's Combat Basketball.
---
-Mike 3DS Friend Code: 2148-8168-3762 Street Fighter IV
"Everyone's entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts"
#9HELZEROPosted 1/15/2013 9:36:14 PM
Silver you make valid points, but what I can tell you is logic has no place on the Wii U board.. Trolling is the only way to get your message slowly across due to those pesky nintendo drones.
---
Give me a real next gen system and an online zelda that revolutionizes gaming and I'll pay $1000 easy.
#10Baha05Posted 1/15/2013 9:39:00 PM
HELZERO posted...
Silver you make valid points, but what I can tell you is logic has no place on the Wii U board.. Trolling is the only way to get your message slowly across due to those pesky nintendo drones.

Well at least you admit that people troll to get a point across.
---
"Gamestop will not be around in 10 years because physical games will no longer exist, it'll all be digital" Xeeh_Bitz