Wii U dies in EU, falters in NA, diving in JPN

#111Baha05Posted 1/16/2013 3:18:29 PM
TheBonfini posted...
Baha, we can all love Nintendo but call a spade a spade.

Unfortunately, the Wii-U is under performing in multiple ways. Sales is just the tip of the ice-burgh that is it's shortcoming that need addressing before it sinks further below expectations.

And I don't JUST mean elitist gamers lofty expectations. Even Nintendo has stated they want to hit over 5 million by March. With each passing week, this number seems to get less and less likely to reach.

If you continue to refuse to acknowledge that their truly are some disappointments about the current state of the Wii-U, than can you at least do one thing for me?

Tell me, what exactly is Nintendo excelling at this point in time? It isn't announcements, procuring TP's, implementing features missing since launch, upgrades to the OS.

The Wii U is doing what is expected that ALL consoles do when they just get launched. There is always drops in sales. But that's how the industry works. However when you imply a system is failing, then the system better actually be failing in that it's getting MASSIVE price drops to get rid of the system.
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich
#112SupaShigPosted 1/16/2013 3:20:09 PM
Icecreamdunwich posted...
Is there anything Nintendo can do? Or are we going to have another N64/GCN gen where the handheld carries the console?

going to try to have a reasonable discussion with you here. Haven't nintendo consoles just been 'compliment' systems since n64? Most people had a main system + that gens nintendo console for exclusives.

Last gen, for instance, I had a ps3+wii. Until I sold my ps3 after becomin an almost exclusive pc gamer. Never sold my wii because of its uniqueness and its potential for fun multiplayer with friends over.

Just saying I definately think nintendo always has a good place in a home, but not usually as your main gaming system, agree?
#113Board_hunter567Posted 1/16/2013 3:32:17 PM(edited)
Your favorite company and future main console will prevail, TC. Once they get more first party software out they'll be fine.
Third party software depends on whether more publishers want to take the risk and actually put some effort into making decent multiplats and exclusives (and whether people will buy them for Wii U or their other systems). The eShop should prove fairly popular with indie devs.
#114TheBonfiniPosted 1/16/2013 3:31:13 PM
Baha05 posted...
TheBonfini posted...
Baha, we can all love Nintendo but call a spade a spade.

Unfortunately, the Wii-U is under performing in multiple ways. Sales is just the tip of the ice-burgh that is it's shortcoming that need addressing before it sinks further below expectations.

And I don't JUST mean elitist gamers lofty expectations. Even Nintendo has stated they want to hit over 5 million by March. With each passing week, this number seems to get less and less likely to reach.

If you continue to refuse to acknowledge that their truly are some disappointments about the current state of the Wii-U, than can you at least do one thing for me?

Tell me, what exactly is Nintendo excelling at this point in time? It isn't announcements, procuring TP's, implementing features missing since launch, upgrades to the OS.

The Wii U is doing what is expected that ALL consoles do when they just get launched. There is always drops in sales. But that's how the industry works. However when you imply a system is failing, then the system better actually be failing in that it's getting MASSIVE price drops to get rid of the system.

Ok, sure when every system launches the library is small and some people wait for that Killer App to buy. (I waited for MGS4 for PS3, for example)
I also acknowledge that sales will be healthy immediately after launch and right before the holidays. I am talking about now. What do you think Nintendo can do to help with the lull in sales so they might have a shot at reaching their sales target.

At the pace they are on, they will not make over 5 million consoles sold worldwide by March.
---
www.facebook.com/mikebonfini
Sapphic ladies - http://i.imgur.com/hU2rJ.jpg
#115Baha05Posted 1/16/2013 3:36:53 PM
TheBonfini posted...
Ok, sure when every system launches the library is small and some people wait for that Killer App to buy. (I waited for MGS4 for PS3, for example)
I also acknowledge that sales will be healthy immediately after launch and right before the holidays. I am talking about now. What do you think Nintendo can do to help with the lull in sales so they might have a shot at reaching their sales target.

At the pace they are on, they will not make over 5 million consoles sold worldwide by March.

Honestly they could announce upcoming games to secure potential buyers. The 5Million+ consoles might be a rough estimate but it would be easy to get when you consider they could give out information on release dates.
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich
#116TheBonfiniPosted 1/16/2013 3:42:35 PM
Baha05 posted...
TheBonfini posted...

Honestly they could announce upcoming games to secure potential buyers. The 5Million+ consoles might be a rough estimate but it would be easy to get when you consider they could give out information on release dates.

That was my first suggestion in this topic too. I don't think sales are going to come easy though, but they have to do something, as the coming soon list is by far the weakest of the consoles. It isn't just that the overall library of games is small, it is that the weekly release schedule is sparse compared to the coming soon lists of the other consoles.

Other than wanting to play the upcoming first party releases of their most popular franchises, what else is supposed to make people make the plunge now as opposed to just waiting until the Mario, Zelda and Metroid are out?
---
www.facebook.com/mikebonfini
Sapphic ladies - http://i.imgur.com/hU2rJ.jpg
#117Baha05Posted 1/16/2013 3:44:43 PM
TheBonfini posted...
That was my first suggestion in this topic too. I don't think sales are going to come easy though, but they have to do something, as the coming soon list is by far the weakest of the consoles. It isn't just that the overall library of games is small, it is that the weekly release schedule is sparse compared to the coming soon lists of the other consoles.

Other than wanting to play the upcoming first party releases of their most popular franchises, what else is supposed to make people make the plunge now as opposed to just waiting until the Mario, Zelda and Metroid are out?

Well that does tend to happen when you try to force compare a newly released console to that of one released 6 years ago that still has life in it. You are bound to get such spaced release,

And new exclusive titles can help as well, be it first or third party games.
---
#118Icecreamdunwich(Topic Creator)Posted 1/16/2013 3:44:47 PM
SupaShig posted...
Icecreamdunwich posted...
Is there anything Nintendo can do? Or are we going to have another N64/GCN gen where the handheld carries the console?

going to try to have a reasonable discussion with you here. Haven't nintendo consoles just been 'compliment' systems since n64? Most people had a main system + that gens nintendo console for exclusives.

Last gen, for instance, I had a ps3+wii. Until I sold my ps3 after becomin an almost exclusive pc gamer. Never sold my wii because of its uniqueness and its potential for fun multiplayer with friends over.

Just saying I definately think nintendo always has a good place in a home, but not usually as your main gaming system, agree?

Yes, Nintendo has been the supplementary console since the N64. People who only own Nintendo consoles end up acting like users such as Squatch and Baha here.

And Bonfini is dead on again, the Wii U is not performing up to par or even up to Nintendo's own standards. How do they expect to meet over 5 million by March when they are slipping every week?
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#119KouramaPosted 1/16/2013 3:46:19 PM
Baha05 posted...
TheBonfini posted...

Announcements would be nice but games need to be released for people to want to buy the console. Games is the only answer to an increase in sales. All the other complaints about the Wii U, even if fixed will not sell the system like games would.

As for the topic title, it definitely reads like a troll topic. Using that same topic name on the Vita board or the DMC board would get the same type of response. People are in severe denial if they don't think that is the case.
#120hailthornPosted 1/16/2013 3:47:36 PM
How is the Wii U really doing? You can judge for yourself. In the U.S., in their respective launch years, this is how each of the last four major consoles sold, from November launch through the end of the December reporting period, according to NPD:

Xbox 360: about 600K
PS3: nearly 700K
Wii: 1.08M
Wii U: 890K
---
Be warned: All of my opinions are wrong.