GamePad drawing secrets?

#11BreakmanDX(Topic Creator)Posted 1/17/2013 6:03:55 AM
Hah, I knew I'd get a few people that mistook the whole thread as me asking "how do u draw good", when I'm more asking how people do some very specific things that seem almost as though there has to be some kind of tool for them.

Now, see, that "straight line trick" with the tapping explains a lot, on THAT front. But with the gradient stuff? Man, I see this gradient stuff on ALMOST EVERY 'quality' image that pops up in the main plaza, somehow or another. If you're seriously telling me that every one of these guys, for every one of these high-quality images, seriously painstakingly taps the absolute perfect pixels of their screen again and again for hours upon hours just to achieve that effect... I'm not buying it.

What makes it especially suspicious is I've seen things like people in Miiverse post images that contain about 5-10 perfect horizontal rows of specific things that look like they were produced by a tool, like a row of perfect squares, various other shapes, various level of gradient (that're perfectly even throughout) etc. Like, to me it looks like a showing-off or trying-out of some tools they've found or created somehow with a somehow-rigged Wii U, it would appear -- I can't fathom someone spending however many hours it'd take to absolutely perfectly produce such things just for one fairly boring post that gets about two Yeahs.

Just keep in mind I'm not asking how people draw well on there in general -- I get that with patience and practice anyone could draw an awesome picture-perfect Captain Falcon or Link or whatever you want even with these primitive tools, there're just certain things that seem unrealistic to have been done by hand. I mean, how can you rightly be pixel-perfect with the gradience stuff on this gamepad anyway? You have to control everything with, at finest, a stylus whose tip itself is bigger than a pixel when pressed up against the screen, so... I don't get it.

P.S. It's nothing like a real computer drawing tablet; there's no pressure sensitivity, no zoom function, no undo/redo, no save feature, only two tools whose only options are three sizes each, etc. Being even monumentally skilled with a real drawing tablet would probably not translate to too awful much on here; I imagine the 'amazing artists' on here have just been practicing with a 3DS or similar super-primitive drawing tools for a long time.

TL;DR: Okay, I get the line thing, but someone explain the gradient thing to me at least.
---
`w'
#12niels200683Posted 1/18/2013 12:39:30 AM
There's no tool, and it doesn't take hours - but minutes to do gray.

I still don't have the patience for it, but just search youtube for it - these guys do it all by hand. There is no tool. The Wii U is not hacked yet.
---
Nintendo Wii: Putting the 'p' in 'Epic'.
-Curse all these sock-eating gnomes!-
#13ChargrilledPosted 1/18/2013 12:47:46 AM
Stencils for circles, shapes and lines

Grey is time consuming but doable. I cant be bothered, but proper artists would rather sit there doing this stuff than playing ames.

Plenty of vids on youtube of people drawing stuff. No tin foil hat needed.
---
GT : DeadJericho / PSN/Wii-U : Focalpoint /
Correct terminology is 'Could NOT care less'. Learn English!
#14tuznecotePosted 1/18/2013 12:54:11 AM
Some of the drawings I have seen are sickeningly good and tear jerkingly amazing for someone like me who once upon a time thought themselves as an artist. Sadly my talents are dulled and looking at these people makes me jealous.

Some do really make me think if there are cheats because they are just so one on one and for no real prize or gain BUT I do have a friend who is talented and can sketch up a life drawing, fantasty landscapes, monsters etc.... without need of visuals in under 30minutes. He is a artistic genius and when you have got it, its nothing. These tablets are just a ......*takes off wrap around shades* ...........doodle.

*throws wrap around shades in bin*
#15SquareSidePosted 1/18/2013 12:55:28 AM
Toothpicks... lol I don't know...
---
PSN XBL n'' - SquareSide
True 3DS Ambassador. Not a scrub who came in late and saved a buck.
#16MewtwoExPosted 1/18/2013 1:51:21 AM
I may have the answer

but I cant prove it

I know you can use a Controller Pro on Miiverse

knowing this, maybe they are drawing those straight lines using the control stick from the pro controller,

However its just a thought from a non Controller Pro owner

i do know you can use it in Miiverse because I saw a video of someone posting like that, but it was a written message now a doodle.
---
http://dunzi.wippiespace.com/pics/trollin-hatin.jpg
#17ReedeemerPosted 1/18/2013 2:33:52 AM
For the straight lines, tap and hold with one finger, then with the stylus tap anywhere else.

I'm sure you've had this problem on any DS drawing game or game that had a cursor on the touchscreen; if you touch at two points it travels between both points tripping out.

Hang around in Miiverse and follow the best artists, most of these awesome peeps share their tips and secrets on their profile and posts, and comments because they're constantly asked. These peeps spend literally hours on most of those drawn posts. Their biggest fear is pressing the cancel button on accident xD
---
WiiU: rZetro
PSN: Zetro-X ::: 3DS: 1118-0389-0873
#18StarBladeEdgePosted 1/18/2013 3:21:36 AM
they ctearly hacked the wii u. it is not possible with handszzzzzzzz
---
Nintendo The Best Game Company Let's destroy the wiiu board trolls!
WiiU True Next Gen for the next 8-10 years !
#19AkaneJonesPosted 1/18/2013 5:59:19 AM
BreakmanDX posted...

P.S. It's nothing like a real computer drawing tablet; there's no pressure sensitivity, no zoom function, no undo/redo, no save feature, only two tools whose only options are three sizes each, etc. Being even monumentally skilled with a real drawing tablet would probably not translate to too awful much on here; I imagine the 'amazing artists' on here have just been practicing with a 3DS or similar super-primitive drawing tools for a long time.

TL;DR: Okay, I get the line thing, but someone explain the gradient thing to me at least.

There is a sort of undo, what you do is press the button for when your done. Then you re-tap the image. You will undo to the previous state if you back out. It's best you use that every once and awhile. It voids accidentally erasing the whole thing. It's also handy before you shade something, in case it turns out crap.

Although it needs a save function, I mean a real one. Perhaps when they get around to allowing access of the web browser. Though if updated with Zoom and Oekaki textures I'm sure it would save time.
#20Joakley815Posted 1/18/2013 7:54:13 AM
I've done a bit of gray, and it is VERY time consuming. However, I've begun to develop a reasonably modest improvement over tapping and hoping you hit the right pixel.

What I do for the perfect checkerboard pattern is draw a 45 degree diagonal line, focusing on making sure I get the upper left portion perfect and allowing for imperfections in the lower right portion. Then, just erase away the imperfections from the lower right and draw another diagonal line, making sure the upper left connects perfectly with the previous line. Erase any imperfections in the lower right area and repeat.

For the pixel perfect art, the only "tricks" I've found aren't really tricks at all: a keen eye, patience, and a steady hand.