Oculus Rift?

#21EternalWolfPosted 1/17/2013 3:26:12 AM
I'm going to get one of these, but it will be useless for consoles.

60FPS with Vsync and stereoscopic 3d pretty much makes id Software the only company with an engine and the experience capable of running this on consoles.

Most developers cant even get games running at a solid 30FPS on last gen hardware and they dont give a f*** because gamers dont realize what they are missing out on. 60FPS should be mandatory by now, even with the current hardware, with 120FPS being the target(which it will be once 120hz TVs become mainstream, which they will).

The worst part of all is instead of innovative gameplay and good music, we literally get devolved gameplay, no music and slighlty improved graphics. Now Nintendo and their exclusives generally dont have this problem, they are committed to making games instead of movies, but the 360 and PS3 libraries are complete trash(I have a 360, PS3, Wii, Wii-U, 2600K/580).

This thing will sell. It will make national press as well, its not just a gimmick. Genre wise it doesnt go to much farther beyond FPS, but it actual evolves the genre, something that has been hard to do or simply neglected on consoles. I mean Metroid Prime gave us something new, but everyone went towards copying Halo and giving us infinite health and trash everything aside from a main theme(literally worse than Classic DOOM in gameplay, music, graphics at the time of release, content etc...). Batman copies the Metroid formula and wins GoTY, in a different genre, Shadow Complex won Arcade GoTY or something like that. It is the formula to switch to and nobody is doing it, yet it always works. The rift gives us a real "camera", will eventually walk in a body suit with vibrations if you want etc...
---
As We Go...
http://i42.tinypic.com/2m82zjm.jpg
#22Icecreamdunwich(Topic Creator)Posted 1/17/2013 3:31:40 AM
Yep, Oculus Rift is the first affordable and GOOD VR set. Simply amazing, I read about some project a college group is on which combines 4 kinects and an oculus Rift in order to produce a 'holodeck'. That's insane!
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#23EternalWolfPosted 1/17/2013 4:00:39 AM
Also, you cant just port a 360/PS3 game to the next gen consoles and get a better framerate. Most of these game engines are far behind the hardware available(by PC standards). The optimization, simply put, sucks. Last gen(PS2 etc...) we had a ton of engines that were in a prime status, it was the end of the first 3d engines life cycle as a whole. Most engines ran smooth, everything was capable or close to being maxed on the best hardware.

Then DOOM 3 gave us the leap in 3d graphics(and still holds up today) and we havent really gotten past that yet. We are just entering the middle stages of this era, and its almost been 10 years. With some simple mods, DOOM 3 and id Tech 4 can compete with some of the best looking games out there. You would never be able to do that with QUAKE III Arena, any n64 game etc... no matter how high quality the textures are. Proof is the Call of Duty engine(which was modified from id Tech 3 to whatever it is now) and HD Texture packs for Ocarina of Time, RTCW etc... Graphics are limited to the engine(its features, its coding), not the hardware available. Once new features for the engines come in, we hit a new gen. We havent had those new features in a very long time, just rehashes or "high quality" versions of old stuff in layman's terms.

If you take a game that runs at 30FPS this gen, its not running at 60FPS next gen on the same engine without extreme modifications. It doesnt work like PC gaming, you got different architecture all around and different drivers. Even though the hardware is far more powerful, you still have to rewrite and add/remove a ton of code and features to get it running better. Your not taking an already well optimized engine and adding AA, high quality textures, better lighting etc... Your taking something that barely worked and trying to max it out on consoles for the first time. The consoles are going to feature commercial, high end hardware either, more like middle end at best. Thats just how it is and has been for a long time.

So in short, if it does go mainstream, its not going mainstream on consoles unless Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo is truly dedicated to it, to the point of making it a selling point of the game, which would have to be exclusive outside of like a select few developers. Literally like three(I can only think of one), are capable of maxing out their games on multiple platforms with high level 3d graphics. Nothing from EA, nothing from Activision, nothing that uses UE3, CryEngine 3(high level graphics at least) etc... Would have to be a proprietary engine or a very well optimized engine.

Of course, they could always make Wii quality graphics(compared to 360/PS3) with the new engines, but then they would have to up the animation level to be deemed acceptable. Animations for this gen have been a giant LOL for the most part, which is another sad thing about this gen. Take Madden for example, the one game franchise that should have flawless animations and yet it has some of the worst of any 3d game from last gen. NBA 2K destroys it as if they didnt even try, but Madden still looks like a PS2 era game outside of some simple effects, textures and resolution upgrades.
---
As We Go...
http://i42.tinypic.com/2m82zjm.jpg