The Wii U Stumbles in Japan (But Don't Count Nintendo Out)

#1Nice_Kirbyfan9Posted 1/17/2013 7:54:17 AM
http://kotaku.com/5976674/the-wii-u-stumbles-in-japan-but-dont-count-nintendo-out

If Japan is anything to go by, the Wii U hasn't proven to be the smash hit Nintendo hoped it would be. Granted, hardware launches are tough. The 3DS had a difficult time getting off the ground. Now, it's doing gangbusters. In Japan, the Wii U, however, is having a hard time lately.

To put things into perspective, let's compare how the Wii U stacks up to the Wii's first six weeks on sale in Japan (data courtesy of 4Gamer and Media Create):

First Week
• Wii: 371,936 units sold
• Wii U: 308,570

Second Week
• Wii: 109,068
• Wii U: 130,653

Third Week
• Wii: 101,956
• Wii U: 122,356

Fourth Week
• Wii: 284,648
• Wii U: 76,760

Fifth Week
• Wii: 121,510
• Wii U: 70,662

Sixth Week
• Wii: 146,553 
• Wii U: 20,715

Online in Japan, people are pointing out that there's reason for being concerned—namely that the Wii U is now posting GameCube's sales numbers.

Nintendo will say that the Wii launched during the height of Nintendo DS mania. That's correct. It did. However, the Wii U started out strong, but it's been running out of gas. There are not enough games to lure people who might be sitting on the fence about the Wii U. If Nintendo did not make games, I'd say this is cause for concern. There isn't. Yet.

Nintendo is not doomed, but if things don't turn around for the wii u in the next few months third party support on the console could be dooooomed.
---
If you disagree with the views expressed in this post, feel free to put me on ignore.
http://i46.tinypic.com/b83ehv.gif
#2IcecreamdunwichPosted 1/17/2013 7:58:38 AM
Yeah, the sales are not good.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#3Luthor_Posted 1/17/2013 8:01:58 AM
I can't wait to see this spun so hard.

Inb4 Squatch22
---
I was SWAGGING WHEN I WAS 420ING then I YOLOD.
-DarkJayDragon
#4IcecreamdunwichPosted 1/17/2013 8:04:42 AM
Luthor_ posted...
I can't wait to see this spun so hard.

Inb4 Squatch22

Oh don't worry, he can't resist the urge to defend Nintedo even though they are actually doing worst in his country. It's selling less than the Vita which they label a failure, lol.
---
#5Baha05Posted 1/17/2013 8:05:47 AM
Consoles do tend to drop in sales numbers you know, but they can also pick up. I mean hey if the Vita can get away with low sales then the Wii U should be fine
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich
#6gamewhooper181Posted 1/17/2013 8:06:43 AM
The Wii U's sales, while not great, have far surpassed 360, PS3, and Vita's sales when launch-aligned.

Nintendo is truly it's own worst enemy. Standards are simply set too high for the company, considering the massive success both the DS and Wii had.
---
PS3/PSN: gamewhooper
NNID/Miiverse: gamewhooper
#7IcecreamdunwichPosted 1/17/2013 8:07:15 AM
Baha05 posted...
Consoles do tend to drop in sales numbers you know, but they can also pick up. I mean hey if the Vita can get away with low sales then the Wii U should be fine

Hey at least you are admitting the sales are low now. And I think if people were willing to call the Vita a failure this early in its life why can't the Wii U be called the same? Not that I'm calling it a failure mind you, but some are.
---
#8gamewhooper181Posted 1/17/2013 8:12:32 AM(edited)
Icecreamdunwich posted...
Baha05 posted...

Hey at least you are admitting the sales are low now. And I think if people were willing to call the Vita a failure this early in its life why can't the Wii U be called the same? Not that I'm calling it a failure mind you, but some are.

The Vita has been out since December 2011. In its first December in the U.S., the system only sold 250,000. 13 months later and Sony hasn't done a thing to turn it around. Wii U also sold in less than two months what Vita sold in eight.

The Wii U and Vita aren't comparable at all. The Wii U has been disappointing sales-wise (only outselling previous Microsoft/Sony console launches but not Nintendo's own), but hasn't been a complete abomination like the Vita has, where both hardware and software sales are performing worse than Dreamcast levels.

---
PS3/PSN: gamewhooper
NNID/Miiverse: gamewhooper
#9Baha05Posted 1/17/2013 8:11:32 AM
Icecreamdunwich posted...

Thats because now we are getting the numbers in perspective but again it is part if cosole life. Also the Vita for a long time was deemed a failure becuase it had some of the worst sales numbers for well any console. Of course for the Wii U we might see numbers jump in ohhh March
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich
#10EnVy_CaLiBeRPosted 1/17/2013 8:13:00 AM
gamewhooper181 posted...
The Wii U's sales, while not great, have far surpassed 360, PS3, and Vita's sales when launch-aligned.

Nintendo is truly it's own worst enemy. Standards are simply set too high for the company, considering the massive success both the DS and Wii had.

Yep. Sales are only slow when in comparison to the Wii. I don't think anyone ever thought it would sell consistently like the Wii did.
---
(NNID/PSN): EnVy_CaLiBeR (360 GT): EnVyXCaLIBeR
Now playing: Dishonored, AC3, Gears of War 3, H4, Black Ops II, Dark Souls