When do you consider a console to be a failure?

#21Sharky8(Topic Creator)Posted 1/17/2013 10:46:25 AM
shaunme posted...
Sharky8 posted...
shaunme posted...
Sharky8 posted...
shaunme posted...
when it can't run a 2d mario in 1080p.

What is 1080p and why should I give a ****? Mario games are FUN, and that is all that matters to me and the millions who made the Wii, SNES, NES--with their 2D Marios--the best selling systems of their generations.

bathe in your ignorance.

You know what types of people care about 1080p? Fat guys with acne and no girlfriends.

good to know .

And all that other meaningless jargon in your signature. Who cares?
#22TerotrousPosted 1/17/2013 10:53:23 AM
From the standpoint of the console manufacturers, there are two things they care about:

- Profit
- Market Share

So a system that makes a profit and gains market share (like the Wii for example), is an undeniable success. A system that does one but not the other is a mixed bag (like Xbox 360, which gained market share but lost money), and a system that does not do either (like PS3, which both lost unprecedented amounts of money and market share) is a failure.

People will be quick to point out that this differs from the definition of success that would be expressed from a gamer's point of view. For a gamer, what they want is "a system that is worth owning", in other words, a system with a reasonable number of good games you can't get anywhere else. Though there is some overlap, as a system that sells very poorly will have trouble getting good exclusives.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Die Hard"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#23Sharky8(Topic Creator)Posted 1/17/2013 12:25:17 PM
Profit and market share constitute a success, but does profiting while also losing market share (such as the Gamecube) constitute a failure? I don't think so.

It think the Wii U will be very profitable for Nintendo, but I also think Sony or Microsoft is likely to finish 1st and gain some of Nintendo's market share from the last generation. It would be very unlikely that Nintendo will dominate this generation like it did the last generation. It won't sell 100-million units this generation like it did last time when it crushed the PS3 and Xbox360.

Terotrous posted...
From the standpoint of the console manufacturers, there are two things they care about:

- Profit
- Market Share

So a system that makes a profit and gains market share (like the Wii for example), is an undeniable success. A system that does one but not the other is a mixed bag (like Xbox 360, which gained market share but lost money), and a system that does not do either (like PS3, which both lost unprecedented amounts of money and market share) is a failure.

People will be quick to point out that this differs from the definition of success that would be expressed from a gamer's point of view. For a gamer, what they want is "a system that is worth owning", in other words, a system with a reasonable number of good games you can't get anywhere else. Though there is some overlap, as a system that sells very poorly will have trouble getting good exclusives.
#24shaunmePosted 1/17/2013 12:26:53 PM
Sharky8 posted...
Profit and market share constitute a success, but does profiting while also losing market share (such as the Gamecube) constitute a failure? I don't think so.

It think the Wii U will be very profitable for Nintendo, but I also think Sony or Microsoft is likely to finish 1st and gain some of Nintendo's market share from the last generation. It would be very unlikely that Nintendo will dominate this generation like it did the last generation. It won't sell 100-million units this generation like it did last time when it crushed the PS3 and Xbox360.

Terotrous posted...

- Profit
- Market Share

arsed.
---
i72600k @4.6 // ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution // 8gb ram // 3x MSI GTX 680 sli // 1tb HD//W8pro//NNID shaunme1//PSN poselecta//XBL CursiveA//STEAM shaunmelwell//
#25TerotrousPosted 1/17/2013 2:04:51 PM
Sharky8 posted...

Like I stated, it's mixed. Making a profit is good, but losing market share puts you at a disadvantage for future profitability. It's neither a success or a failure, it's kind of ambiguous.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Die Hard"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#26b1gt0nePosted 1/17/2013 2:10:09 PM
shaunme posted...
when it can't run a 2d mario in 1080p.

Who told you that lie??
#27Rennik RepotsirPosted 1/17/2013 2:20:29 PM
When it's discontinued before the intended lifespan...
---
FREE BUMP!!!
The person above suffers from IAD.</post>
#28Dark_AbaddonPosted 1/17/2013 2:29:23 PM
GloryChaos posted...
I don't tremendously care about sales figures but I would say that the WiiU would be a failure to Nintendo if they don't manage to break even during its lifespan.

To me, it's not a failure as long as it has 10 games that I want to play and enjoy.

this
---
Me: my posts, now with 100% more signature
Hades: I liked it better when your posts had 100% less signature...
#29RyanSBHFPosted 1/17/2013 5:44:30 PM
If it was manufactured by Sega.
#30R_O_B_SentryPosted 1/17/2013 5:45:40 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]