I wonder when Nintendo will patch in a universal achievement/trophy system.

#11NerdstickPosted 1/17/2013 9:35:11 PM(edited)
Hopefully at all. There's no argument one can make against achievements so long as they can be disabled. I personally find achievements a fun way to get more out of a game and a scratch for a completionist itch, and their lacking is what's killed any and all interest in me buying any multiplatform titles on the WiiU opposed to their 360/PS3 versions which would contain them. Considering that a large amount of the titles available for the system so far are ports, they're really shooting themselves in the foot.

There are a lot of jokes/complaints one can make about the nature of achievements today (in regards to their checkpoint nature) but there's justifications for it, such as a little push to keep playing. But regardless, flaws in the currently existing achievement system isn't a justification to remove it altogether, but an opportunity for Nintendo to -improve- the system and make it their own.

They clearly aren't against the concept of achievements considering that their own Nintendo Land has Stamps in the same vein. They just need to make it system-wide.

Maybe when they do a complete overhaul on their account system which also binds purchases to your accounts? :/
#12Chaos_KreaturePosted 1/17/2013 9:36:44 PM
Let's hope never.
---
MHT: Zyzax MH3U: Hopefully the same, if not for some reason, TriforceKnight(also my NN id)
#13geneticsftwPosted 1/17/2013 9:38:09 PM
Jin66 posted...
geneticsftw posted...
I stopped playing the pii u until they do this, games just aren't fun without someone telling me how to play the game.

Same here. Any console that does not provide me with an arbitory reward for passing the tutorial or jumping 100 times is not worth my time.

Or entering a new city, buying something, walking NE and talking to three people.
---
Sweet
#147D_ShadoPosted 1/17/2013 9:39:13 PM
I believe they are going to release the patch on January 32nd.
#15BuretsuPosted 1/17/2013 9:42:13 PM
geneticsftw posted...
Jin66 posted...
geneticsftw posted...
I stopped playing the pii u until they do this, games just aren't fun without someone telling me how to play the game.

Same here. Any console that does not provide me with an arbitory reward for passing the tutorial or jumping 100 times is not worth my time.

Or entering a new city, buying something, walking NE and talking to three people.

Or replaying the same 10 minute section of the game over and over again until you do it perfectly.
---
no i tried resetting game i even start violent slamming cartridge on wall but all it does make static noise when i put into DS, the problem not fix! -ReconUnit
#16geneticsftwPosted 1/17/2013 10:06:25 PM
Buretsu posted...
geneticsftw posted...
Jin66 posted...
geneticsftw posted...

Or replaying the same 10 minute section of the game over and over again until you do it perfectly.

Exactly, that is what makes games fun and the best reason to play them.
---
Sweet
#17Tsutarja495Posted 1/17/2013 10:16:30 PM
Nerdstick posted...
There's no argument one can make against achievements so long as they can be disabled.

I agree, but on the other systems that do use system wide achievements, is there an option to disable them?
#18diggyfreshPosted 1/17/2013 10:18:28 PM
I've never been in to achievements. I unlocked them on PS3, but it never motivated me.
---
Currently playing: ZombiU, RE: Revelation, & Xenoblade
#19Thunderbird8Posted 1/17/2013 10:20:39 PM
PS3 didn't ship with trophy support, that was added in July of 2008. I have a few older games for it that don't have trophies. Frankly, I'm not bothered by no achievement/trophy system on the Wii U. Some of the games I have on the PS3 make it clear that the trophies were only there because they had to be (one example that comes to mind is Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time where most of the trophies are earned simply by reaching certain points in the game). Heck, I've got two games that simply included a trophy for buying them and playing =P.

I have a feeling that anything achievement related is a low priority, if it's even being considered at all.
#20P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 1/17/2013 10:22:46 PM
Chaos_Kreature posted...
Let's hope never.

This. It's great that Nintendo doesn't force them on devs. They let them add them if they choose and that's good.
---
Hello... you lost me at "hello"...
Currently Playing: Zelda2, Manhunt2, One Piece