I wonder when Nintendo will patch in a universal achievement/trophy system.

#31justdontaskPosted 1/18/2013 12:38:51 AM
7D_Shado posted...
I believe they are going to release the patch on January 32nd.

so soon? the date i heard was February 29th...
---
the only part of gamefaqs i like are the walkthroughs for games i like.
trolls avoid large blocks of text they can't criticize for all to see.
#32LordcrabfoodPosted 1/18/2013 12:43:45 AM
I do not really understand why people are against them, if you do not like the idea of achievements then simply ignore them.
#33nedrithPosted 1/18/2013 1:13:49 AM
blinkfreak posted...
Jin66 posted...
Same here. Any console that does not provide me with an arbitory reward for passing the tutorial or jumping 100 times is not worth my time.

I think those types of achievements are stupid. What I did like was playing the Sly collection or the Jak & Daxter collection. The trophies in these games weren't stupid. You got trophies for advancing in the game such as beating a boss, unlocking a special move, collecting all the items in an area. I really like that idea as it shows that you played the game. I do NOT like the trophies that have to do random things that no one would think to do and are pointless, such as jump 100 times

P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N posted...
Chaos_Kreature posted...
Let's hope never.

This. It's great that Nintendo doesn't force them on devs. They let them add them if they choose and that's good.

I don't understand why everyone thinks that a universal achievement system means they are mandatory. They can be system wide but a developer doesn't have to implement them if they do not want to. Just because the other systems force developers to do it doesn't mean Nintendo has to make a carbon copy.

It's not forced, but read the topics on the PS3 and 360 boards. I bet you will find quite a few posts of users refusing to buy games that don't have trophies/achievements.

Putting them in = more sales how many developers are going to throw away sales when they can just throw in a number of useless trophies. Hence why you get games that have trophies like jump 100 times.

In the end a large number of games(I would say more than half) do not give trophies/achievements for things that they should. For example SO4 has one of the most terrible trophy systems I've ever seen. Literally 400-600 hours doing useless tasks like kill 30k enemies with a single character(talking about 60-80 hours fighting enemies). But then they fail to give trophies for the really hard stuff. You have a trophy for defeating the final optional boss but not in his second or third(hardest form). Nor do you have a trophy for defeating him on the hardest difficulty level.
#34toad133Posted 1/18/2013 1:29:40 AM
nedrith posted...
blinkfreak posted...
Jin66 posted...
Same here. Any console that does not provide me with an arbitory reward for passing the tutorial or jumping 100 times is not worth my time.

I think those types of achievements are stupid. What I did like was playing the Sly collection or the Jak & Daxter collection. The trophies in these games weren't stupid. You got trophies for advancing in the game such as beating a boss, unlocking a special move, collecting all the items in an area. I really like that idea as it shows that you played the game. I do NOT like the trophies that have to do random things that no one would think to do and are pointless, such as jump 100 times

P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N posted...
Chaos_Kreature posted...
Let's hope never.

This. It's great that Nintendo doesn't force them on devs. They let them add them if they choose and that's good.

I don't understand why everyone thinks that a universal achievement system means they are mandatory. They can be system wide but a developer doesn't have to implement them if they do not want to. Just because the other systems force developers to do it doesn't mean Nintendo has to make a carbon copy.

It's not forced, but read the topics on the PS3 and 360 boards. I bet you will find quite a few posts of users refusing to buy games that don't have trophies/achievements.

Putting them in = more sales how many developers are going to throw away sales when they can just throw in a number of useless trophies. Hence why you get games that have trophies like jump 100 times.

Then that's very, very sad. People who won't buy a game because it lacks trophies are foolish and miss out on great games because of them, especially since trophies are so trivial.

The only game I really liked trophies with was Kid Icarus Uprising. I actually felt rewarded for doing those. Heck, judging by that and Brawl, Sakurai is the only developer who does trophies correctly.
---
Not changing this sig till Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon is announced for VC.
Started: 16th of August 2008 13:27pm.
#35NerdstickPosted 1/18/2013 1:35:26 AM
I'm already not buying games because they don't have achievements. Every multi-platform title on the WiiU, to be specific.

As mentioned, there's no downside to achievements if you can disable them. What, do people feel like they have no self control and not being given the option is somehow a relief?

And please stop referencing the 'optional' achievements on WiiU. The WiiU doesn't have achievements. The WiiU has 'optional achievements' the same way the PSP has trophies if the dev adds fake trophies that mean nothing outside of each individual game: it doesn't.
#36StarBladeEdgePosted 1/18/2013 1:37:07 AM
who here has the longest............... ........ .............achievement/trophy ?
---
Nintendo The Best Game Company Let's destroy the wiiu board trolls!
WiiU True Next Gen for the next 8-10 years !
#37nedrithPosted 1/18/2013 1:38:11 AM
Nerdstick posted...
I'm already not buying games because they don't have achievements. Every multi-platform title on the WiiU, to be specific.

As mentioned, there's no downside to achievements if you can disable them. What, do people feel like they have no self control and not being given the option is somehow a relief?

And please stop referencing the 'optional' achievements on WiiU. The WiiU doesn't have achievements. The WiiU has 'optional achievements' the same way the PSP has trophies if the dev adds fake trophies that mean nothing outside of each individual game: it doesn't.

Yes, because you can't show them off to your friends online they mean nothing. They mean just as much as that trophy you got on your latest game.
#38darkus_fPosted 1/18/2013 1:45:24 AM
Lordcrabfood posted...
I do not really understand why people are against them, if you do not like the idea of achievements then simply ignore them.

"If it's not on a nintendo system then it sucks" logic.
The notifications can be turned off so you can play your games without even thinking about their existence.
I really hope that an update adds them.
---
3DS FC: 0447-5073-6549 White2 FC: 0047-1293-2356
Ki:U: Darkus
#39NerdstickPosted 1/18/2013 1:47:35 AM(edited)
nedrith posted...
Nerdstick posted...

Yes, because you can't show them off to your friends online they mean nothing. They mean just as much as that trophy you got on your latest game.

Because the only point of achievements are to show them off? Making a collection of them, having them all count towards something is what makes them fun to collect. On 360 you get a page with icons for every game you've 100%'d.

Kongregate is my favorite Achievement system of all. It has a nice set of 2-4 achievements for each game that has them, which vary in difficulty. This means you don't have fodder achievements like everyone complains about, and the point value is always fairly accurate to the amount of effort/difficulty required (whereas you can 'farm' achievements on 360 by playing kids games, not nearly as balanced). Each one is worth a set number of points, which act as exp for leveling your profile. There are also badges you earn for getting a list of various achievements. All very fun. If the achievements were built into the games themselves without any standard and meant nothing outside of those games? Pointless.
#40BuretsuPosted 1/18/2013 1:47:25 AM
darkus_f posted...
Lordcrabfood posted...

"If it's not on a nintendo system then it sucks" logic.
The notifications can be turned off so you can play your games without even thinking about their existence.
I really hope that an update adds them.

More like "Hey, let's force the developers to spend more money and time adding in a useless achievement system to all of their games!" logic.
---
no i tried resetting game i even start violent slamming cartridge on wall but all it does make static noise when i put into DS, the problem not fix! -ReconUnit