I wonder when Nintendo will patch in a universal achievement/trophy system.

#41NerdstickPosted 1/18/2013 1:50:09 AM
Buretsu posted...
darkus_f posted...
Lordcrabfood posted...
I do not really understand why people are against them, if you do not like the idea of achievements then simply ignore them.

"If it's not on a nintendo system then it sucks" logic.
The notifications can be turned off so you can play your games without even thinking about their existence.
I really hope that an update adds them.

More like "Hey, let's force the developers to spend more money and time adding in a useless achievement system to all of their games!" logic.

Probably the most ridiculous excuse of all of them.

1) You think achievements cost any significant amount of time/money...why?
2) Every multiplatform game (which is a -large- part of the WiiU's library) already have achievements made for it. By your logic that it costs time/money to make them, this means they go to -waste- on the WiiU by not being supported.
3) As mentioned multiple times, adding a universal achievement system isn't the same as adding a mandatory achievement system.
#42TalentedMPosted 1/18/2013 1:51:21 AM
Why would achievements get blasted by people. It makes no sense, they are just something else to do with the game... I see nothing wrong with that.
---
Since this game rely on micro transaction when people leave for mop this game will be I survive. - MageGuyInfinity
#43BuretsuPosted 1/18/2013 2:00:12 AM
Nerdstick posted...
Buretsu posted...
darkus_f posted...
Lordcrabfood posted...
I do not really understand why people are against them, if you do not like the idea of achievements then simply ignore them.

"If it's not on a nintendo system then it sucks" logic.
The notifications can be turned off so you can play your games without even thinking about their existence.
I really hope that an update adds them.

More like "Hey, let's force the developers to spend more money and time adding in a useless achievement system to all of their games!" logic.

Probably the most ridiculous excuse of all of them.

1) You think achievements cost any significant amount of time/money...why?
2) Every multiplatform game (which is a -large- part of the WiiU's library) already have achievements made for it. By your logic that it costs time/money to make them, this means they go to -waste- on the WiiU by not being supported.
3) As mentioned multiple times, adding a universal achievement system isn't the same as adding a mandatory achievement system.

1) They have to program the system to detect and interact with them, they have to come up with a list of activities that would generate them, and figure out the names for them
2) You're giving a reason why there shouldn't be achievements at all...
3) Yes, but as people in this very thread have said, they won't buy a game if they can't wave their e-peen in the faces of all their friends
---
no i tried resetting game i even start violent slamming cartridge on wall but all it does make static noise when i put into DS, the problem not fix! -ReconUnit
#44RikeruPosted 1/18/2013 2:03:25 AM
TalentedM posted...
Why would achievements get blasted by people. It makes no sense, they are just something else to do with the game... I see nothing wrong with that.

Because they all secretly jealous they can't get some of them that others have? I have no idea either. They're pretty easy to ignore not like they part of the game, they're a bonus that give some people extra things to do in their favorite game when they have run out of things to do but yet still want to do more but the way some people talk it's like they're forced to do them because they are there. You're not.
#45nedrithPosted 1/18/2013 2:08:17 AM
Nerdstick posted...
nedrith posted...
Nerdstick posted...
I'm already not buying games because they don't have achievements. Every multi-platform title on the WiiU, to be specific.

As mentioned, there's no downside to achievements if you can disable them. What, do people feel like they have no self control and not being given the option is somehow a relief?

And please stop referencing the 'optional' achievements on WiiU. The WiiU doesn't have achievements. The WiiU has 'optional achievements' the same way the PSP has trophies if the dev adds fake trophies that mean nothing outside of each individual game: it doesn't.

Yes, because you can't show them off to your friends online they mean nothing. They mean just as much as that trophy you got on your latest game.

Because the only point of achievements are to show them off? Making a collection of them, having them all count towards something is what makes them fun to collect. On 360 you get a page with icons for every game you've 100%'d.

Kongregate is my favorite Achievement system of all. It has a nice set of 2-4 achievements for each game that has them, which vary in difficulty. This means you don't have fodder achievements like everyone complains about, and the point value is always fairly accurate to the amount of effort/difficulty required (whereas you can 'farm' achievements on 360 by playing kids games, not nearly as balanced). Each one is worth a set number of points, which act as exp for leveling your profile. There are also badges you earn for getting a list of various achievements. All very fun. If the achievements were built into the games themselves without any standard and meant nothing outside of those games? Pointless.

Kongregate doesn't sound that bad, the PS3 and 360 version absolutely sucks though. Game companies won't balance their trophies with other games and neither system gives them a reason to.

However I still continue to disagree with the fact that a universal trophy system would be any better than a game specific trophy system. Perhaps if nintendo/sony/microsoft decided to reward us for doing so well in the games it might mean something. But besides being able to show off that I'm a level 13 on PSN it means literally nothing. and the trophy system is so badly balanced that level 13 means nothing still.
#46mjc0961Posted 1/18/2013 2:50:10 AM
Buretsu posted...
geneticsftw posted...
Jin66 posted...
geneticsftw posted...
I stopped playing the pii u until they do this, games just aren't fun without someone telling me how to play the game.

Same here. Any console that does not provide me with an arbitory reward for passing the tutorial or jumping 100 times is not worth my time.

Or entering a new city, buying something, walking NE and talking to three people.

Or replaying the same 10 minute section of the game over and over again until you do it perfectly.

Or pressing start on the title screen.

Or getting hundreds of people to download or play your user created content in a game that is designed to give new content as little exposure as possible while only highlighting a few popular creators.

Or some really crap multiplayer thing that completely changes the way other people in the match play because they're trying to get the achievement rather than just play.

Yeah, some developers are f***ing stupid.

blinkfreak posted...
I don't understand why everyone thinks that a universal achievement system means they are mandatory. They can be system wide but a developer doesn't have to implement them if they do not want to. Just because the other systems force developers to do it doesn't mean Nintendo has to make a carbon copy.

Because they have common sense. PS3 already tried the "we won't make it mandatory" thing. It didn't work. What makes you think it would magically work now when it didn't work a few years ago? All making it optional will do is cause people to whine at any developer and refuse to buy their game until it gets achievements and constantly whine at Nintendo to make it mandatory until finally it is mandatory just to shut them all up.

Learn your gaming history before you ask nonsense questions like that.
---
"Jak and Daxter does not have a sequel so that doesn't prove anything." - DesperateMonkey
#47mjc0961Posted 1/18/2013 2:53:42 AM
Nerdstick posted...

As mentioned by thick people who clearly have no idea what they're talking about.
---
"Jak and Daxter does not have a sequel so that doesn't prove anything." - DesperateMonkey
#48DeathSoul2000Posted 1/18/2013 3:11:08 AM
mjc0961 posted...
Because they have common sense. PS3 already tried the "we won't make it mandatory" thing. It didn't work. What makes you think it would magically work now when it didn't work a few years ago? All making it optional will do is cause people to whine at any developer and refuse to buy their game until it gets achievements and constantly whine at Nintendo to make it mandatory until finally it is mandatory just to shut them all up.

Learn your gaming history before you ask nonsense questions like that.

no they didn't, because they never said it wasn't mandatory.
#49NerdstickPosted 1/18/2013 3:21:05 AM
mjc0961 posted...
Nerdstick posted...

As mentioned by thick people who clearly have no idea what they're talking about.

Yes, calling people you disagree with 'thick' proves your point. Just like saying anybody with differing opinions is a troll.

If everybody would whine for achievements to be added to each individual game and refuse to buy it otherwise, that would indicate..that people want it added? So you're saying they shouldn't add it because people will want it?

Anybody that would skip buying a game just because it doesn't have achievements in an optional universal system would already be skipping it because it doesn't have them without such a system.
#50DEKMStephensPosted 1/18/2013 4:09:15 AM
I don't like trophies, because they ruin gameplay. They often unlock at story check points, and then i'll have this big square hovering around ruining all sense of mood and atmosphere. Every single time.

Yes, I hear they can be blocked on Xbox 360, but I didn't have that console, I had a PS3 and they were a massive eyesore, often with too low requirements to have achieved anything (knock down 23 palm trees? really?)
---
The official nothing of nothing at the moment.
Return Moe! D:<