God the Gamepad battery life is horrid

#1EnVy_CaLiBeRPosted 1/17/2013 9:50:29 PM
Is the battery pack from Nyko any good? Why Nintendo put out a controller with this bad of battery life is beyond me but it's close to the point where you have to be confined to being near the wall outlet just to keep this thing charged. Really frustrating.
---
(NNID/PSN): EnVy_CaLiBeR (360 GT): EnVyXCaLIBeR
Now playing: Dishonored, AC3, Gears of War 3, H4, Black Ops II, Dark Souls
#2CaptainMoosePosted 1/17/2013 9:52:57 PM
Don't bother me. If it was a handheld, that would be a different thing.
#3diggyfreshPosted 1/17/2013 9:53:34 PM
EnVy_CaLiBeR posted...
Is the battery pack from Nyko any good? Why Nintendo put out a controller with this bad of battery life is beyond me but it's close to the point where you have to be confined to being near the wall outlet just to keep this thing charged. Really frustrating.

It does stink. Especially if you're using the controller as a TV controller and for TVii, and for Miiverse, etc. I just bought the charging stand hoping that if I always rest it on that it will help keep it charged. *fingers crossed*
---
Currently playing: ZombiU, RE: Revelation, & Xenoblade
#4Dark_Link604Posted 1/17/2013 9:53:46 PM
Supposedly the Nyko battery lasts 3-4 times longer. Not going to change it yet until the battery dies though.
#5Shadowbird_RHPosted 1/17/2013 9:56:52 PM(edited)
I've heard good things about the Nyko battery, so if plugging the gamepad in during gameplay sessions exceeding 3+ hours isn't ideal for you, it would likely be a good buy.

Dark_Link604 posted...
Supposedly the Nyko battery lasts 3-4 times longer. Not going to change it yet until the battery dies though.

It doesn't replace the existing battery, works along side it. Here's the page for it.

http://www.nyko.com/products/product-detail/?name=UBoost+%28Black%29
---
Surrender and I will destroy you peacefully.
R.E.G.I.S. mk5 - Megas XLR
#6spicyitalian739Posted 1/17/2013 9:57:01 PM
It's definitely not great, but it hasn't bothered me yet to just plug it in every 3-4 hours, get something to eat or something, and then come back.

Having said that, I've been eagerly awaiting for the NYKO battery which should be a great battery like most of their stuff is these days. I don't think it's out yet (or at least not in my area). You can check the Nyko website and put in your location to see if any retailers around you have it.
---
PSN and Nintendo Network: FlyingWasabi
Xbox Live: Flying Wasabi
#7spicyitalian739Posted 1/17/2013 10:04:50 PM(edited)
Shadowbird_RH posted...
I've heard good things about the Nyko battery, so if plugging the gamepad in during gameplay sessions exceeding 3+ hours isn't ideal for you, it would likely be a good buy.

Dark_Link604 posted...

It doesn't replace the existing battery, works along side it. Here's the page for it.

http://www.nyko.com/products/product-detail/?name=UBoost+%28Black%29

You're confusing the one battery that doubles battery life (I think it was double) and has a stand with an actual bigger internal battery that triples the battery life. That battery is called the Wii U PowerPak.

Edit: Nyko's website now states that the PowerPak that triples battery life comes out in February, so just a little bit longer to wait TC. It will be $24.99, and my experience with Nyko is that it will be a worthwhile investment if the short battery life of the GamePad irks you.
---
PSN and Nintendo Network: FlyingWasabi
Xbox Live: Flying Wasabi
#8EnVy_CaLiBeR(Topic Creator)Posted 1/17/2013 9:59:57 PM
CaptainMoose posted...
Don't bother me. If it was a handheld, that would be a different thing.

If it doesn't bother you that's fine but I'd prefer a controller that I'm supposed to be able to play wirelessly not be hooked up to an outlet after only a 2-3 hours of play.

And thanks for the input on my question, btw.
---
(NNID/PSN): EnVy_CaLiBeR (360 GT): EnVyXCaLIBeR
Now playing: Dishonored, AC3, Gears of War 3, H4, Black Ops II, Dark Souls
#9ChargrilledPosted 1/17/2013 10:03:30 PM
I think its crap aswell.
---
GT : DeadJericho / PSN/Wii-U : Focalpoint /
Correct terminology is 'Could NOT care less'. Learn English!
#10dbhomiePosted 1/17/2013 10:06:00 PM
Just let it die and play on the screen, the gamepad is nothing more than a PS Vita gimmic gone wrong.. 3hrs is pointless when you could do more on the screen playing the next gen game instead.
---
My PBR friend code is: 2105-7453-9147