Orbis specs from Eurogamer's Digital Foundry

#61thundercat2600Posted 1/18/2013 3:18:11 PM
darkjedilink posted...
Starks posted...
Do you know the difference between series of Radeons? The diffrence wont even be noticeable to the vast majority of people.

Except for the fact that the Wii U uses a low-end 6000 series and has a weak CPU.

Actually, teardowns point to a 5870. Now, the 6670 that'll be in the PS4/720 is a low-end card...

BULL. CRAP.

Radeon 5870:
330mm^2 die size
850 MHz
188 watt TDP

Wii U's GPU:
156mm^2
550 MHz
35 watt TDP (and that's for the entire system, not just the GPU)

They're not even in the same ballpark. You have once again proven how clueless you are about technology.

Sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_5870
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6465/nintendo-wii-u-teardown
---
they have the PC version of Darksiders 2 running on WiiU in 1080 native at 60 fps and full graphics options on. Neither 360 or PS3 can come close
-darkjedilink
#62darkjedilinkPosted 1/18/2013 3:19:40 PM
Not_King_Boo posted...
Waruigi posted...
These specs don't make a lot of business sense to me. An 8-core CPU doesn't sound cost-effective at a time when developers still have fully taken advantage of quad cores. Even if they tinker, the benefits of more cores and threads have diminishing returns.

And the memory spec for the Durango just sounds ridiculous. If history is any indicator then the newer consoles will have as much memory as they need to properly take advantage of the other specs. 8 gigs cost money.

I fully expect the Durango and Orbis to be more powerful than the Wii U, but they probably won't be the huge leap from their predecessors that everyone seems to want. The Xbox 360 and PS3 both had disastrous launches with huge financial losses and the expense of manufacturing the consoles played a role in both cases.

Actually, the memory specs sound fairly reasonable for the Durango. 8 Gigs really doesn't cost much more than 4 ($50 vs. $30, and that's assuming you skip on the cheaper sticks). As for the Orbis...well...that's a bit less realistic. I mean, 4 GB DDR3 is perfectly believable. but GDDR5?

While 8 gigs isn't much more expensive than four, it's unlikely it'll ever use the four, much less eight.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#63Not_King_BooPosted 1/18/2013 3:20:06 PM
Eoin posted...
Not_King_Boo posted...
Actually, although I don't want to defend darkjedilink, he is kind-of right

No. He's wrong and he's lying.

Not_King_Boo posted...
although they never said it wouldn't outperform the Xbox 360

That's exactly what he is lying and claiming they said. Actually, he's gone further with his lies, claiming that they said it couldn't even play Xbox 360 games. There's nothing remotely like that in what you've quoted (and he knew that as well).

I'm beginning to think you don't understand what kind-of means. And DF did say that it was doubtful that it was more powerful than the 7th Generation systems.
#64EoinPosted 1/18/2013 3:27:02 PM
Not_King_Boo posted...
I'm beginning to think you don't understand what kind-of means.

The thing he claimed was not right, "kind of" or otherwise. It was flatly 100% incorrect.

Not_King_Boo posted...
And DF did say that it was doubtful that it was more powerful than the 7th Generation systems.

They said it was within the same ballpark. That allows for it to be more powerful, just not significantly. Even if they had said it was only as powerful as the Xbox 360, that is still not close to darkjedilink's lie. He claimed that they said that because of it's size, there was "no way" for the Wii U to play Xbox 360-level games.

It's as simple as this: they didn't say that. At all. Ever.
#65IcecreamdunwichPosted 1/18/2013 3:29:31 PM
Darkjedilink is a compulsive liar, it is known.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#66Stefan1277Posted 1/18/2013 3:36:03 PM
Good Wii U "leaked specs"= Fake, absolutely Fake.

Good Xbox/PS "leaked specs" = True, absolutely legit.
---
I'm a ninja. (You can't see me)
http://colorslive.com/author.php?page=1&id=38434
#67GoombaXPosted 1/18/2013 3:46:34 PM
darkjedilink posted...
More crap from the same people who said there was no way the Wii U could even play 360 games solely based on its size.

They won't have AMD 8-core CPU's, because games don't run well on AMD 8-cores, unless you shut half of them off. They won't have 7970 GPU's, because they'll run far too hot for a console.

Lol, those chuckleheads should get a good look at the piston. Its what the steam box is gonna be based on and it fits in the palm of your hand
---
Pro tip : Thats not how I would do it
#68geneticsftwPosted 1/18/2013 4:11:42 PM
Icecreamdunwich posted...
Darkjedilink is a compulsive liar, it is known.

Must be one of your alts.
---
Sweet
#69thundercat2600Posted 1/18/2013 4:26:32 PM
Jaguar supposedly gets ~1.1 instructions/clock from unoptimized workloads.

Xenos gets 0.2 instructions/clock from highly optimized workloads.

Even at half the clockspeed, you're easily talking over 3x performance/core from Jaguar vs. Xenos. Plus 8 cores instead of 3, more memory bandwidth & lower latency, better vector support, etc etc.
---
they have the PC version of Darksiders 2 running on WiiU in 1080 native at 60 fps and full graphics options on. Neither 360 or PS3 can come close
-darkjedilink
#70geneticsftwPosted 1/18/2013 6:24:46 PM
thundercat2600 posted...
Jaguar supposedly gets ~1.1 instructions/clock from unoptimized workloads.

Xenos gets 0.2 instructions/clock from highly optimized workloads.

Even at half the clockspeed, you're easily talking over 3x performance/core from Jaguar vs. Xenos. Plus 8 cores instead of 3, more memory bandwidth & lower latency, better vector support, etc etc.

Clock speeds matter?
---
Sweet