Orbis specs from Eurogamer's Digital Foundry

#71PendragoonPosted 1/18/2013 6:30:08 PM
geneticsftw posted...
thundercat2600 posted...
Jaguar supposedly gets ~1.1 instructions/clock from unoptimized workloads.

Xenos gets 0.2 instructions/clock from highly optimized workloads.

Even at half the clockspeed, you're easily talking over 3x performance/core from Jaguar vs. Xenos. Plus 8 cores instead of 3, more memory bandwidth & lower latency, better vector support, etc etc.

Clock speeds matter?

They are a factor when you bring in the instructions per clock. This is also something that the Wii U does very well (though I can't find any numbers other than that they are much better than the 360)
---
Know Japanese? Post your advice in the topic below!
http://gamefaqs.com/boards/316-gamefaqs-world-japan/63714709
#72geneticsftwPosted 1/18/2013 6:47:35 PM
PENDRAG0ON posted...
geneticsftw posted...
thundercat2600 posted...

Even at half the clockspeed, you're easily talking over 3x performance/core from Jaguar vs. Xenos. Plus 8 cores instead of 3, more memory bandwidth & lower latency, better vector support, etc etc.

Clock speeds matter?

They are a factor when you bring in the instructions per clock. This is also something that the Wii U does very well (though I can't find any numbers other than that they are much better than the 360)

Okay, basically what I read at this site is, ps360 higher clock speed makes more powerful, wii u is weak. Orbis is lower yet stronger?
---
Sweet
#73thundercat2600Posted 1/18/2013 7:25:42 PM
geneticsftw posted...
PENDRAG0ON posted...
geneticsftw posted...
thundercat2600 posted...

Clock speeds matter?

Okay, basically what I read at this site is, ps360 higher clock speed makes more powerful, wii u is weak. Orbis is lower yet stronger?

Clock speed * average instructions/clock = typical performance for one core. Multiply that by the number of cores and you have a decent idea of what the machine is capable of.

"Clock speed doesn't matter" is a gross oversimplification.
---
they have the PC version of Darksiders 2 running on WiiU in 1080 native at 60 fps and full graphics options on. Neither 360 or PS3 can come close
-darkjedilink
#74geneticsftwPosted 1/18/2013 7:31:43 PM
thundercat2600 posted...
geneticsftw posted...
PENDRAG0ON posted...
geneticsftw posted...
thundercat2600 posted...

Clock speeds matter?

Clock speed * average instructions/clock = typical performance for one core. Multiply that by the number of cores and you have a decent idea of what the machine is capable of.

"Clock speed doesn't matter" is a gross oversimplification.

Thanks, makes more sense than just going by clock speed only. Which I have seen alot of lately. (O_o)
---
Sweet
#75ElectricMolePosted 1/18/2013 8:16:39 PM
Wii U is the pinnacle of AMD mobile graphics technology, theres no way microsoft and sony can come close. Nintendo paid AMD for the big guns for the wii u. There will be no gap in power. Because I'm scared for some reason by the notion that theres something better AMD has to offer to the competition.
---
NinNetID: ElectricMole, PSN: kronekodow7188
#76PendragoonPosted 1/18/2013 8:27:56 PM
The Wii GPU is using less than 15w of power. All Sony and Microsoft have to do is have a similar chip that uses more power to beat it. They can have a lot higher clock speed just by allowing a higher power draw.
---
Know Japanese? Post your advice in the topic below!
http://gamefaqs.com/boards/316-gamefaqs-world-japan/63714709
#77GLDanzegoPosted 1/18/2013 8:59:46 PM
Meh....the specs look nice and all, but I'll be much more impressed if developers can actually manage to make this next generation of software better than the overall quality of the current gen software. I've been playing games since the Atari 2600 and Colecovision and I've never looked back on the games that came out during any other generation and thought "man, this generation of systems pretty much sucked".

Granted, each system had some choice games on them, but on the whole, it has been pretty sad.
#78geneticsftwPosted 1/18/2013 9:17:00 PM
GLDanzego posted...
Meh....the specs look nice and all, but I'll be much more impressed if developers can actually manage to make this next generation of software better than the overall quality of the current gen software. I've been playing games since the Atari 2600 and Colecovision and I've never looked back on the games that came out during any other generation and thought "man, this generation of systems pretty much sucked".

Granted, each system had some choice games on them, but on the whole, it has been pretty sad.

Colecovision! Awesome system, what was your favorite game?
---
Sweet
#79LatebrakerPosted 1/18/2013 9:45:10 PM
The sooner we all accept that the Wii U will once again be underpowered, the less painful the eventual breakdown will be...
#80GLDanzegoPosted 1/18/2013 10:10:09 PM
geneticsftw posted...
GLDanzego posted...

Colecovision! Awesome system, what was your favorite game?

Hard to say, as there were a lot of great games. To name a handful, though, I would say my favorites were Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., Q*Bert, Mouse Trap, and Venture. Frontline was pretty awesome, too, provided you used the Super Action Controller. :)