Orbis specs from Eurogamer's Digital Foundry

#81geneticsftwPosted 1/18/2013 11:13:13 PM
GLDanzego posted...
geneticsftw posted...
GLDanzego posted...
Meh....the specs look nice and all, but I'll be much more impressed if developers can actually manage to make this next generation of software better than the overall quality of the current gen software. I've been playing games since the Atari 2600 and Colecovision and I've never looked back on the games that came out during any other generation and thought "man, this generation of systems pretty much sucked".

Granted, each system had some choice games on them, but on the whole, it has been pretty sad.

Colecovision! Awesome system, what was your favorite game?

Hard to say, as there were a lot of great games. To name a handful, though, I would say my favorites were Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., Q*Bert, Mouse Trap, and Venture. Frontline was pretty awesome, too, provided you used the Super Action Controller. :)

With that controller was awesome :) mouse trap donkey kong jr and looping. I prefer colecovision over atari 2600
---
Sweet
#82DiscostewSMPosted 1/18/2013 11:30:05 PM
Latebraker posted...
The sooner we all accept that the Wii U will once again be underpowered, the less painful the eventual breakdown will be...

I don't think anyone is suggesting the Wii U is more powerful than the PS4 and 720. What people need to accept is that the Wii U won't be so inferior to them as the Wii was with the PS3 and 360.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#83tizzywilkillyouPosted 1/19/2013 7:01:15 AM
DiscostewSM posted...
Latebraker posted...
The sooner we all accept that the Wii U will once again be underpowered, the less painful the eventual breakdown will be...

I don't think anyone is suggesting the Wii U is more powerful than the PS4 and 720. What people need to accept is that the Wii U won't be so inferior to them as the Wii was with the PS3 and 360.

This. The raw power disparity will not be as extreme to begin with, plus the "diminishing returns" phenomenon. Many people are gonna be pretty disappointed I think.
---
i5 2550k, 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3@1600mhz, EVGA GTX 550ti, 120GB OCZ SSD, 22in/1680x1050
#84Shinobi120Posted 1/19/2013 9:36:04 AM
jmichaelbp posted...
geneticsftw posted...
PS3:3.2ghz
PS4:1.6ghz

Well, the PS4 can't compete with the PS3.

Not exactly, considering the rumor that they're jumping ahead to GDDR5, etc. It beats the snot out of GDDR3 in every way.
#85TheApd_ReturnsPosted 1/19/2013 9:53:27 AM
these topics usually end in massive embarrassment in darkjedilink's part. i dont even know why he bothers.
#86Board_hunter567Posted 1/19/2013 10:37:46 AM(edited)
DiaperDandee posted...
Why do people keep posting "specs" for the new consoles when nothing is known. Everyone posts rumors of what is in the next systems and it is constantly changing.

So much this.
The amount of inconsistencies with these things are astonishing. The only thing that changes faster than the specs are the people's opinions on them and what they think each unknown component (like eDRAM) will be.

The way people will pick which parts they like is hilarious as well. They can believe everything 100%, except for key parts like 3GB dedicated for the OS - that just doesn't fly.
#87SuperShyGuy9000Posted 1/19/2013 11:10:18 AM
Board_hunter567 posted...
DiaperDandee posted...
Why do people keep posting "specs" for the new consoles when nothing is known. Everyone posts rumors of what is in the next systems and it is constantly changing.

So much this.
The amount of inconsistencies with these things are astonishing. The only thing that changes faster than the specs are the people's opinions on them and what they think each unknown component (like eDRAM) will be.

The way people will pick which parts they like is hilarious as well. They can believe everything 100%, except for key parts like 3GB dedicated for the OS - that just doesn't fly.

Both sides seem to be that way. For weeks it was hahaha Wii U CPU is so slow when compared to PS3 and 360 now everyone suddenly things are different
#88tizzywilkillyouPosted 1/19/2013 12:53:44 PM
Can we talk about these Jaguar cores? I don't know much about them.

Deep or shallow pipelines? Cache architecture? Etc?

If deep pipelines, those 8 cores will all be needed just to noticeably outperform PS360 potentially. If the architecture is more like the Wii U with shallow pipelines (this is what I'd assume) then things could get more interesting. Though most games don't even come close to fully utilizing 4 cores right now let alone 8, though that obviously can change. Figure a core each for sound and I/O perhaps (Wii U has dedicated hardware for each of those).

So any Jaguar commentary from CPU experts?
---
i5 2550k, 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3@1600mhz, EVGA GTX 550ti, 120GB OCZ SSD, 22in/1680x1050
#89ColorfulColorsPosted 1/19/2013 12:59:34 PM
There's an Orbis board right here:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4

Go post there and not here. K?
---
Go on the Wii U board and find a topic where the word fanboy isn't used. Its impossible.
Once the Atari Puma comes out, every console is doomed~SuperShyGuy9000
#90Xeeh_BitzPosted 1/19/2013 1:10:06 PM
kbe2k2 posted...
http://m.ca.ign.com/articles/2013/01/16/next-gen-secrets-allegedly-leaked-to-nvidia-by-former-amd-executives

What does secrets from AMD executives have to do with this

" As our well-placed sources told us last year, custom silicon based on AMD's A8-series APU and HD 7670 GPU will be used in the PlayStation 4, while the Xbox 720 will combine an IBM PowerPC CPU and a custom version of AMD's 6670 GPU."

Well placed source =/= AMD Executive
---
To be fair, the bible has more plot holes than ME3. I wouldn't be listening either - Pies12