What if Pokemon went the Skylanders route?

#1Bass_X0Posted 1/19/2013 6:23:17 AM
Instead of catching Pokemon in the game, you buy a $10 figurine of the Pokemon you want to be able to add it to your team.

Gotta buy 'em all?
---
"History always favors the victor at the expense of the truth." ~ Rook
#2Shadowbird_RHPosted 1/19/2013 6:27:27 AM
Then Pokemon would crash and burn faster than a jet stuffed with napalm into a dynamite factory.
---
Surrender and I will destroy you peacefully.
R.E.G.I.S. mk5 - Megas XLR
#3DeathSoul2000Posted 1/19/2013 6:28:42 AM
did anyone say you could post this on multiple boards? no, i don't think they did.
#4excitebike64Posted 1/19/2013 9:48:51 AM
Wouldn't work in the Japanese market, unless they limited it to a small number of figurines. They would take too much room. The West might buy into it, but its what about Japan wants when it comes to Pokemon.
#5digiblasterPosted 1/19/2013 10:07:13 AM
Hah. ~$8000 to collect them all.

I know this is purely a speclative question but it would never happen - the gameplay of catching Pokemon is what makes it what it is. If they went the down the 'buy them to use them' route the game would be completely different (unless of course it was a case of being able to buy them on the side, and still catch them in game).
#6Baha05Posted 1/19/2013 10:08:29 AM
Honestly I think they should just go that route with the card games.
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich
#7GloryChaosPosted 1/19/2013 10:08:32 AM
Knowing this board, someone will probably say, "Nintenyearolds only hate the idea because Nintendo hasn't done it yet!"

But perhaps I'm being too cynical.
---
Brawl FC - 1332 8069 6690
http://i.imgur.com/OZ9aS.png
#8lividd3adPosted 1/19/2013 10:12:54 AM
I've grown up with Pokemon (started playing my brother's copy of Red when I was like 3 or 4) and it's probably among my favourite gaming series of all time, but I would abandon ship instantly.

The gaming market is getting greedy. Take Disney Infinity, for example - an open-world Disney game is a brilliant idea to attract both kids and older people who have grown up with Disney but it's simply selfishness that prevents the average consumer from playing the full game. I wouldn't be above paying the average price for the game (40-50 in the UK) but I (and many others) refuse to pay 65 for a game with just three areas available, having to pay 13 apiece for the rest.

It's greed. That's all.
---
Backloggery: http://www.backloggery.com/flyingmintbunny
#9KidHeartBreakPosted 1/19/2013 11:40:13 AM
Imagine the Pokemon Stadium series. Anyone who didn't have the luxury of trading them from their handheld was allowed to rent Lv. 100 Pokemon. Instead with this you could buy the figurine in order to use it in battle. I'm guessing they wouldn't cost nearly as much as Skylanders, because they'd have a different purpose.
---
GT: Major So Lucky
NNID: HeartBreak