The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

With all the arguments of "power" aside, can we just focus on one thing?

#1Virus66Posted 1/19/2013 11:22:31 AM
The games and the "fun" factor. For those to whom it applies, this may be a long read.

A lot of people would argue that this past generation of games on all platforms were a little lacking. Maybe they are jaded gamers looking for the first thrill of gaming all over again, or any numbers of other reasons. But more often than not, what I've heard is that very few games this generation had the impact of the previous generations. In, my opinion, most developers were aiming for the realism benchmark instead of perfecting gameplay. That is what the last generation was all about: pushing the HD graphics. There is nothing inherently wrong with this however.

There was a huge graphical gap when HD became standard and developers could now push their in-game assets to their potential. There has obviously been a market for it. Prime example is the Uncharted games. They look pretty, but at the core of the game, they are lacking in terms of gameplay and overall design. Very basic climbing, very basic combat... every thing in terms of gameplay had been done better in another game. However, the art direction, cutscenes and overall storytelling of the game is what carried it to success, almost all attributed by the strength of graphics alone. I do not condemn the game either. It was enjoyable to watch and experience and it deserves the applause it has received. Another example is Final Fantasy XIII. Beautiful game, but terrible design and polarizing combat. Just another case of all style and no substance. There are dozens of examples of this across all platforms and it transcends all genres. Shooters, racing games, action, fighting...

Now we stand on the cusp of the next generation. From looking at the rumors swirling around in the ether, the jump in graphics between generations is not going to be very big when compared to previous ones. What does this bode for the future of gaming? This leads me to wonder if we may finally enter another golden age of gaming this generation. Without as much catch-up to do in the graphical department, such as the HD gap and perfecting the use of HD graphics, will we see more games based on HOW you play instead of just pretty graphics? Clever game design and innovation in storytelling instead of relying on visual flair and tried and true mechanics? Patents have been issued for all three companies for controllers and new ways to play. Some new directions for gaming have emerged that shift the focus back into storytelling as well with the likes of The Walking Dead. Even indie gaming has seen a surge with just the raw simplicity of it's design being a success. I think that not only the big three see it, but many other developers are taking cue. It could be possible that we may see a solid generation ripe with some games the likes of which we haven't experienced for nearly 2 decades.

Now, I understand there will always exist the games that aim strictly for visual flair, and that's fine. However, perfecting gameplay will hopefully be the focus for many. Whether it is a emphasis away from one genre, a return of another one, or a renewal in epic storytelling, this new generation of gaming has a lot of potential. The question is whether or not developers will take the opportunity placed in front of them.

For those of you who managed to read this, what are your thoughts? Is it possible to see a resurgence in the industry with this generation? Are you sick of the fact that 1/4 games released are shooters? Are you lamenting the direction of RPGs? Maybe you are completely content?
---
PSN: JVir NNID: Jayvir
Smash Bros Mains- Samus, Ness, Pit
#2HungoverHero777Posted 1/19/2013 11:26:10 AM
I think graphics have hit a limit during the late PS3/360 cycle. I personally don't think graphics could look any better, short of Pixar quality.

I'm glad you posted this topic, because I was going to make something similar: What the hell happened to gaming? Does anyone remember when people played video games just to have fun???
---
My ideas for Crash Bandicoot Returns: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/927750-playstation-3/64976858
Official "Co-Pun-isher" of the C2 board.
#3Virus66(Topic Creator)Posted 1/19/2013 11:36:59 AM
I've seen a few notable people on record say that the graphic ceiling had been reached for the time being. Graphics could always look better. I mean a lot of games have muddy textures, improperly synced facial movements or 'uncanny valley' syndrome and bitmapped trees. Seriously, look up at a tree sometime in a FPS and see how it never changes. However, those are just minor adjustments, nothing grand in the scheme of things. Aside from seeing some drastic reduction in development costs, I cannot see it being reasonable to justify the budget required to produce Ultrarealism or Pixar level graphics.
---
#4tizzywilkillyouPosted 1/19/2013 11:40:30 AM
HungoverHero777 posted...
I think graphics have hit a limit during the late PS3/360 cycle. I personally don't think graphics could look any better, short of Pixar quality.

I'm glad you posted this topic, because I was going to make something similar: What the hell happened to gaming? Does anyone remember when people played video games just to have fun???

It can certainly look better, no doubt. But enough better to the point that PS4/720 will "absolutely blow the Wii U out of the water"?

No. We're firmly in "diminishing returns" territory now. A lot of people are going to be disappointed when they realize Sony and Microsoft's next offerings won't offer photorealism.
---
i5 2550k, 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3@1600mhz, EVGA GTX 550ti, 120GB OCZ SSD, 22in/1680x1050
#5DemonDog666Posted 1/19/2013 11:43:05 AM
tizzywilkillyou posted...
It can certainly look better, no doubt. But enough better to the point that PS4/720 will "absolutely blow the Wii U out of the water"?

No. We're firmly in "diminishing returns" territory now. A lot of people are going to be disappointed when they realize Sony and Microsoft's next offerings won't offer photorealism.

It's not about graphics it's about the wiiU cpu being too weak to handle the gameplay.
#6Virus66(Topic Creator)Posted 1/19/2013 11:47:54 AM
Leave it to you to turn this into a hate topic. This isn't about any one company you tool. Take your trolling somewhere else.
---
#7TheBonfiniPosted 1/19/2013 11:53:05 AM
Games are not even close to reaching a ceiling as far as even "fun" is concerned.

Games will continue to evolve at a geometric rate along with technology.
---
www.facebook.com/mikebonfini
Sapphic ladies - http://i.imgur.com/hU2rJ.jpg
#8tizzywilkillyouPosted 1/19/2013 12:12:56 PM
TheBonfini posted...
Games are not even close to reaching a ceiling as far as even "fun" is concerned.

Games will evolve, but how do you quantify "amount of fun" and claim that it'll keep increasing exponentially? People playing SMB in 1986 weren't having as much fun as people playing Goldeneye 007 in 1997 who in turn weren't having as much fun as people playing Uncharted in 2010?
---
i5 2550k, 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3@1600mhz, EVGA GTX 550ti, 120GB OCZ SSD, 22in/1680x1050
#9Virus66(Topic Creator)Posted 1/19/2013 12:16:02 PM
tizzywilkillyou posted...
TheBonfini posted...

Games will evolve, but how do you quantify "amount of fun" and claim that it'll keep increasing exponentially? People playing SMB in 1986 weren't having as much fun as people playing Goldeneye 007 in 1997 who in turn weren't having as much fun as people playing Uncharted in 2010?

Yeah, I kinda thought that was a weird statement as well. A lot of people would argue that they had more fun with older games lol
---
#10Christopher BelmontPosted 1/19/2013 12:21:02 PM
Lol, the debate over "power" will never die folks. The reality is that we need to ACCEPT THAT!

Power has been a hot topic since the dawn of gaming. SNES vs. Genesis, PS vs. N64 vs. Saturn. Atari vs. Intellivision.

Just get used to it and if you don't participate then that's fine. But it's almost assuredly never going away.
---
When the going gets tough, kick going in the balls!