Jaredexe posted...
DiscostewSM posted...
The Wii U doesn't have USB 3.0 - *GASP*
The Wii U doesn't have a high-clocked CPU - *GASP*
The Wii U doesn't have a 1000 Watt PSU - *GASP*
The Wii U isn't a super computer - *GASP*
The Wii U isn't made by Sony or Microsoft - *GASP*
The Wii U doesn't wash your dishes - *GASP*
The Wii U doesn't wipe your bum - Do it yourself!

your right, this thing has nothing going for it to be honest

Your last post was ignored so you had to make another attention-starved attempt at trolling? Pathetic.
---
Bear in my oatmeal!
#32SolisPosted 1/19/2013 7:25:48 PM
DiscostewSM posted...
If they were to add USB 3.0, then they might as well have gone full digital because of the disparity between going digital and going with physical media, unless of course you feel that if they went with USB 3.0, they might as well have a drive and disc media that could handle that same transfer rate, and you know how much that would cost for consumers?

The Wii U drive runs at 5x for 22.5MB/s. In order to achieve USB 3.0 speeds, the drive would have to read at about 45x to 50x. Can someone please tell me where I could buy a 45x speed Bluray drive?

Uhh, what? That makes no sense. Why should other storage devices be limited to the optical drive speed? By that logic they should limit the system output to 480p too so that the games look the same between an HDTV and the gamepad.

EnVy_CaLiBeR posted...
The thing is, the only thing that you're using the USB ports for is for game data and for accessories like keyboards. It's really not that big of a deal. On a computer I could see that (my computer has all USB 3.0 ports) but you can use those ports for a number of things on a computer. The Wii U uses it for a couple of reasons that still perform perfectly fine using USB 2.0. USB 3.0 is indeed faster than USB 2.0 but USB 2.0 is more than enough for what the Wii U needs to use a USB port for. For that reason, USB 3.0 would be far more important to a system like the Wii U than it would be even for a PC.

Of course things get blown up to be more than what it really is on this board.

And that would be perfectly fine, except that USB is the only real way to expand the system's storage (since you can't even store games on an SD card). If it had a SATA or eSATA port, then sure, having USB 3.0 wouldn't be as big of a deal. But when it's literally the only option for adding onto the system's (rather paltry) included storage, it's a pretty big deal.

Not to mention if you've seen the difference between a game running from a USB 2.0 device and a decent quality 3.0 one (or the equivalent difference in storage device transfer speeds), you'd know it can offer an incredible improvement to things like loading times, texture streaming, and stuttering.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#33Xeeh_BitzPosted 1/19/2013 7:47:38 PM
Skul_ posted...
aaronkelley posted...
> Hell I can almost download faster than USB 2.0 transfers.

480 megabits. You must have a nice connection...

https://fiber.google.com/about/

Holy crap they have free internet.

Yeah they do actually, it's slow as hell but great for those parents who only check E-Mail, buy the equipment($300) and you get 7 years at least of free internet.
---
To be fair, the bible has more plot holes than ME3. I wouldn't be listening either - Pies12
#34ORANGE666(Topic Creator)Posted 1/20/2013 12:54:00 PM
DiscostewSM posted...
If they were to add USB 3.0, then they might as well have gone full digital because of the disparity between going digital and going with physical media, unless of course you feel that if they went with USB 3.0, they might as well have a drive and disc media that could handle that same transfer rate, and you know how much that would cost for consumers?

The Wii U drive runs at 5x for 22.5MB/s. In order to achieve USB 3.0 speeds, the drive would have to read at about 45x to 50x. Can someone please tell me where I could buy a 45x speed Bluray drive?

Nintendo could add the feature to install the entire game to external memory like the X360 does. The Disc only spins at start up to make sure you still have it.

So people that haven't gone digital could also experience 3.0 SSD speeds.