Has the Mario franchise gone downhill like Sonic has?

#41ukokira1Posted 1/19/2013 8:24:56 PM
darealest47 posted...
AhnoldDood posted...
1) Flamebait.

2) No, it hasn't.

3) The Sonic franchise stopped going downhill, starting with Unleashed.

---
Look at you, soaring through the air like an bird... Piloting a blimp.
#42dillo9000Posted 1/19/2013 8:45:21 PM
Sonic started declining with Heroes, continued with Shadow, and hit rock-bottom with Sonic 06, but started to climb back with Unleashed and Sonic 4, and is back and better than ever with Colors and Generations. 3D Mario is steadily climbing fast, and while nostalgic, NSMB series weren't that strong in any particular area, but NSMBU is the best in the NSMB series. Still not comparable to World, but it could get there. I say all 3 are getting better with every game released at this point.
---
Can't wait for: Persona 5, Pikmin 3, SSB4
Currently playing: Persona 4 Arena, Persona 3 FES, Sonic Adventure
#43BIG_C_4_LIFEPosted 1/19/2013 8:53:16 PM
Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations are great so Sonic has returned to his former glory.
---
(Currently thinking of a clever and original signature...... this could take a ****ing while)
#44_Sovereign_Posted 1/19/2013 8:55:44 PM
Crimson681 posted...
None of the Mario games since Super Mario World have been as good.

I know everyone is entitled to their opinion and all, and I respect that, but everyone should be able to veto at least one opinion, and this one takes that vote
---
We impose order on the chaos of organic evolution. You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.
#45MarioMan847(Topic Creator)Posted 1/19/2013 8:57:44 PM
wiiking96 posted...
The developers just aren't coming up with very fresh ideas these days because they have no motivation to do so. At least the Sonic series hasn't rehashed the same stories, music, and world themes for a bunch of games in a row. Sticker Star is an unfortunate example of the franchises' stagnation leaking into places of it that used to be unique and full of creativity.

They didn't need to come up with very fresh ideas because those old ideas are still fun. The old ideas were still good with Sonic, but they changed too much which is why so many 21st Century Sonic games were ridiculed. With NSMB, Nintendo didn't innovate that much because they feel that the heart of the franchise would be ruined, which already happened for some people with games like Sunshine and (like you mentioned) Sticker Star.
---
Video games are awesome.
#46KCJ5062Posted 1/19/2013 8:57:48 PM
Crimson681 posted...
None of the Mario games since Super Mario World have been as good.

Know how people say opinions can't be wrong? Statements like this prove otherwise.
#47Kou-NurasakaPosted 1/19/2013 8:58:28 PM
I was one of the few peope who didn't care for Galaxy. It wasn't a bad movie by any means, but it didn't hold my interest beyond the 50% mark.

However, I loved Sunshine and the GBA RPG games. Those were really fun and interesting spins on the franchise.

I think Mario has slipped a bit, but he was never one of my fav game franchises.
#48MarioMan847(Topic Creator)Posted 1/19/2013 9:00:46 PM
This...... This poll has hundreds of votes. *shakes*

o_o
---
Video games are awesome.
#49wiiking96Posted 1/19/2013 9:01:18 PM
MarioMan847 posted...
wiiking96 posted...
The developers just aren't coming up with very fresh ideas these days because they have no motivation to do so. At least the Sonic series hasn't rehashed the same stories, music, and world themes for a bunch of games in a row. Sticker Star is an unfortunate example of the franchises' stagnation leaking into places of it that used to be unique and full of creativity.

They didn't need to come up with very fresh ideas because those old ideas are still fun. The old ideas were still good with Sonic, but they changed too much which is why so many 21st Century Sonic games were ridiculed. With NSMB, Nintendo didn't innovate that much because they feel that the heart of the franchise would be ruined, which already happened for some people with games like Sunshine and (like you mentioned) Sticker Star.

The heart of the franchise is not overused world themes and 3 bonk bosses. Nintendo can add more and still have the game retain the Mario feel. Did DKC2: Diddy's Kong Quest not retain the heart of the Donkey Kong Franchise despite it's all new world themes, music, and bosses?

It's people like you that are preventing video games from progressing.
---
More villains need to be protagonists. BiS proves it can work.
Ridley, Ganondorf, Fawful, Bowser, and Dimentio all for their own games!
#50PUNCHOUT1116Posted 1/19/2013 9:02:44 PM
Nope
---
-
Good stuff