I fail to understand the whole, "Wii-U has no online" thing...

#1jillwarrenPosted 1/20/2013 7:31:17 PM
There is an account system. What is the main problem? Apparently it is a horrible thing to "tie" games to systems. Why? My PS3 purchases are "tied" to a max of two systems. If I put it on more than two I have to buy it again; how is that better than Nintendo allowing me to transfer my data from one system to another?

Every game I've played online is great. Now the communities are not HUGE, but neither is the install base.

I just don't see how PSN is truly better in anyway than the NIntendo Network. The only real thing people throw out is "party chat" which as far as I know is only on the 360. I just don't get how the online is considered "bad." Heck, I would expect a pay for premium service like X-Box live to include a few features not included in free online systems.
---
NN: peteywarren PSN: peteywarren0829
I owe Jesus everything; I love you Lord
#2NerdstickPosted 1/20/2013 7:47:12 PM(edited)
Not sure about the 2-max, though I'd assume you'd be able to remove systems manually? That's 2 copies of the game compared to one on the WiiU. Having it tied to the account gives you a lot more ownership and safety (one involves simply re-downloading, the other involves contacting Nintendo and hoping they sync it to a new console if necessary). Is there even a limit on 360?

Another example: You can go to a friend's house, log into your 360 account on their system, and download one of your games. You can then play the full game either in co-op, or if you just want to let your friend try it, he can play the full game without owning it so long as you're logged in. For convenience-sake, if you have a bunch of games installed to a flash drive, you can simply throw that in your pocket and bring your collection of games to your friend's house to play on their system, again, giving them full access.

(to my knowledge..) Another (perhaps devious) use of the system: Arcade games on 360 are licensed -both- to the account that purchased it, -and- the system it was bought on. So hypothetically speaking, if you always played your 360 online (which you should), and you had a best friend/partner who also plays 360, and you had an Arcade game you wanted to buy, you could buy it on your account, on their system, and the game will be licensed to their system and able to play it at any time, even when you're logged out. When you're logged into your account at home, the game is still licensed to your account, so you can play another copy at home (so long as you're logged in, that's the caveat, but if you're always logged in this doesn't really matter).

By all means, the way the 360 (and perhaps PS3) handle it, you practically own a physical copy of the game.

Among a slew of other smaller reasons. Essentially what it boils down to is that when you buy games on the eShop, as Ashen put it, you're robbing yourself of value.
#3SSJ4CHRISPosted 1/20/2013 7:54:09 PM
PS3 games are tied to "two" systems. They can be played on both of those systems at the same time. You can delete a game from your console and redownload it whenever you want it back. If your console breaks, you can redownload your games and files without shipping the console off. You can add more, accounts from different PSN users and share games with them. That's what accounts are.

WiiU locks all games to "one" console. You can't have your games on more than one system at a time, even in your own house if you own more than one system, unless you PAY FOR THEM AGAIN. If your console breaks, you have to send your NEW console to Nintendo to get your files back, and they won't give you the same Nintendo ID back.

I don't know how that became "WiiU has no online", but it's not what accounts do. Hell, WiiU "accounts" are basically friend codes at this point. I don't know why people cry and whine about Capcom, but let Nintendo slide on system locked content so easily?
---
Pokemon White FC: 0346 8604 2225 PSN: phayro_rip
People Only Like Obama, that's the motto Romney, P.O.L.O.
#4Baha05Posted 1/20/2013 8:00:38 PM
SSJ4CHRIS posted...
I don't know how that became "WiiU has no online", but it's not what accounts do. Hell, WiiU "accounts" are basically friend codes at this point. I don't know why people cry and whine about Capcom, but let Nintendo slide on system locked content so easily?

Because with Capcom they are charging you money for locked content already on the disc while Nintendo isn't charging money for having content locked on the system, added with the fact that they could (And most likely are) overall patch and update the issue.
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich
#5super_cloutPosted 1/20/2013 8:01:54 PM
On 360 everything really is tied to one system, but a system transfer can be done every 12

months.
#6NerdstickPosted 1/20/2013 8:03:23 PM
super_clout posted...
On 360 everything really is tied to one system, but a system transfer can be done every 12

months.

? Maybe the system-licenses, but they're also licensed to the profile that it was bought on and can be played on any other system.
#7Baha05Posted 1/20/2013 8:09:03 PM
Nerdstick posted...
? Maybe the system-licenses, but they're also licensed to the profile that it was bought on and can be played on any other system.

Big downside to that is content bought on one user is therefore locked onto a user if you do a system transfer and you say don't have the licenses transferred. So if someone on another account wants to use said content on the same system it'll block them out unless the originsal own is logged in or the content is downloaded.
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich
#8SSJ4CHRISPosted 1/20/2013 8:09:27 PM
Baha05 posted...
SSJ4CHRIS posted...

Because with Capcom they are charging you money for locked content already on the disc while Nintendo isn't charging money for having content locked on the system, added with the fact that they could (And most likely are) overall patch and update the issue.

Ah, the "and most likely are" argument. So because you choose to believe it, they must be doing it? And how will you delude yourself if they aren't doing that? You find any and every way you can to try to defend Nintendo. You still think they don't need multiplatform games because they are "last-gen" and just "ports"? You like Nintendo, but want them limited because of your ignorant opinion? Nice fan you are.
---
Pokemon White FC: 0346 8604 2225 PSN: phayro_rip
People Only Like Obama, that's the motto Romney, P.O.L.O.
#9Baha05Posted 1/20/2013 8:16:41 PM
SSJ4CHRIS posted...
Ah, the "and most likely are" argument. So because you choose to believe it, they must be doing it? And how will you delude yourself if they aren't doing that? You find any and every way you can to try to defend Nintendo. You still think they don't need multiplatform games because they are "last-gen" and just "ports"? You like Nintendo, but want them limited because of your ignorant opinion? Nice fan you are.

It's called speculation. If Nintendo doesn't fix how the account systems work then there will be a huge backlash against them but again a big difference in the ability to fix up an account system then there is with Capcom locking content already on the disk and selling it.

Also again my comment in the other topic it was a stab at the bored and honestly even if Nintendo did get ports from the 360 and the PS3, do you even think they would sell at all? It's pretty evident that porting those games are not the best thing for the devs, publishers, or Nintendo. Best for devs to make original games then spend the money to port a game onto the Wii U which wouldn't sell nearly as much as say the millions of gamers on the PS3 and the 360.
---
#10jillwarren(Topic Creator)Posted 1/20/2013 8:54:32 PM
Nerdstick posted...
Not sure about the 2-max, though I'd assume you'd be able to remove systems manually? That's 2 copies of the game compared to one on the WiiU. Having it tied to the account gives you a lot more ownership and safety (one involves simply re-downloading, the other involves contacting Nintendo and hoping they sync it to a new console if necessary). Is there even a limit on 360?

Another example: You can go to a friend's house, log into your 360 account on their system, and download one of your games. You can then play the full game either in co-op, or if you just want to let your friend try it, he can play the full game without owning it so long as you're logged in. For convenience-sake, if you have a bunch of games installed to a flash drive, you can simply throw that in your pocket and bring your collection of games to your friend's house to play on their system, again, giving them full access.

(to my knowledge..) Another (perhaps devious) use of the system: Arcade games on 360 are licensed -both- to the account that purchased it, -and- the system it was bought on. So hypothetically speaking, if you always played your 360 online (which you should), and you had a best friend/partner who also plays 360, and you had an Arcade game you wanted to buy, you could buy it on your account, on their system, and the game will be licensed to their system and able to play it at any time, even when you're logged out. When you're logged into your account at home, the game is still licensed to your account, so you can play another copy at home (so long as you're logged in, that's the caveat, but if you're always logged in this doesn't really matter).

By all means, the way the 360 (and perhaps PS3) handle it, you practically own a physical copy of the game.

Among a slew of other smaller reasons. Essentially what it boils down to is that when you buy games on the eShop, as Ashen put it, you're robbing yourself of value.

The two games is for PSN. It used to be 5, but they changed it about 2 years back to 2. To clarify, your Nintendo eShop purchases ARE tied to your account; logging onto Club Nintendo will show you everything that has been purchased by that account. If your system is irreparibly damaged, Nintendo WILL allow you to redownload things onto your new system. Yes you have to contact them and all, but they will do it. This is not that much of a deal, as I see it.

As per the way that X-Box Live is set up, I return to one of my original points: should we not expect a paid service to offer more options than a free one? Nintendo is a failure because they don't offer premium services for free?
---
NN: peteywarren PSN: peteywarren0829
I owe Jesus everything; I love you Lord