I fail to understand the whole, "Wii-U has no online" thing...

#11jillwarren(Topic Creator)Posted 1/22/2013 1:27:11 AM
Bump.
---
NN: peteywarren PSN: peteywarren0829
I owe Jesus everything; I love you Lord
#12nedrithPosted 1/22/2013 1:35:14 AM
jillwarren posted...
Nerdstick posted...
Not sure about the 2-max, though I'd assume you'd be able to remove systems manually? That's 2 copies of the game compared to one on the WiiU. Having it tied to the account gives you a lot more ownership and safety (one involves simply re-downloading, the other involves contacting Nintendo and hoping they sync it to a new console if necessary). Is there even a limit on 360?

Another example: You can go to a friend's house, log into your 360 account on their system, and download one of your games. You can then play the full game either in co-op, or if you just want to let your friend try it, he can play the full game without owning it so long as you're logged in. For convenience-sake, if you have a bunch of games installed to a flash drive, you can simply throw that in your pocket and bring your collection of games to your friend's house to play on their system, again, giving them full access.

(to my knowledge..) Another (perhaps devious) use of the system: Arcade games on 360 are licensed -both- to the account that purchased it, -and- the system it was bought on. So hypothetically speaking, if you always played your 360 online (which you should), and you had a best friend/partner who also plays 360, and you had an Arcade game you wanted to buy, you could buy it on your account, on their system, and the game will be licensed to their system and able to play it at any time, even when you're logged out. When you're logged into your account at home, the game is still licensed to your account, so you can play another copy at home (so long as you're logged in, that's the caveat, but if you're always logged in this doesn't really matter).

By all means, the way the 360 (and perhaps PS3) handle it, you practically own a physical copy of the game.

Among a slew of other smaller reasons. Essentially what it boils down to is that when you buy games on the eShop, as Ashen put it, you're robbing yourself of value.

The two games is for PSN. It used to be 5, but they changed it about 2 years back to 2. To clarify, your Nintendo eShop purchases ARE tied to your account; logging onto Club Nintendo will show you everything that has been purchased by that account. If your system is irreparibly damaged, Nintendo WILL allow you to redownload things onto your new system. Yes you have to contact them and all, but they will do it. This is not that much of a deal, as I see it.

As per the way that X-Box Live is set up, I return to one of my original points: should we not expect a paid service to offer more options than a free one? Nintendo is a failure because they don't offer premium services for free?

It's a bad oversight but not a failure. PS3 shouldn't offer it because 360 has made the terrible idea of charging for online? Actually I would argue that the PS3 does it better than the 360. the PSN restricts the 2 copies to the systems activated as in I could deactivate at any time and reactivate on another console. If I have 3 PS3s A B and C, I could copy account from A or B to C. with how the 360 does it if I bought the game on A I can only transfer the other copy from B to C, A is stuck with it until A's time limit on license transfer is up.

I actually cannot think of a single service Live offers that should be paid for btw so putting any of them on a free system isn't terrible. Remember also you pay Nintendo/Sony/MS for their services every time you buy a game as part of the fees the publisher pays is to those companies. So in a sense by paying for Live you are paying them twice.
#13jillwarren(Topic Creator)Posted 1/22/2013 1:47:34 AM
nedrith posted...
jillwarren posted...
Nerdstick posted...

We may be understanding PSN differently; the way it reads on the user agreement is that you can download the game to two different systems and that's it. Now if it will let you back up you entire system to a third system if your first one fails then that's a little bit better.

So far, the only real interesting things I have seen brought up (I am not attributing this to you personally) in the whole "online" criticism situation are these:

Party Chat
Cross System Play

That's it, really. Unless I'm wrong, party chat is a Live exclusive, and Cross System Play (i.e. downloading a PS1 Classic and transferring it to your PSP) is exclusive to Sony.

Neither are really "standard," or they would be on both the 360 and the PS3; so again, I fail to see why the Wii-U's online is "incomplete."

Wait, I did forget about universal achievements. Not that big a deal to me, but it is a big deal to some.

Are those the only real complaints about the online?
---
NN: peteywarren PSN: peteywarren0829
I owe Jesus everything; I love you Lord
#14TechniMyokoPosted 1/22/2013 6:48:35 AM
No trophy system, just an almost identical clone to vitas activity log
No cross game voice chat or text chat
Purchases are tied to hardware instead of the account
Very few games using online multiplayer
#15crowe_1Posted 1/22/2013 8:11:13 AM
TechniMyoko posted...
No trophy system, just an almost identical clone to vitas activity log
No cross game voice chat or text chat
Purchases are tied to hardware instead of the account
Very few games using online multiplayer

To be fair, Wii's Nintendo Channel had an activity log before the Vita even came out. Also, Miiverse allows for sending messages between friends, and conversations can be carried on through the message board as well, same as gamefaqs or Facebook. And there is the FaceTime feature that I haven't used but is accessible by anyone with the system and an Internet connection. That should count for something. Neither Miiverse nor the video chat is available to the HD twins, Kinect notwithstanding, and they are both worthwhile features. Not that having party chat wouldn't be great, but it's not like Wii U has nothing going for it in terms of communication.

Also obviously the account-based games would be a plus. When Wii U was announced I was hoping I could transfer my WiiVC games to an account on Wii U, but it didnt't work that way so I left them on my Wii. Little miffed, but fingers crossed on that for the future.
---
My SSBM combo vids:
http://www.youtube.com/user/crowe1
#16kissdadookiePosted 1/22/2013 8:48:09 AM
jillwarren posted...
There is an account system. What is the main problem? Apparently it is a horrible thing to "tie" games to systems. Why? My PS3 purchases are "tied" to a max of two systems. If I put it on more than two I have to buy it again; how is that better than Nintendo allowing me to transfer my data from one system to another?

Every game I've played online is great. Now the communities are not HUGE, but neither is the install base.

I just don't see how PSN is truly better in anyway than the NIntendo Network. The only real thing people throw out is "party chat" which as far as I know is only on the 360. I just don't get how the online is considered "bad." Heck, I would expect a pay for premium service like X-Box live to include a few features not included in free online systems.

At least with the PS3, you can DETACH a console from your account. Your content is tied to your ACCOUNT on PSN rather than the actual machine. Accounts lasts far longer than hardware ever does (that PSN account is going to work with the upcoming PS4 right of the bat). So no, your PSN purchases are NOT tied to your PS3, your PSN purchases are tied to your PSN account and your PS3 is tied to that account (which again, you can detach a console from your PSN account freely). Wii U is tied to the hardware. Not only do you NOT have the option of having two systems being able to access the same purchases, you're also stuck without a machine if your Wii U dies on you and will have to send the console to Nintendo for transferring the content over. PS3 you can actually connect a HDD and do your own system back ups which you can transfer to another machine if you wish (that's really the reason they allow two consoles to be registered to a PSN account, it's basically so that you may be able to access your content if your first machine dies on you).

Another thing that is completely arse backwards with Nintendo's online infrastructure is your eShop account. Why the heck is the 3DS eShop separate from the Wii U eShop even purely on the online funds POV. You literally need to maintain two online wallets for each since Nintendo has not integrated the two eShops so that they share the same online wallet. Makes no sense.
#17kissdadookiePosted 1/22/2013 8:49:50 AM
jillwarren posted...
Nerdstick posted...
Not sure about the 2-max, though I'd assume you'd be able to remove systems manually? That's 2 copies of the game compared to one on the WiiU. Having it tied to the account gives you a lot more ownership and safety (one involves simply re-downloading, the other involves contacting Nintendo and hoping they sync it to a new console if necessary). Is there even a limit on 360?

Another example: You can go to a friend's house, log into your 360 account on their system, and download one of your games. You can then play the full game either in co-op, or if you just want to let your friend try it, he can play the full game without owning it so long as you're logged in. For convenience-sake, if you have a bunch of games installed to a flash drive, you can simply throw that in your pocket and bring your collection of games to your friend's house to play on their system, again, giving them full access.

(to my knowledge..) Another (perhaps devious) use of the system: Arcade games on 360 are licensed -both- to the account that purchased it, -and- the system it was bought on. So hypothetically speaking, if you always played your 360 online (which you should), and you had a best friend/partner who also plays 360, and you had an Arcade game you wanted to buy, you could buy it on your account, on their system, and the game will be licensed to their system and able to play it at any time, even when you're logged out. When you're logged into your account at home, the game is still licensed to your account, so you can play another copy at home (so long as you're logged in, that's the caveat, but if you're always logged in this doesn't really matter).

By all means, the way the 360 (and perhaps PS3) handle it, you practically own a physical copy of the game.

Among a slew of other smaller reasons. Essentially what it boils down to is that when you buy games on the eShop, as Ashen put it, you're robbing yourself of value.

The two games is for PSN. It used to be 5, but they changed it about 2 years back to 2. To clarify, your Nintendo eShop purchases ARE tied to your account; logging onto Club Nintendo will show you everything that has been purchased by that account. If your system is irreparibly damaged, Nintendo WILL allow you to redownload things onto your new system. Yes you have to contact them and all, but they will do it. This is not that much of a deal, as I see it.

As per the way that X-Box Live is set up, I return to one of my original points: should we not expect a paid service to offer more options than a free one? Nintendo is a failure because they don't offer premium services for free?

Nintendo doesn't really allow you to redownload the purchases. What Nintendo does is go back and see what you have purchased, the total cost of all your purchases, and then issue what is essentially store credit. That alone shows the complete incompetence of Nintendo's online infrastructure and accounts management system.
#18Faceman_Posted 1/22/2013 9:01:55 AM
The people who say that (referring to the title) are just sheep who want to pay for the exact same thing they've spent money on before. I don't know about everyone else, but I feel like Nintendo got online right. Far better than ps3 and 360. Online gaming was supposed to bring gamers together, instead, all it it does is force people trying to have a good time to listen to kids swearing at the top of their lungs. Hell, even some 'adults' do it.

With Miiverse, especially in NSMBU, there is actually cival game interaction. I love dying and seeing that everybody dies at the same part to the exact same trap. Some think it's too strict, but I really don't mind it. If it means every other post isn't "Nintendo sucks", a random assortment of cursing or pictures of male genitalia then mod away Nintendo.

Pat yourselves on the back for being the first company to do online right. If I wore hats, I'd tip mine to you .
#19NarutoPosted 1/22/2013 9:06:07 AM
super_clout posted...
On 360 everything really is tied to one system, but a system transfer can be done every 12

months.

You can log into your friend's 360, download your stuff and it'll be playable. You just need to be logged into Live. On the other hand, if you want to play the stuff while offline, you do need to do a system transfer, but it's now once every four months.
#20kissdadookiePosted 1/22/2013 9:11:07 AM(edited)
Faceman_ posted...
The people who say that (referring to the title) are just sheep who want to pay for the exact same thing they've spent money on before. I don't know about everyone else, but I feel like Nintendo got online right. Far better than ps3 and 360. Online gaming was supposed to bring gamers together, instead, all it it does is force people trying to have a good time to listen to kids swearing at the top of their lungs. Hell, even some 'adults' do it.

With Miiverse, especially in NSMBU, there is actually cival game interaction. I love dying and seeing that everybody dies at the same part to the exact same trap. Some think it's too strict, but I really don't mind it. If it means every other post isn't "Nintendo sucks", a random assortment of cursing or pictures of male genitalia then mod away Nintendo.

Pat yourselves on the back for being the first company to do online right. If I wore hats, I'd tip mine to you .

I love Miiverse, the chatboards part of it basically, but if you consider the integration in NSMBU to be anything resembling actual interaction, you are just completely delusional.

Also, if you fear foul language so much, you should just never ever turn on the radio, the TV, or leave your house for that matter, EVER.