"Nintendoomed"- Yahoo

#41SuperShyGuy9000Posted 1/21/2013 7:59:41 AM
That article was the reason I created this topic

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/631516-wii-u/65237159
#42AnderjakPosted 1/21/2013 8:03:17 AM
What the article doesn't inform you of is the fact that the PS3 sold the same numbers while selling at cost. If Nintendo is to be believed, only one piece of software needs to be purchased for a Wii U unit to be profitable.

The sales aren't good (heck, they're barely okay), but it's still better than the PS3's initial run, and Nintendo has bigger games coming down the pipeline. We're likely not going to see a huge lift in profits until some main line Nintendo titles start dropping -- and even then, we'll probably see a small price drop around that point. With the hardware introduced, E3's likely going to be a good year for them this year, which may help push their stocks up if they can put on a good show -- and with a number of titles teased but not yet announced, they have a lot up their sleeve to draw in a crowd.

It's not doomed. Heck, if they could pull out a success with the 3DS after an abysmal launch -- meaning, of course, they need to do just well enough to stay afloat for a year and pick their numbers back up with some core, wide-spreading titles and a number of hardcore titles to grab at the smaller markets -- they'll be fine.

It's just going to be a particularly tough time for a while, tougher than a lot of launches Nintendo's ever had, and likely the toughest. The general market doesn't want to afford a new console at the moment, and probably won't be for a while.
---
An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.
#43SuperShyGuy9000Posted 1/21/2013 8:09:30 AM
I also noticed that the article is pulled from BGR which I see is a mobile phone review site. No wonder they couldn't tell it's a typical January in Japan.
#44RikusTwilightPosted 1/21/2013 8:14:37 AM
A lot of people are holding off for a proper Mario, Zelda, Metroid etc - one of Nintendo's Killer Apps which will make it fly off the shelves like hot cakes.

Its far from dead, and at only two months old - meh.
#45BannanaBomb2002Posted 1/21/2013 8:20:09 AM
Get ready for another Metroid Other M
#46SerOnionKnightPosted 1/21/2013 8:46:59 AM
P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N posted...
*Nintendo launches console with over 20 titles*

"It has no gaems! derp!"

As if there has ever been a console launch that a large group of nincompoops didn't hurl the "no games" argument at. Nintendo's launch lineup is amazing compared to PS3 and Xbox 360. I mean it is difficult to complete with systems that launched with such flagship and memorable titles like Kameo, Perfect Dark Zero, Call of Duty 3, and the one decent title, Resistance. People are so quick to forget.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_launch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_launch
#47CyhortI82Posted 1/21/2013 8:47:07 AM
As much as I hate Nintendo and wish this was true, this is the same site than ran an article saying the PS3 sucked because you needed to throw your controller away and buy a new one when the battery ran out, so I'm just gonna go ahead and not take it seriously.
---
TheTygerfire is the love of my life.
I believe in the Straight Edge Savior and the Mizziah I love DLC :)
#48ArmorWolf01Posted 1/21/2013 8:50:01 AM
It just came out in November. Give it some time, next month it picks up steam.
---
"When a man talks dirty to a woman its sexual harassment but when a woman talks dirty to a man its $4.95 a minute."
#49lt519Posted 1/21/2013 8:52:37 AM
AhnoldDood posted...
ChaoticOne327 posted...
They launched with virtually no games.

NSMBU, Nintendo Land, ZombiU... did they suddenly stop existing?

Those are not system sellers. NSMBU might be for Nintendo fans, but no one is going to buy the system for just NSMBU.

Nintendo Land is a sub-par game with only one or two decent highlights (Mario Chase and Luigi's Mansion), it is far from a system seller.

ZombiU is just average. If you are going to launch with a niche Genre (survival horror) it needs to be of RE4 caliber to sell the system to people. Even dedicated survival horror fans won't buy the system just for ZombiU.

Face the facts. I love my Wii U and I fall into the first group for NSMBU and have played Mario Chase to death, but these aren't things that will make someone buy a system.
#50SixSixSevenEighPosted 1/21/2013 8:54:39 AM
P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N posted...
*Nintendo launches console with over 20 titles*

"It has no gaems! derp!"

*PS Vita launches with over 25 titles*

"It has no gaems! derp!"

You Nintendrones have some really awful logic.
---
"If you're going to kick authority in the teeth, you might as well use two feet"
PSN: liam6678