Xenoblade Chronicles - Wii U Upscaling questions.

#11PlaysaverPosted 1/21/2013 9:44:30 AM
I've heard, I can't place the rumor to any source, that the Wii U is only rendering Wii games to 480i (interlaced) internaly before upscaling to what ever resolution you might be using. Is there any truth to that? I'm not sure, if that's true, that I like that idea when a lot of wii games supported 480p.
#12guttertalkPosted 1/21/2013 9:47:40 AM
I've played both _Xenoblade_ and _Last Story_ on both the Wii and Wii U. The short of it is that there's no great noticeable difference. The textures are what they are, so all you're getting is some possible better resolution. IMO, this is not why you play these games on the Wii U.

Play them on the Wii U if you didn't get a Wii or for some other convenience reason. In my case, my Wii is connected to a smaller tv, and it was too hard to read the text for me. Plus, I synced my wii remote to the Wii and, even if it's just a second, I didn't want to re-sync with the Wii. Lazy, I know.
#13Jimdb(Topic Creator)Posted 1/21/2013 10:49:12 AM(edited)
I know textures will be the same, but does the game look crisper, meaning, does the resolution upscaling benefit the sharpness of the image that is being outputted? or does the game still have the blurryness I saw when playing a wii?

I don't want the game to look HD, I just want it to look crisper, I don't want better texture quality and such, I know that is impossible with upscaling, I just wated to be less blurry.

---
You want bugs go play Lost Planet. This is war boy, no bugs or liberals allowed.
-Nick_GF
#14robinhoekPosted 1/21/2013 10:49:07 AM
If it does look better then I wouldn't call it a big selling point because you won't be able to tell.
#15NyyarkPosted 1/21/2013 11:06:22 AM
Depends on your TV. The Wii U has a decent upscaler, which does a better job than alot of TV's.

HDMi is identical to component when run on the Wii U, the same signal is sent over both cables. Degradation shouldn't be an issue at Wii U to TV distances, and if your environment was that bad the component with environment artifacts might be better than HDMi with snow.
#16Jimdb(Topic Creator)Posted 1/21/2013 11:10:55 AM
Nyyark posted...
Depends on your TV. The Wii U has a decent upscaler, which does a better job than alot of TV's.

HDMi is identical to component when run on the Wii U, the same signal is sent over both cables. Degradation shouldn't be an issue at Wii U to TV distances, and if your environment was that bad the component with environment artifacts might be better than HDMi with snow.

I'm going to use an HDMI cable, I used component and 480p resolution with the wii.

I'm expecting to have the same quality but more clear and crips image quality.
---
You want bugs go play Lost Planet. This is war boy, no bugs or liberals allowed.
-Nick_GF
#17NyyarkPosted 1/21/2013 11:33:44 AM
Jimdb posted...
Nyyark posted...

I'm going to use an HDMI cable, I used component and 480p resolution with the wii.

It depend on your TV. Its the exact same image upscaled. Before you sent a 480p signal to the TV, then the TV upscaled it. Now you send a 480p signal to the Wii U, the Wii U upscales it, and send it to the TV.

The source image is the same, so the only difference is how much better or worse the Wii U's scaler is than your TV's.

Example: I used a component cable with my wii/TV, now I use and HDMi cable. The picture is almost exactly the same as my TV did a great job uspscaling, but I less latency because of the Wii U.

You should set your expectations based on the lack of quality of your TV's upscaler. An upscaled image can only look so good, despite what CSI tells us.
#18Jimdb(Topic Creator)Posted 1/21/2013 11:42:24 AM
Nyyark posted...
Jimdb posted...
Nyyark posted...

It depend on your TV. Its the exact same image upscaled. Before you sent a 480p signal to the TV, then the TV upscaled it. Now you send a 480p signal to the Wii U, the Wii U upscales it, and send it to the TV.

The source image is the same, so the only difference is how much better or worse the Wii U's scaler is than your TV's.

Example: I used a component cable with my wii/TV, now I use and HDMi cable. The picture is almost exactly the same as my TV did a great job uspscaling, but I less latency because of the Wii U.

You should set your expectations based on the lack of quality of your TV's upscaler. An upscaled image can only look so good, despite what CSI tells us.

I never upscaled the video signal on my tv, it always showed 480p, unless that filling the screen is considered upscaling.
---
-Nick_GF
#19YojimboohPosted 1/21/2013 12:05:00 PM
Quote:> HDMI is infinitely superior to component. copper wires vs digital wires? Seriously?

Lol. What mysterious substance are these "digital wires" made of? (Hint: It's copper.)

@aaronkelley

they're made out of 1s and 0s!

obviously...
---
I'm the one who steps from the shadows, all trenchcoat and cigarette and arrogance, ready to deal with the madness. - John Constantine
#20NyyarkPosted 1/21/2013 12:14:24 PM
Jimdb posted...

I never upscaled the video signal on my tv, it always showed 480p, unless that filling the screen is considered upscaling.

Thats pretty much the definition of upscaling, stretching an image into a new size.