God of War vs The Legend of Zelda. What's better?

#41FabulousZeroPosted 1/22/2013 3:40:47 PM(edited)
GOW is about the closest thing to zelda on the playstation. Its definitely not the weirdest comparison. Calm down guys. Don't wet yourselves.

I won't comment on which is better because I'll just be labeled a troll.
---
It took me three playthroughs to realize Harbinger was a reaper
If you dislike FFXIII, you're an idiot.
#42DTY3Posted 1/22/2013 3:40:58 PM
inb4 rasputin pisses his pants--

Rasputin77 posted...
I'll never understand the Comparison Police boner. I can compare an orange and a rock if I want to. "It's much easier to break a window with a rock, than it is with an orange." Ta-daaaa.

TC, next time, just phrase it "which do YOU LIKE better?"... people nitpick the holy hell out of posts, but spaz out when their spelling or grammar gets corrected. XD What a hoot.

Oh... and Zelda. ;)

Crap too late.
---
Metroid Zero Mission and Super Metroid are some of the finest 2D games ever made and are the best in the series.
Metroid Fusion is pretty cool I guess.
#43mjc0961Posted 1/22/2013 4:18:55 PM
STN79 posted...
Why are we even comparing the two? Totally different games.

/thread
---
"Jak and Daxter does not have a sequel so that doesn't prove anything." - DesperateMonkey
#44elsmittyPosted 1/22/2013 4:22:49 PM
zelda
---
3ds friend code - 5069-4253-9174
#45elheberPosted 1/22/2013 10:34:41 PM
FabulousZero posted...
GOW is about the closest thing to zelda on the playstation. Its definitely not the weirdest comparison.

God of War is a brawler (AKA Beat'em Up). It's in the same genre as Bayonetta, Devil May Cry, MadWorld, modern Ninja Gaiden, etc. Like the forerunners in that genre (Golden Axe, Final Fight, Battletoads, etc), you can only advance by clearing an area of relatively weak enemies, and only then letting you advance to another area where you must clear it of all enemies. Progress and gameplay is mostly linear and prevents all backtracking, ending the stage with a boss battle.

Often, the barriers that prevent you from getting to the next area before clearing all enemies tend to be abstract and without explanation, such as magic barriers (or magically unlocking doors); otherwise it would be a nightmare to have to explain why you can't progress past an area without clearing all enemies for every encounter.

Combat mechanics in brawlers tends to be pretty deep (more so in Japanese brawlers than Western brawlers). Most other gameplay mechanics, such as puzzle, platforming, or RPG elements, tend to be relatively shallow in comparison.

Zelda games are action-adventure. It's the same genre as Darksiders, Okami, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Metroid, and some Castlevania games (the "Metroidvania" ones). Action-Adventure games usually feature a semi-open world with freely explorable areas. Unlike RPGs in which the inaccessible areas are opened by story checkpoints, action-adventure games instead require the player to find and use special items/weapons/abilities to access new areas. These special items are both used to unlock new areas and in regular gameplay (combat, puzzle solving, platforming). The Hookshot in Zelda, the Explosive Gel in Batman, the Morph Ball in Metroid, etc. Backtracking is not only allowed, but often required. Even though there are often areas that require you to clear it of enemies before you can advance to the next area/room, action-adventure is still far removed from brawlers.

GoW isn't among the closest games on the PlayStation to compare against Zelda. Darksiders is waaaaaay closer. Even Batman would have been a much better comparison.
---
"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."
| 3DS: Ulysses | PSN: Riot_Guy |
#46NewbiusPosted 1/22/2013 10:37:33 PM
zaakro posted...
You can't compare them.
#47GiygasminionPosted 1/22/2013 10:39:13 PM
God of War is probably the weakest of Sony's exclusives, in my opinion. Zelda, on the other hand, may be Nintendo's strongest.

No contest, really.
---
NN ID: Achilles11
http://backloggery.com/schamman89
#48ADHDguitarPosted 1/22/2013 10:45:17 PM
elheber posted...
FabulousZero posted...
GOW is about the closest thing to zelda on the playstation. Its definitely not the weirdest comparison.

God of War is a brawler (AKA Beat'em Up). It's in the same genre as Bayonetta, Devil May Cry, MadWorld, modern Ninja Gaiden, etc. Like the forerunners in that genre (Golden Axe, Final Fight, Battletoads, etc), you can only advance by clearing an area of relatively weak enemies, and only then letting you advance to another area where you must clear it of all enemies. Progress and gameplay is mostly linear and prevents all backtracking, ending the stage with a boss battle.

Often, the barriers that prevent you from getting to the next area before clearing all enemies tend to be abstract and without explanation, such as magic barriers (or magically unlocking doors); otherwise it would be a nightmare to have to explain why you can't progress past an area without clearing all enemies for every encounter.

Combat mechanics in brawlers tends to be pretty deep (more so in Japanese brawlers than Western brawlers). Most other gameplay mechanics, such as puzzle, platforming, or RPG elements, tend to be relatively shallow in comparison.

Zelda games are action-adventure. It's the same genre as Darksiders, Okami, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Metroid, and some Castlevania games (the "Metroidvania" ones). Action-Adventure games usually feature a semi-open world with freely explorable areas. Unlike RPGs in which the inaccessible areas are opened by story checkpoints, action-adventure games instead require the player to find and use special items/weapons/abilities to access new areas. These special items are both used to unlock new areas and in regular gameplay (combat, puzzle solving, platforming). The Hookshot in Zelda, the Explosive Gel in Batman, the Morph Ball in Metroid, etc. Backtracking is not only allowed, but often required. Even though there are often areas that require you to clear it of enemies before you can advance to the next area/room, action-adventure is still far removed from brawlers.

GoW isn't among the closest games on the PlayStation to compare against Zelda. Darksiders is waaaaaay closer. Even Batman would have been a much better comparison.

.... YOU ACTUALLY GET IT. :'D
---
Still waiting for Diddy Kong Racing 2
#49ManuKesnaPosted 1/22/2013 10:47:54 PM(edited)
god of war is better
---
PSN: Manu-Kesna
GT: ManuKesna
#50Godstriker8Posted 1/22/2013 10:58:34 PM
The first two god of War games were amazing, and felt like a lot of attention and love went into creating that game. The newer ones are still good, but not the masterpieces the first two were. Overall I prefer GOW, but Zelda is more influential.
---
I'm just dickin aroouunnnd
SHAKE AND BAKE!