Is Zelda:SS really that terrible, or is it an over-exaggeration?

#121FenderMasterPosted 1/22/2013 4:22:14 PM
SquallAlmasy posted...
FenderMaster posted...
40Dribylf posted...
You know, I didn't have any problems with the controls, but the fact that a recalibrate button exists proves that motion control gaming is a long way from viable.

This is true. The fact that there's a dedicated button for recalibrating the gyro aiming on the fly proves that there is an issue.

Broken aiming controls with a patch to fix them everytime they stop doing what they're supposed to, which is quite often.

99% of the time the controls do what they are supposed to do. The problem is that a lot of people don't understand why the aim goes "off centre" and thus think there is something wrong with the controls. The game does the same as d-pad down when you take an item out. So if you take an item out,while the remote is pointing down, you center aim will be pointing down.

This has in my opinion to advantages:

1) The camera doesn't start to spin when you, for example, take out you bow while not pointing at the screen.
2) There isn't a set point where you need to aim the remote so it's easier to play in different positions,for example, playing while lying down.

So I think the fault isn't the controls, but the instructions given by the game.

Yeah Nintendo should have explained better. But at the end of the day, the controls recalibrating in game, possibly in a tense boss battle, every time you take out the bow or hookshot, is a controls issue, and again a patch job solution to a hardware problem. Any game that forces you to frequently recalibrate the controls in game, knowingly or otherwise, has control issues. The solution is workable 95% of the time, but it's evidence of an issue that lets a good game down a little.
---
http://www.jvp-boston.org/images/map_pal_lg.jpg
#1223rdTimesDeCharmPosted 1/22/2013 4:30:55 PM
For me the problem is I expect more from the legend of zelda franchise and skyward sword felt dull, the controls were of no issue to me I played twilight princess on wii and skyward sword has better controls then that whilst being inferior as a whole.
---
When a flag blows in the wind, is it the flag that moves? Or the wind?
It's neither, kid. What moves... is your heart.
#123LindyXMJHPosted 1/22/2013 4:31:16 PM
The_Shadow_Link posted...

- Likewise re-using bosses sucks to. Fight Girahim 3 times, fight The Imprisoned 3 times. I know they become harder but facing the same enemies again is just tedious and boring. You also have to face the Scorpion Boss twice as well. Second time being reduced to a Mini Boss.

Every Zelda game reuses it's bosses as mini bosses or has you face them again in some way.
#124MinamoPosted 1/22/2013 4:37:57 PM
It's a good game buried under motion controls. Don't get me wrong, they function better than most games and, at first, they are fun. But they are just too slow, and it drags the game down the longer you play. There is also more uninteresting backtracking than usual to Zelda games. If you didn't like Majora's Mask because the time system made you feel rushed, you'll love Skyward Sword, because the game expects you to take an hour to do anything because of the motion controls.

If it had optional regular controls and faster pace, I'd easily place it above Twilight Princess, but alas, it does not. Even though the GCN version of TP was superior to Wii, I'd still say at the motion controls of the Wii TP, however inaccurate and tacked on, made the game faster than SS, which, in my opinion, makes it the better game.

tl;dr
Motion controls made SS feel slow and plodding.
#125x2link777Posted 1/22/2013 4:41:52 PM
40Dribylf posted...
Fixed

People hated the hell out of Majora's Mask, now it's loved.
Then, they hated Wind Waker, that's loved now, too.
Then, it became Twilight Princess' turn to be hated, then loved.
And now, it's Skyward Sword's turn to be vilified.

I guaran-damn-tee that the next Zelda game will take all of Skyward's hate, and Skyward will then be loved.

Will you people please stop with this bull****

You have absolutely no proof that any of that crap was and is the case.

And Twilight Princess is not "loved", get the hell out of here (although I love it, and always have)

Now youve just devolved into trolling. Constantly repeating the same thing and calling people liars and trying to downplay a legitimate issue with gaming in general, but especially of the Zelda fanbase. As for the Zelda cycle, myself and many people here and on other sites over the years have witnessed it, over the years.Granted, its not exclusive to Zelda, but it DOES affect it amongst the hardest.

On topic, as someone who has been around since the beginning, with the US release of the original on NES, SS is one of my favorites in the series. What I find funny is some of the "major issues" (like the back-tracking over a few areas) people have with it, are things other series (Metroid for instance) are praised for. And as for the controls, no, theres no issue with the game as far as controls go(although the swimming controls do come close) and if you have any problem with them, its either your own faulty hardware, or user-malfunction.. I've played through the game twice so far, working on #3, an have had not one instance where I've been hampered by the controls, and I admittedly hated the motion control idea(still do tbh).
---
I am the most fiendish terror that flaps in the darkest night. I am the skunk that pollutes your air. I am Negaduck!!
#126MinamoPosted 1/22/2013 4:42:16 PM
LindyXMJH posted...
The_Shadow_Link posted...

- Likewise re-using bosses sucks to. Fight Girahim 3 times, fight The Imprisoned 3 times. I know they become harder but facing the same enemies again is just tedious and boring. You also have to face the Scorpion Boss twice as well. Second time being reduced to a Mini Boss.

Every Zelda game reuses it's bosses as mini bosses or has you face them again in some way.

I never remember fighting any boss in OoT or MM twice in different scenarios, unless you count mini-bosses like Lizalfos and Iron Knuckle, which destroys your argument anyway. Its been a while since I've played MM, but I don't remember it having a boss rush near the end.
#127Hudsucker20XXPosted 1/22/2013 4:47:07 PM
FenderMaster posted...
40Dribylf posted...
You know, I didn't have any problems with the controls, but the fact that a recalibrate button exists proves that motion control gaming is a long way from viable.

This is true. The fact that there's a dedicated button for recalibrating the gyro aiming on the fly proves that there is an issue.

Broken aiming controls with a patch to fix them everytime they stop doing what they're supposed to, which is quite often.

The recalibrate button is there so you are able to play comfortably, shift yourself around on the couch, and not have to point at the screen the whole time. They could have used forced pointer controls but this alternative provides a more comfortable experience.

Perfect, no. Issues, maybe. But it's a good system for bridging the gap between gestural controls and couch-potato gaming.
---
"Grumble grumble..." (level 7)
#128GuyverAssasinPosted 1/22/2013 4:48:43 PM
Are we seriously playing the same game here? Who the **** thought the motion controls, ESPECIALLY the swimming and flying would not wear out their welcome after a few hours in a 40+ hour fetch questathon. I gave up on this game after having to find and swim to 30+ melodies to a damn song that cudda been given to me complete, just to extend the length of the game. Remove the fanboy goggles please, this game is trash. Instead of forcing motion controls up our ass, ninty needs to give OPTIONS. Yanno, use what is the most comfortable, can't do that without options. In b4sonymicrosoft troll. I have all current gen systems, DS, vita, psp. No 3ds. Im a video game fanboi.
---
"This is not an FPS, please don't teabag my dead corpse after you win, Thank you"-MvC3 random after getting scraped by me.
#129DifferentialEquationPosted 1/22/2013 4:53:43 PM
GuyverAssasin posted...
Are we seriously playing the same game here? Who the **** thought the motion controls, ESPECIALLY the swimming and flying would not wear out their welcome after a few hours in a 40+ hour fetch questathon. I gave up on this game after having to find and swim to 30+ melodies to a damn song that cudda been given to me complete, just to extend the length of the game. Remove the fanboy goggles please, this game is trash. Instead of forcing motion controls up our ass, ninty needs to give OPTIONS. Yanno, use what is the most comfortable, can't do that without options. In b4sonymicrosoft troll. I have all current gen systems, DS, vita, psp. No 3ds. Im a video game fanboi.

Agreed. And I don't hate motion controls, but they just need to stay where they belong (games like Wiisports and Wario Wario).
---
I want to move to a nice, quaint house in the suburbs with the T-Mobile girl and make lots of babies with her.
#130FenderMasterPosted 1/22/2013 4:54:10 PM
Hudsucker20XX posted...
FenderMaster posted...
40Dribylf posted...

The recalibrate button is there so you are able to play comfortably, shift yourself around on the couch, and not have to point at the screen the whole time. They could have used forced pointer controls but this alternative provides a more comfortable experience.

Perfect, no. Issues, maybe. But it's a good system for bridging the gap between gestural controls and couch-potato gaming.

I'll give you that. It does make playing on the couch more comfortable yeah, and it also creates occasional major issues, but is mostly and easily forgotten minor annoyance.
---
http://www.jvp-boston.org/images/map_pal_lg.jpg