Is Zelda:SS really that terrible, or is it an over-exaggeration?

#131GEKGanonPosted 1/22/2013 5:54:13 PM
What I find funny is some of the "major issues" (like the back-tracking over a few areas) people have with it, are things other series (Metroid for instance) are praised for.

Metroid has never been praised for backtracking. Even so, backtracking in the Metroid series is usually a pretty swift endeavor. In Skyward Sword, it was just painfully tedious. Maybe it wasn't even that much worse than backtracking in other games, maybe it just stood out because when you explore elsewhere in the game, there is NOTHING TO DO.

And as for the controls, no, theres no issue with the game as far as controls go(although the swimming controls do come close) and if you have any problem with them, its either your own faulty hardware, or user-malfunction.. I've played through the game twice so far, working on #3, an have had not one instance where I've been hampered by the controls, and I admittedly hated the motion control idea(still do tbh).

I'm not an idiot, I know how to use a controller. I think most everyone else here is probably the same. And in my experience, the game frequently (and irksomely) misread the movement of the controller. Stabbing the controller forward made Link swing time and time again, and it should honest to god not be that damned hard to thrust to kill a Skulltula.
---
Steam Name: gekganon
#132Storm_WalkerPosted 1/22/2013 5:56:29 PM
Marioguy5 posted...
It's really quite excellent. People just hate Fi (I'm in the same boat), so they automatically make it out to be the worst game ever made.

Some in that boat are probably ticked off that Fi isn't Midna. Due to continuity issues, Midna in LoZ: SS would be IMPOSSIBLE.

My only issue with this game is the same one I have for most Wii games: I'm reluctant to play a game that might give me carpal tunnel syndrome.
---
"I'm feelin' peachy keen, so f%@& you, and thanks for asking ^/.^"
#133x2link777Posted 1/22/2013 6:03:10 PM
GEKGanon posted...
What I find funny is some of the "major issues" (like the back-tracking over a few areas) people have with it, are things other series (Metroid for instance) are praised for.

Metroid has never been praised for backtracking. Even so, backtracking in the Metroid series is usually a pretty swift endeavor. In Skyward Sword, it was just painfully tedious. Maybe it wasn't even that much worse than backtracking in other games, maybe it just stood out because when you explore elsewhere in the game, there is NOTHING TO DO.

Wasnt anymore tedious then anything in any Metroid, and lol at Metroid not being praised for its back-trackin-I mean "exploration".

GEKGanon posted...

I'm not an idiot, I know how to use a controller. I think most everyone else here is probably the same. And in my experience, the game frequently (and irksomely) misread the movement of the controller. Stabbing the controller forward made Link swing time and time again, and it should honest to god not be that damned hard to thrust to kill a Skulltula.

Then you were either screwing up, or have a faulty controller/outside wireless interference. I too, know how to use a controller. As do many others here who've said the same. Not one issue with the controls. NOT. A SINGLE. ONE. So either I and those like me got some super special perfect copies, or the minority of you having/had issues are at fault in some way.
---
I am the most fiendish terror that flaps in the darkest night. I am the skunk that pollutes your air. I am Negaduck!!
#134HungryDogPosted 1/22/2013 6:04:11 PM
I vastly preferred Wind Waker more than this and TP...........
---
http://gavade.deviantart.com/
#135Shin_GallonPosted 1/22/2013 6:09:47 PM
It's ruined by the motion controls. If I could play it with a non-stupid control scheme like the Classic Controller it'd be awesome. As it is, it's my least favorite main-series Zelda game.
#136GEKGanonPosted 1/22/2013 6:21:32 PM
Alright xLink, whatever you say. The game had issues, people are voicing them in this thread, and most people are in agreement as to what those issues are. But you just go ahead and keep insisting the game was perfect.
---
Steam Name: gekganon
#137x2link777Posted 1/22/2013 6:31:26 PM
GEKGanon posted...
Alright xLink, whatever you say. The game had issues, people are voicing them in this thread, and most people are in agreement as to what those issues are. But you just go ahead and keep insisting the game was perfect.

Talk about grasping at straws. Tell, me, where did I say it was perfect? That's right, I didn't. I just said some of the major issues are lol-worthy, as they are, and spoke the truth, that the controls are fine. ITs people like you at issue with them, not the other way around.
---
I am the most fiendish terror that flaps in the darkest night. I am the skunk that pollutes your air. I am Negaduck!!
#138SwinubToupeePosted 1/22/2013 6:38:34 PM
The motion controls are ok. They could be better but they are not the worst motion controls you'll find on the Wii. People do expect Zelda to offer the best of the best so it is a bitter pill to swallow when a feature is only "good enough."

I liked the game but I still wasn't sold on the motion controls in the end. The fundamental problem, which has existed since everybody saw the first Wiimote and compared it to a lightsaber, is that video game characters stop swinging when they hit an object while your arm continues unimpeded through the air in your living room. No way around that. It breaks the 1:1 relationship because there's no resistance on your side of it.

Worse, not only are my arm and the character's not really in sync, but the character's abilities are limited by the realities of human muscle. In Wind Waker Link has a move where he rolls around behind an enemy and slashes the belts holding their armor together to make them vulnerable. That doesn't translate to motion controls so SS Link keeps it simple. He has to be human rather than super-human because his body has to move analogous to yours. He seems weaker than his predecessors as a result.

And yeah, Fi is not great. It doesn't help that Midna is by far the best "fairy buddy" as she has actual character development and personality. Hard act to follow and Fi doesn't even try.

Skyward Sword is still a good game, though.
---
Doctor Shantotto Supporter
#139NowujaloPosted 1/22/2013 6:39:17 PM
Ambassador_Kong posted...
Awesomely Awesome AJ posted...
The_Hyphenator posted...
40Dribylf posted...
It's a huge exaggeration. It's all part of the Zelda cycle; the new Zelda is always the worst one ever, until the next one is announced, and at that point it becomes a beloved classic. For examples, see Majora's Mask through Twilight Princess.

This is such a cop-out answer. I loved Majora's Mask (my favorite game period), The Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess (The GCN version) when they were first released, hell I was the one of the many that defended those games on message boards.

The doesn't excuse SS of its many, many flaws.

Anyway TC, just buy it. My complaints are based off the very poor design choices. The controls are great, don't worry about those.

It's not a cop-out, it's the truth. When Majora's Mask came out, people wouldn't stop whining about how Ocarina of Time was better and how they hated the time mechanic. Then, Wind Waker was announced, people started complaining about the cell shading art style, and Majora's Mask was sacrosanct. Then Twilight Princess came out, people complained about it, and Wind Waker was suddenly a visionary classic with brilliant art design instead of "kiddy-looking." Then Skyward Sword came out, and people suddenly loved Twilight Princess.

It's a very obvious pattern. Zelda fans complain about each new installment in the series until the next one comes out, and then suddenly the previously-reviled game is a cherished classic. Mark my words, when Zelda U comes out, people are going to be going on and on about how Skyward Sword was a much better game.

Skyward Sword - People were complaining that Zelda games were getting stale so we get something that really changed things up AND gave us a definitive beginning of the timeline. Since people whined about Twilight Princess not being unique enough we got a merger of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess in terms of graphical styles and yet people STILL complained. Since they whined about not having sailing, we got islands back and then they whined about that.

What? Exactly how is SS unique? I keep hearing everyone say it's completely different from the other Zelda games. I just don't see it that way. My biggest problem with SS other than the broken controls, dull fetch quests, unskippale dialogue, boring overworld, paltry number of dungeons, and uninteresting villain was the fact that Skyward Sword didn't get far enough away from the Zelda formula. How exactly is this Zelda different than any of the others?

Same thing happened with Pokemon Black and White. Everyone talked about how it was an evolution to the franchise and it changed the formula. No it didn't. They might have added a little more story, but they certainly didn't stray far from the formula.

Xenoblade Chronicles, Dragon's Dogma, and The Last Story were all much better (and more interesting) games than SS could ever hope to be.

*High-Fives Ambassador Kong*'
---
I was forced to take out a mortgage on a house and the only job i could get was from the guy who "sold" me the house.
FREAKING ANIMAL CROSSING!
#140Argh4430Posted 1/22/2013 6:50:54 PM
I'm playing through the game right now and roughly 1/3 of the way in. The game is good, but not great. I have some issues with the motion controls when I have a small window of opportunity to do something. The first boss was hard, not because I didn't know what to do, but because I struggled with the controls to beat him down. Overworld felt empty again, like in WW, with not much to see while flying. I have no issue flying in the game, or aiming things. Fights felt involving again, they reminded me of Zelda 2, but in 3D. Better than OoT, where you didn't have to plan how to attack, you just timed your attack (or spam it). Unfortunately, I haven't fully adjusted to the motion controls yet, so it can be frustrating to fight, like I said before. Graphics, music, characters, everything else feels great so far. I even tolerate Fi.
---
NNID: Snyder78
3DS FC: 3695-1354-4936