Is Zelda:SS really that terrible, or is it an over-exaggeration?

#151CalatiaPosted 1/22/2013 8:51:38 PM
In my opinion, it is not an exaggeration. This game has destroyed my interest in the series. It is such a bad game for a number of reasons, though to go in to why would require pages of analysis just to explain. I know egoraptor is working on a video that will touch on why Skyward Sword is so terrible.

It's not just the controls either, though I am certainly not a fan of them. At least some people enjoy the game, but to call it the best in the series is just an insult to all of the truly great games in the series that have come before.
#152darkqueenhelbaPosted 1/22/2013 8:55:23 PM
Depends where you get your information. Why not just play it yourself and be your own judge? Instead of asking others to form an opinion for you.
---
My response to trolls; GET A JOB!!!
#153monsterlord-18Posted 1/22/2013 9:20:59 PM
over-exaggeration. it's not bad. just all the hunting for items to upgrade items and visiting the same areas over and over and over.
#154aLeXOaDgPosted 1/22/2013 9:28:33 PM
I have the game. It´s very addictive and the story is great. The controls are good but sometimes I get pissed with the game not responding as I want. In the part where you are in the ship there´s a door which you have to hit in a specific sequence to open it. The next 10 minutes, I was there groaning because the control wasn´t doing the slash I wanted and the door would not open. Aside from that, one of the best Zelda games I have played. I like the art style and the story of TP, but the grand prize is for WW for me.
#155New LinkPosted 1/22/2013 9:36:05 PM
It's a total over-exaggeration. I really did like the game, but it did have some faults (as does every Zelda game.) It was a bit too linear, I felt that the ground-world should have been interconnected, and the sky was a bit too empty. The motion controls were absolutely fine, anyone who had issues with them either did not understand the centring mechanism (when you pull out an item it centres, and you can centre at any time by pushing the d-pad down) or had broken arms.
---
-SNES- Hasta Pasta!
Sieh nur wie ich laufen kann... Mich fängst du nicht, ich bin der Lebkuchenmann!
#156LunarRoarPosted 1/22/2013 9:38:06 PM(edited)
Over exaggeration, every new Zelda game always gets the shaft by the most vocal section of the fanbase at large. It usually takes a new Zelda game to come out for the previous game to be redeemed in the eyes of the fans, which is of course, lunacy.
---
http://backloggery.com/main.php?user=lunarroar
Official Abra of the Pokemon X/Y Boards
#157DagorhaPosted 1/22/2013 9:40:24 PM
It's a solid 7/10 or 6/10.

slightly better then average but nothing outstanding
---
You don't get a gold star for being less bloody stupid than another bloody stupid person when you are still demonstrably bloody stupid. -the final bahamut
#158game freakozoidPosted 1/22/2013 9:48:41 PM
It's easily and without contest the worst of the 3D Zelda games. For a myriad of reasons (terrible controls, overuse of those controls, Fi, boring exploration, annoying filler, the game retelling you about every item each time you play the game, some boring dungeons, reused bosses, only one good song, etc) it is the one Zelda game I just can't see myself every playing again.
#15940DribylfPosted 1/22/2013 9:50:22 PM
x2link777 posted...
Now youve just devolved into trolling. Constantly repeating the same thing and calling people liars and trying to downplay a legitimate issue with gaming in general, but especially of the Zelda fanbase. As for the Zelda cycle, myself and many people here and on other sites over the years have witnessed it, over the years.Granted, its not exclusive to Zelda, but it DOES affect it amongst the hardest.

On topic, as someone who has been around since the beginning, with the US release of the original on NES, SS is one of my favorites in the series. What I find funny is some of the "major issues" (like the back-tracking over a few areas) people have with it, are things other series (Metroid for instance) are praised for. And as for the controls, no, theres no issue with the game as far as controls go(although the swimming controls do come close) and if you have any problem with them, its either your own faulty hardware, or user-malfunction.. I've played through the game twice so far, working on #3, an have had not one instance where I've been hampered by the controls, and I admittedly hated the motion control idea(still do tbh).

"Legitimate issues in gaming"? You are a complete joke. Sexism and poor work conditions are legitimate issues in the game industry. Made-up strawman arguments that is on made on messages boards aren't.

The "Zelda cycle" doesn't exist, because more than half of this topic is people defending and praising this game, as every other topic about it. There are many fans that dislike previous 3D Zeldas, so your entire argument is thrown out the goddamn window. The fact you're even bringing up this supposed cycle is contradictory in of itself. Seriously, accusing me of trolling? lmao.

Metroid isn't praised for it's backtracking, and again, you have absolute no proof that that is the case. Metroid's backtracking is its biggest criticism, what in the hell are you talking about? And SS is a much worse with it, where with Metroid, you're backtracking minutes at a time, you actually spend hours and hours going back to these three bland, generic areas.

People have legitimate issues with the game, and it comes down to game design choices amd pet peeves. Some don't mind them (you), some people HATE them (me). I'm saying is this bull**** "Zelda Cycle" does not exist, and it's disrespectful to dismiss someone's opinion throwing out that strawman.

And I didn't have problems with the controls, I loved them actually. One of the few positives with the game.
---
I am hip
http://www.last.fm/user/KDay1990
#160Reginleif20Posted 1/22/2013 10:00:14 PM
DiscostewSM posted...
I'd really like an honest non-biased answer to this, because I've been thinking of getting it to get an extra fill of Zelda-like games (I do have DS 2, but I'd like another game of that style when I get done with that). Already have Zelda:TP.

From what I hear, it mainly revolves around the motion controls. In what way is it bad? Is it tedious? Overused? Is there anything else in the game worth mentioning to potential buyers?

I'm not expecting a 10/10 game, as many great games even come from 7/10 ratings.

I'd say it's an 8.5. Go play it
---
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it