Is Zelda:SS really that terrible, or is it an over-exaggeration?

#21DDDDrovaPosted 1/22/2013 12:28:54 PM
I really like it
but it shook up the zelda formula in many places that didnt click with a number of fans
basically its a game you need to play for yourself to have an opinion
#22kissdadookiePosted 1/22/2013 12:32:33 PM
DDDDrova posted...
I really like it
but it shook up the zelda formula in many places that didnt click with a number of fans
basically its a game you need to play for yourself to have an opinion

I don't feel that it shook up the Zelda formula at all. That was the problem, it was essentially the same formula not just conceptually but gameplay-wise really. It tried really hard to give the ILLUSION of being an open world game but it was very obvious that the game was strictly linear. It also didn't handle side quests all that well yet it contained so so so so so many side quests (which were mostly boring and repetitive). That's really the problem with Skyward Sword, it contained a lot of fluff that was unnecessary to give the illusion of a game that was much larger in scale, thus diluting the core of the game.
#23The_HyphenatorPosted 1/22/2013 12:33:00 PM
40Dribylf posted...
It's a huge exaggeration. It's all part of the Zelda cycle; the new Zelda is always the worst one ever, until the next one is announced, and at that point it becomes a beloved classic. For examples, see Majora's Mask through Twilight Princess.

This is such a cop-out answer. I loved Majora's Mask (my favorite game period), The Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess (The GCN version) when they were first released, hell I was the one of the many that defended those games on message boards.

The doesn't excuse SS of its many, many flaws.

Anyway TC, just buy it. My complaints are based off the very poor design choices. The controls are great, don't worry about those.

It's not a cop-out, it's the truth. When Majora's Mask came out, people wouldn't stop whining about how Ocarina of Time was better and how they hated the time mechanic. Then, Wind Waker was announced, people started complaining about the cell shading art style, and Majora's Mask was sacrosanct. Then Twilight Princess came out, people complained about it, and Wind Waker was suddenly a visionary classic with brilliant art design instead of "kiddy-looking." Then Skyward Sword came out, and people suddenly loved Twilight Princess.

It's a very obvious pattern. Zelda fans complain about each new installment in the series until the next one comes out, and then suddenly the previously-reviled game is a cherished classic. Mark my words, when Zelda U comes out, people are going to be going on and on about how Skyward Sword was a much better game.
#24PsyrenCallPosted 1/22/2013 12:34:19 PM
It's a great game, the complaints stem from the usual Zelda fan cycle of hate and a few design issues. You back track a little too much, travel is slow and inconvenient, and while the core motion controls are great, they used motion controls for far too many things. In most cases the stick would have worked better, it's overkill. That said it's still a great game, and a step in the right direction in terms of narrative, level design, audio and gameplay. It makes a good stop gap between TP and whatever comes next, if they continue advancing the series design.
---
In fearful day, in raging night, with strong hearts full, our souls ignite! When all seems lost in the War of Light, look to the stars, for hope burns bright!
#25hawkeye 41Posted 1/22/2013 12:34:54 PM
I really wanted to like the game, but I honestly could not use the controls. It wasn't even a matter of not liking the controls for me, I could not play the game because the controls just wouldn't work for me. I tried different controllers and everything. In the end I just gave up on the game.

I suggest renting it first. If you can use the controls you will probably love the game.
---
Welcome to The Wonderful World of Hawkeye41's Grammar!
Wii FC: 4505 7266 2287 1223
#2640DribylfPosted 1/22/2013 12:37:44 PM
It's not a cop-out, it's the truth. When Majora's Mask came out, people wouldn't stop whining about how Ocarina of Time was better and how they hated the time mechanic. Then, Wind Waker was announced, people started complaining about the cell shading art style, and Majora's Mask was sacrosanct. Then Twilight Princess came out, people complained about it, and Wind Waker was suddenly a visionary classic with brilliant art design instead of "kiddy-looking." Then Skyward Sword came out, and people suddenly loved Twilight Princess.

It is a cop-out answer because you have absolutely no proof that that was the case. There are still many people that dislike Majora's Mask and many people that dislike The Wind Waker and a TON that still dislike Twilight Princess. Those people still exist, they didn't go away. Believe me, as a person that frequents Zelda forums, they did not go away. Those OoT fanboys are still running rampant.

It's a very obvious pattern. Zelda fans complain about each new installment in the series until the next one comes out, and then suddenly the previously-reviled game is a cherished classic. Mark my words, when Zelda U comes out, people are going to be going on and on about how Skyward Sword was a much better game.

There is no pattern, let alone an obvious one.

And I'll still feel the same way about Skyward Sword, believe you me.
---
I am hip
http://www.last.fm/user/KDay1990
#27DifferentialEquationPosted 1/22/2013 12:37:53 PM
The_Hyphenator posted...
40Dribylf posted...
It's a huge exaggeration. It's all part of the Zelda cycle; the new Zelda is always the worst one ever, until the next one is announced, and at that point it becomes a beloved classic. For examples, see Majora's Mask through Twilight Princess.

This is such a cop-out answer. I loved Majora's Mask (my favorite game period), The Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess (The GCN version) when they were first released, hell I was the one of the many that defended those games on message boards.

The doesn't excuse SS of its many, many flaws.

Anyway TC, just buy it. My complaints are based off the very poor design choices. The controls are great, don't worry about those.

Majora's Mask is it either love it or hate it since it's so different. That's still true to this day.

People only complained about the WW graphics before the game was released. Once it was released and people actually gave it a chance it was overwhelmingly loved. They didn't all of a sudden start liking it when Twilight Princess came out.

As far as Twilight Princess goes, it's just sort of there. It's a good game, but not very memorable and most people don't seem to have strong feelings about it either way. And that hasn't changed with the release of Skyward Sword.
---
I want to move to a nice, quaint house in the suburbs with the T-Mobile girl and make lots of babies with her.
#28kissdadookiePosted 1/22/2013 12:38:02 PM
PsyrenCall posted...
It's a great game, the complaints stem from the usual Zelda fan cycle of hate and a few design issues. You back track a little too much, travel is slow and inconvenient, and while the core motion controls are great, they used motion controls for far too many things. In most cases the stick would have worked better, it's overkill. That said it's still a great game, and a step in the right direction in terms of narrative, level design, audio and gameplay. It makes a good stop gap between TP and whatever comes next, if they continue advancing the series design.

Nintendo would never use the more sensible control scheme as opposed to pushing the gimmicky one. Look at DKC Returns, your key moves like stomp requires you to shake the controller, absolutely and completely nonsensical and by far the worse control decision ever made. Same thing with NSMBU, if you use the Wiimote to play, I don't understand why they mapped the Z button to shaking the controller, totally hurts the controls IMHO.
#2940DribylfPosted 1/22/2013 12:42:05 PM
Look at DKC Returns, your key moves like stomp requires you to shake the controller, absolutely and completely nonsensical and by far the worse control decision ever made.

It's the main reason why I'm never playing the game.

I got halfway through the first level and stopped.
---
I am hip
http://www.last.fm/user/KDay1990
#30DDDDrovaPosted 1/22/2013 12:44:18 PM(edited)
DiscostewSM posted...
I'd really like an honest non-biased answer to this, because I've been thinking of getting it to get an extra fill of Zelda-like games (I do have DS 2, but I'd like another game of that style when I get done with that). Already have Zelda:TP.

From what I hear, it mainly revolves around the motion controls. In what way is it bad? Is it tedious? Overused? Is there anything else in the game worth mentioning to potential buyers?

I'm not expecting a 10/10 game, as many great games even come from 7/10 ratings.

anyway as to worth mentioning (and remember this is only my opinion)

some new weapons (the beetle which is something of a remote boomerang)
some great boss battles (along with some mediocre ones)
some great dungeon design (one has water and underworld combo kind of life and death)

some parts in between dungeon that are labeled as fetch quests can get annoying
and as someone else said its a pretty linear game
also enemies variety is a bit lacking (although one particular enemy has about fifty different ways to kill it which i found fun)