Is Zelda:SS really that terrible, or is it an over-exaggeration?

#31Banjo2553Posted 1/22/2013 12:52:25 PM(edited)
Yeah, I think it's exaggeration to an extent.

The motion controls seem to make it highly polarizing. Some can't stand it, others love it and think it works great (like myself). It does have some problems, (only three main areas, obvious filler segments, Fi being a complete annoyance, pretty linear) but it's worth a playthrough at least, like any official Zelda game.
---
Come see my game collection: http://www.backloggery.com/bakonbitz
#32kissdadookiePosted 1/22/2013 12:44:35 PM
40Dribylf posted...
Look at DKC Returns, your key moves like stomp requires you to shake the controller, absolutely and completely nonsensical and by far the worse control decision ever made.

It's the main reason why I'm never playing the game.

I got halfway through the first level and stopped.

I'm shocked that I got through half of that game. What the heck were they thinking forcing people to shake to stomp and roll and stuff? Completely asinine.
#3340DribylfPosted 1/22/2013 12:44:58 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#34ImGanondorfLolPosted 1/22/2013 12:49:26 PM
It's an over-exaggeration, but I can understand why many people would be disappointed. Some people hate the motion controls but love the other aspects of the game, some people love the motion controls but are disappointed about all the other aspects of the game. Some hate both. I personally really like the motion controls and the combat but the rest of the game disappoints me in some ways. I still think it's a great game.
#35Ambassador_KongPosted 1/22/2013 12:50:40 PM
It's the worst Zelda game ever. Terrible Controls, fetch quests, annoying sidekick, fetch quests, unskippable dialogue, fetch quests, bland overworld, fetch quests, boring villain, fetch quests, game treats you like you are stupid and points out the solution to every puzzle before you get a chance to try it, fetch quests, and did I mention fetch quests.

Bland, boring, bad.

Zelda SS really is that terrible.
---
First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win. by Mahatma Gandhi.
#36TerotrousPosted 1/22/2013 12:52:43 PM
kissdadookie posted...
I mean, we do not drag our mice around the table to imitate a golf swing or sword slash.

There totally are some games that do this.

40Dribylf posted...
It is a cop-out answer because you have absolutely no proof that that was the case. There are still many people that dislike Majora's Mask and many people that dislike The Wind Waker and a TON that still dislike Twilight Princess. Those people still exist, they didn't go away. Believe me, as a person that frequents Zelda forums, they did not go away. Those OoT fanboys are still running rampant.

Uhh, what? There's all kinds of proof that people hated Wind Waker and Twilight Princess at the time. The reveal of the cel-shaded graphics for WW was perhaps the most poorly-received reveal of all time. Twilight Princess was constantly called "a game that tries to be OoT and fails miserably" when it came out. You can check archives of message boards if you somehow don't remember any of this.

Anyway, I've also noticed that it's seemingly the case that many people totally suck at motion control. I've played a lot of games like Okami, Go Vacation, Sid Meier's Pirates, etc, where may people complain "the controls are totally unresponsive!" but in reality they work perfectly fine and are accurate 99.5% of the time at the bare minimum. Are people attempting to play these games while lying down or something?
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Die Hard"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#37Banjo2553Posted 1/22/2013 12:55:16 PM(edited)
Ambassador_Kong posted...
It's the worst Zelda game ever. Terrible Controls, fetch quests, annoying sidekick, fetch quests, unskippable dialogue, fetch quests, bland overworld, fetch quests, boring villain, fetch quests, game treats you like you are stupid and points out the solution to every puzzle before you get a chance to try it, fetch quests, and did I mention fetch quests.

Bland, boring, bad.

This is basically what I mean. The game seems incredibly polarizing, because I think the game is still good despite the flaws he mentioned. But boring villain? That can't be right. Ghirahim's one of the most unique Zelda characters out there.
---
Come see my game collection: http://www.backloggery.com/bakonbitz
#3840DribylfPosted 1/22/2013 12:57:07 PM
Uhh, what? There's all kinds of proof that people hated Wind Waker and Twilight Princess at the time. The reveal of the cel-shaded graphics for WW was perhaps the most poorly-received reveal of all time. Twilight Princess was constantly called "a game that tries to be OoT and fails miserably" when it came out. You can check archives of message boards if you somehow don't remember any of this.

No, dude, you have no proof that people hated the game suddenly flipped over and "loved" the game after the next one came out. None. At all.

Like DifferentialEquation said, a large majority of TWW hate came when it was first shown. After the release, it was mostly loved, with some haters. And guess what, there are still haters on the game.

And guess what? There are people that STILL say that about Twilight Princess! They didn't love the game after SS came out.

You have a ****ty argument.
---
I am hip
http://www.last.fm/user/KDay1990
#3940DribylfPosted 1/22/2013 12:58:42 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#40PsyrenCallPosted 1/22/2013 12:58:29 PM
Banjo2553 posted...
Ambassador_Kong posted...

Bland, boring, bad.

This is basically what I mean. The game seems incredibly polarizing, because I think the game is still good despite the flaws he mentioned. But boring villain? That can't be right. Ghirahim's one of the most unique Zelda characters out there.

He may be unique to the Zelda series, but the effeminate, noble bishounen who is actually a sociopath is one the most overused tropes in Japanese media.
---
In fearful day, in raging night, with strong hearts full, our souls ignite! When all seems lost in the War of Light, look to the stars, for hope burns bright!