Is Zelda:SS really that terrible, or is it an over-exaggeration?

#51xenoknight7Posted 1/22/2013 2:54:27 PM
I dislike the motion controls but other than that it's a good Zelda game.
#52jackorhoadsPosted 1/22/2013 2:57:56 PM
Imo its one of the best 3d zeldas. If people don't like something they automatically assume the worst. Don't worry TC I remember when windwaker first came out and everyone hated it, then twilight princess came out and windwaker was sooo much better. Its a strange hate cycle that lasts until a game or two. Positive note though that the fanbase is passionate.
---
Gamefaqs: Where 14 year olds make fun of 13 year olds for acting like 12 year olds
PSN: jacksonrr & Wiiu Nintendo Network ID: SonicKidd
#53oxnerdPosted 1/22/2013 2:58:13 PM
It was a beautiful game. Amazing music as always. The controls were very good as long as you're not a lazy ass. I loved Fi. Zelda was okay. Some parts were challenging like the boss battles for the hylian shield. The side quests were fun, the characters were funny. I hated the spirit world, my heart would seriously skip a beat in that place. The game was absolutely gorgeous, I don't mind revisiting the areas 'cause they did change for the new dungeons. The lore behind all the places is incredible, you could see all the LINKS to the other games. It deserves all the praise as it DID get from many reviews. Gamespot's review was done by a lazy ass, like I said, you can't play being lazy, the controls were just that easy. Its a worthy 3D title to the franchise if not the best so far.
#54Muljo StphoPosted 1/22/2013 2:59:49 PM
People love to exaggerate and blow even the tiniest little nitpick waaaaaaay out of proportion. They also like to pretend that this phenomenon is unique to the Zelda franchise, for some reason. People can be horrible wretches about anything though. Another common, yet blatantly wrong, assumption that some people like to make is the idea that the fanbase has a hive mind and everybody always has exactly the same opinion as everybody else on every title in the series.

Anyway, talking about SS specifically, there have been a lot of people who just didn't take a minute to step back and learn what it was that they were doing wrong. They jump in with a mistaken or just flat out wrong impression of what the controls are supposed to be like and then they blame the game for it when their attempts don't work.

I had misinterpreted what they expected of me with the flying controls at first. The way they described it in the very brief tutorial that they rush you through, I interpreted it as being a similar idea as the cape in Super Mario World or the wing cap in Super Mario 64. Dive and rise, dive and rise, dive and rise. So I was trying it like that, and of course it wasn't working out too well. Did I come onto the forums and cry about getting stuck in the clouds and OMG this is so glitchy and broken and the devs are stupid poopoo heads and whinewhinewhine? No, of course not. I kept at it, and after a few minutes I discovered the control to make the bird flap its wings (give it a good firm flick up (or in any direction, actually) and the bird will flap its wings and speed up) and I figured out what they had actually been trying to tell me in that tutorial. And the flying controls felt great after that.

Another common complaint is that you need to recalibrate constantly. While some people may experience technical issues that mean that they legitimately do need to occasionally pause the game and go through the same calibration routine as when you turn the game on, most who make this complaint are actually just talking about the quick in-game recentering of the motion aiming that you can do by pressing down on the dpad. The problem there is that people go into the aiming controls in this expecting that it function exactly the same as the IR pointer that we've gotten used to from most other Wii games. So they take an item out and then point at the screen, and then they freak out and assume that it isn't working correctly when their aim moves with this motion and they hit the recentering button to fix it. I'm aiming so surely I need to be pointing at the screen before it will start working, right? Actually, no. The way the aiming works with motion controls is that the position of the controller when the item comes out is counted as the origin point and all motions relative to that point will translate to aiming in the game. The truth is that you can aim just fine without pointing at the screen, and recentering with dpad down merely tells the game to reset the origin point to your current position.
---
"This ain't like fieldwork. You never have to notarize a man and kill him in triplicate. Well... Almost never..." - Ruby
#55LOLRIFANPosted 1/22/2013 3:02:21 PM
not terrible but iffy motion controls and an emptier over world then both ww and tp weighs it down.
---
I am a furry AND PROUD to admit it.
Also guess what I AM SMASHKING84
#56CrackRokMcCaibPosted 1/22/2013 3:08:29 PM
I think it's great. Some hiccups with the motion control, but not nearly as bad as in the Gamespot review.

I love the item upgrades and would love to see this expand more in the next title. Also, I love that I was able to spend rupees. In most games I'm maxed out on rupees and there's not much to spend them on. In this game, it was nice that I actually needed them for things.

As someone else mentioned, the only real drawback is revisiting places.
---
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
#57Paulf001Posted 1/22/2013 3:09:35 PM
Its either you like motion controls or you don't. For people who don't like motion controls the game seems like a hassle to play and the controls don't always do what you want.
#58MerisYakiPosted 1/22/2013 3:10:49 PM
It has a lot of flaws, which were already stated. Underwhelming dungeons like Sky Keep, retreading the same area three times, non-threatening Villain, etc.

Still one of the best games for 2011. Complaints are justified.
#59CrackRokMcCaibPosted 1/22/2013 3:12:34 PM
Muljo Stpho posted...
People love to exaggerate and blow even the tiniest little nitpick waaaaaaay out of proportion. They also like to pretend that this phenomenon is unique to the Zelda franchise, for some reason. People can be horrible wretches about anything though. Another common, yet blatantly wrong, assumption that some people like to make is the idea that the fanbase has a hive mind and everybody always has exactly the same opinion as everybody else on every title in the series.

Anyway, talking about SS specifically, there have been a lot of people who just didn't take a minute to step back and learn what it was that they were doing wrong. They jump in with a mistaken or just flat out wrong impression of what the controls are supposed to be like and then they blame the game for it when their attempts don't work.

I had misinterpreted what they expected of me with the flying controls at first. The way they described it in the very brief tutorial that they rush you through, I interpreted it as being a similar idea as the cape in Super Mario World or the wing cap in Super Mario 64. Dive and rise, dive and rise, dive and rise. So I was trying it like that, and of course it wasn't working out too well. Did I come onto the forums and cry about getting stuck in the clouds and OMG this is so glitchy and broken and the devs are stupid poopoo heads and whinewhinewhine? No, of course not. I kept at it, and after a few minutes I discovered the control to make the bird flap its wings (give it a good firm flick up (or in any direction, actually) and the bird will flap its wings and speed up) and I figured out what they had actually been trying to tell me in that tutorial. And the flying controls felt great after that.

Another common complaint is that you need to recalibrate constantly. While some people may experience technical issues that mean that they legitimately do need to occasionally pause the game and go through the same calibration routine as when you turn the game on, most who make this complaint are actually just talking about the quick in-game recentering of the motion aiming that you can do by pressing down on the dpad. The problem there is that people go into the aiming controls in this expecting that it function exactly the same as the IR pointer that we've gotten used to from most other Wii games. So they take an item out and then point at the screen, and then they freak out and assume that it isn't working correctly when their aim moves with this motion and they hit the recentering button to fix it. I'm aiming so surely I need to be pointing at the screen before it will start working, right? Actually, no. The way the aiming works with motion controls is that the position of the controller when the item comes out is counted as the origin point and all motions relative to that point will translate to aiming in the game. The truth is that you can aim just fine without pointing at the screen, and recentering with dpad down merely tells the game to reset the origin point to your current position.

I'm glad I read this. I wasn't going to at first, mainly because it was long. But, you're right, people freak out and blame something else because of their own ignorance of how it actually works.
---
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
#60GEKGanonPosted 1/22/2013 3:14:03 PM
It was an overall good game, but there were a lot of small issues that piled up to make it a less than stellar experience.

First and foremost, the motion controls worked most of the time, but when it didn't work, it was toothgrinding. There is nothing worse than knowing what to do, trying to do it, but having your efforts neutered by the controls.

The second issue, perhaps the most annoying, was the tedium of traversing the same areas throughout the entire game. There are 3 main areas, and you have to revisit them about 3 times each. Granted, there are new areas unlocked in each of the main 3 areas, but it still requires traversing a fair bit of land you've already experienced. It just gets old.

The third issue, someone related to the previous issue, is the game feels "artificially" lengthened. Fetch quests sending you back and forth through areas you've already travelled, and perhaps the biggest culprit, the "Goddess Cubes". These things essentially have you finding items twice. Rather than finding a chest in the forest that contains a heart, you instead find a cube in the forest that unlocks a chest in the sky that contains a heart. So you have to find the cube first, then fly to the chest later. The whole thing was a unnecessary hassle.
---
Steam Name: gekganon