Ubisoft Discusses Co-Op/Online for ZombiU 2

#21hellbringherPosted 1/22/2013 11:10:14 PM
AhnoldDood posted...
hellbringher posted...
So many trolls.

You're the only one here.

Actually I'm right here. I'm not in the computer.
---
Known trolls --- AhnoldDood * baha05 * cloudstrife630 * P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N
#22kdognumba1Posted 1/22/2013 11:12:30 PM
elheber posted...
P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N posted...
“How to bring cooperative experience and still keep fear and tension is a question we would love to address,” said Brunier, “In our most exciting dreams, we would like to create an online experience where players never quite know where they stand between co-op and player-versus-player. Doubt is a great nest for fear.”

It’s not difficult to imagine what a cooperative mode for ZombiU might be like. Part of what makes the game so frightening in the first place is how vulnerable a player is while looking at the Wii U GamePad’s screen to look through their inventory. If they had to do something more complex on the pad, like performing surgery on another player, a co-op partner could be forced to defend them from a growing zombie mob.

I disagree with that journalist. Straight-up co-op like that would not increase fear and tension. Doing surgery alone without anyone watching your back is arguably more frightening. Co-op greatly and unmistakably reduces fear in survival horror games.

I think what Ubisoft's Brunier was trying to get across was instead that uneasiness of meeting a random online player in your single-player campaign and not knowing if the game just turned into co-op or PvP. That's probably much better at raising fear and tension than straight-up co-op. You're just playing your game on a mission where you must find a pickaxe, then you seamlessly meet another player doing his own story-mode and he's luckily carrying a pickaxe... but inventory items only drop upon death. You could team up and help each other, but you don't know if you've got something he wants too.

Like Demon Souls meets DayZ basically?
---
backloggery: http://backloggery.com/kdog254 twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/kdognumba1
3DS: 1676-3698-5986 PSN: jotaroxtreme NID/XBL: kdog254 Steam: kdognumba1
#23elheberPosted 1/22/2013 11:15:25 PM
I suppose so. It would make most sense for Zombi U. Or at least more sense than basic co-op.
---
"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."
| 3DS: Ulysses | PSN: Riot_Guy |
#24kdognumba1Posted 1/22/2013 11:20:42 PM
I personally would like this kind of co-op, it would raise tension and add multiplayer without sacrificing the survival feel. Also because of how the game is set up where you basically lose everything when you die and have to find your body (or zombiefied you) and get all your old equipment, it lends itself well to this style multiplayer.
---
backloggery: http://backloggery.com/kdog254 twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/kdognumba1
3DS: 1676-3698-5986 PSN: jotaroxtreme NID/XBL: kdog254 Steam: kdognumba1
#25ZBug_Posted 1/23/2013 12:03:54 AM
hellbringher posted...
AhnoldDood posted...
hellbringher posted...
So many trolls.

That is what he said.... Your reading comprehension prowess is exceedingly low isn't it?
---
"I've never in my life wanted to punch a girl like I want to right now" Light Yagami
3DS FC 3995-6522-2067 (PM me so I can add you back)
#26hellbringherPosted 1/23/2013 12:18:23 AM
ZBug_ posted...
hellbringher posted...
AhnoldDood posted...
hellbringher posted...
So many trolls.

That is what he said.... Your reading comprehension prowess is exceedingly low isn't it?

U mad
---
#27IcecreamdunwichPosted 1/23/2013 12:39:41 AM
I still think it's funny how fantrolls and fanboys think the UPad is the only way to play the game. We have had active inventories in other games for quite some time, just look at DayZ and Dead Space for the horror oriented versions.
#28FlippinTurtlesPosted 1/23/2013 12:50:42 AM
Icecreamdunwich posted...
I still think it's funny how fantrolls and fanboys think the UPad is the only way to play the game. We have had active inventories in other games for quite some time, just look at DayZ and Dead Space for the horror oriented versions.

You just don't get it. With the Wii U GamePad™ the player is fully immersed into the experience by showing the inventory on one screen and the real time danger on the other screen. You can't concentrate on two screens at the same time (except for when it's convenient in an argument about dual-screen gaming) so it's more scarier than all on one screen.

If you don't get it, it's because you aren't physically putting the GamePad™ down on the floor/table when you manage your inventory; the way it's meant to be played. Troll.
---
Trypophobia
http://pbfcomics.com/archive_b/PBF134-Game_System.gif
#29hellbringherPosted 1/23/2013 12:56:00 AM
FlippinTurtles posted...

You just don't get it. With the Wii U GamePad™ the player is fully immersed into the experience by showing the inventory on one screen and the real time danger on the other screen. You can't concentrate on two screens at the same time (except for when it's convenient in an argument about dual-screen gaming) so it's more scarier than all on one screen.

If you don't get it, it's because you aren't physically putting the GamePad™ down on the floor/table when you manage your inventory; the way it's meant to be played. Troll.

What's next? Having to stand on your head while you play?
---
#30IcecreamdunwichPosted 1/23/2013 1:04:41 AM
FlippinTurtles posted...

What's next? Having to stand on your head while you play?

"It's immersion, guys! Not bad gameplay mechanics!"