I think they will make the game they wished for in SS with the upcoming Zelda

#1kissdadookiePosted 1/23/2013 8:38:22 AM
You can tell how they really wanted to make a open world game that they've envisioned since Ocarina of Time but due to technology constraints, were never really able to accomplish. You can see this in OoT, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, and the furthest they got thus far was Skyward Sword. I understand that a LOT of Nintendo fanboys just blindly hate on games like Skyrim and Red Dead Redemption but ultimately if you think about how Nintendo has been designing these games since the N64 days (yes, even Mario 64), you can see many seeds that they have been planting hinting at them wanting to make something like a Skyrim or Red Dead Redemption but with Nintendo style and obviously using major Nintendo properties.

So with that in mind and the recent ND announcement, I think they may finally be able to nail it with the next new Zelda game on the Wii U. This open world, non-linear structure was what they obviously wanted to imply with Skyword Sword but unfrotunately, in Skyward Sword it was just a fake openworld type window dressing as the game ultimately turned out to be standard super linear Zelda but with the addition of fluff side quests. It felt like Nintendo was being stubborn and didn't really bother to find and understand the essence of games like Skyrim or Red Dead Redemption and thus misinterpreted the open world concept to be nothing more than big world + random side quests ='s proper open world. It's like they've heard about this open world concept but then totally forgot to bother themselves with playing these games to understand them (much like how Nintendo fanboys have been brushing games like Skyrim and Red Dead Redemption off as being meh). I honestly feel that they've learned a good lesson with Skyward Sword and this time, they will finally make a proper open world Zelda.

I may be totally wrong, but just think about it, if Nintendo FINALLY had a grasp on what makes open world games great and then made one themselves, that is going to be one helluva great and epic game.
#2Banjo2553Posted 1/23/2013 8:41:42 AM
Yeah, I noticed they were quite ambitious with Skyward Sword but couldn't exactly do it due to system limitations. Being honest, SS looks and feels like it could be an epic adventure, and they tried extending the main story as far as they could. Sky travel could've been really awesome too but system limitations couldn't provide the ideas they were looking at, such as larger and more complex islands, almost dungeon-like. Here's hoping they can actually have their idea more realized.
---
Come see my game collection: http://www.backloggery.com/bakonbitz
#3kissdadookie(Topic Creator)Posted 1/23/2013 8:52:52 AM
Banjo2553 posted...
Yeah, I noticed they were quite ambitious with Skyward Sword but couldn't exactly do it due to system limitations. Being honest, SS looks and feels like it could be an epic adventure, and they tried extending the main story as far as they could. Sky travel could've been really awesome too but system limitations couldn't provide the ideas they were looking at, such as larger and more complex islands, almost dungeon-like. Here's hoping they can actually have their idea more realized.

I think with Skyward Sword, it was a combination of technical limitations and Nintendo simply not having fully understood what made games like Fallout and Skyrim great. You can tell that they probably went "if we give them the impression of a large world and put lots of side quests in there to find, that must be the formula for open world games!" That kind of made them stumble on Skyward Sword because all those side quests only served to dilute the main game.

As for the sky travel, I felt that it was done pretty well, but again, the way they did it was kind of a head scratcher. I mean, Skies of Arcadia did sky travel phenomenally well, why couldn't Skyward Sword? I do think that Nintendo MUST have learned their lesson by now, it sounded like they did on the Zelda announcement, so I'm REALLY looking forward to the new Zelda.

Someone on another thread was going "Zelda Skyrim, oh no!" Well, I think a Skyrim-like Zelda done properly by Nintendo will be incredible!