The VC fee is BS

#431metroid00700Posted 1/24/2013 8:59:33 PM(edited)
diggyfresh posted...

Name one thing Nintendo provides for free that Valve and GOG do not. I do agree with you, however, that Nintendo is CERTAINLY not the modern Valve/Sony/GOG. Nintendo's DD service is equal to other services in 2008.

What exactly is it that those companies do for free?

Cloud Saving
Compatibility Updates
First access demos/betas
Workshop integration
Online (Not pertainent to Nintendo, though)
Great sales, all the time (No membership needed)
Mobile app support
Community forums/screenshots/video
Free soundtracks/wallpapers/classic manuals/inserts downloads
Automatic Updates
Automatic syncing

There's more than that I'm sure.
---
Intel Core i7-3610QM/2 GB DDR5 NVIDIA GeForceGT/12GB DDR3 RAM
SEGA Dreamcast: THE Best Gaming System since 9/9/99
#432diggyfreshPosted 1/24/2013 8:58:35 PM
APHughes posted...
diggyfresh posted...
DemonDog666 posted...
diggyfresh posted...
I think the fee is fair. If they charged any more, like $10-20 then I'd feel ripped off. But paying a buck to transfer my VC titles is reasonable. You can't expect something for nothing. If you do, welcome to the real world.

So buying the digital copy on wii, buying a wiiU and tranfering the digital copy is now nothing.

It's nothing. And it's courtesy of Nintendo to transfer VC titles to the Wii U. They could have left that BC out entirely.

If they would have left out BC I wouldn't have bought the Wii U. I never expected it for the SNES or N64 but we are in the digital age now. Their approach to this is backwards. Imagine if all your Songs were tied to one iPod or all your movies were tied to one DVD player.

It's just an alternative way. Amazon does this with Kindles. It's one way to ensure that people stick to the terms of the license they agree to when they purchase it. I agree that it's restrictive and no fun. Taking away the ability to "own" a digital download sucks. I hate it. However, it's not backwards.
---
Currently playing: ZombiU, RE: Revelation, & Xenoblade
#433DifferentialEquationPosted 1/24/2013 9:04:44 PM
diggyfresh posted...

It's just an alternative way. Amazon does this with Kindles. It's one way to ensure that people stick to the terms of the license they agree to when they purchase it. I agree that it's restrictive and no fun. Taking away the ability to "own" a digital download sucks. I hate it. However, it's not backwards.

Can I transfer my existing Kindle content (including apps, Kindle books, and movies) from my old Kindle to a new one?

Yes, all of your past Amazon digital purchases are automatically backed up in the Amazon Cloud so you can download them to your other Kindle devices anytime.

Go to the Cloud tab on your new Kindle to view and download purchases. You can also view and download your prior purchases from Manage Your Kindle:

from http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_201022380_transfer?nodeId=201022380#transfer
---
I want to move to a nice, quaint house in the suburbs with the T-Mobile girl and make lots of babies with her.
#434diggyfreshPosted 1/24/2013 9:07:42 PM
DifferentialEquation posted...
diggyfresh posted...

Can I transfer my existing Kindle content (including apps, Kindle books, and movies) from my old Kindle to a new one?

Yes, all of your past Amazon digital purchases are automatically backed up in the Amazon Cloud so you can download them to your other Kindle devices anytime.

Go to the Cloud tab on your new Kindle to view and download purchases. You can also view and download your prior purchases from Manage Your Kindle:

from http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_201022380_transfer?nodeId=201022380#transfer

And what's your point?
---
#435DifferentialEquationPosted 1/24/2013 9:13:40 PM
diggyfresh posted...
diggyfresh posted...

And what's your point?

That you claimed that Amazon ties all your digital content to a single device when they don't.
---
I want to move to a nice, quaint house in the suburbs with the T-Mobile girl and make lots of babies with her.
#436diggyfreshPosted 1/24/2013 9:21:05 PM
diggyfresh posted...
diggyfresh posted...

And what's your point?

That you claimed that Amazon ties all your digital content to a single device when they don't.

I don't see the difference. For example, you buy a new Wii U and you can transfer VC titles from the Wii. Or, you by a new Kindle and you can transfer your digital content from the old Kindle.

I only say this from experience. I bought a new Kindle and tried to put content from an account unlinked to the Kindle the new Kindle. The content was only allowed to transfer from the device linked to the account to the newer device ALSO linked to the account.

Regardless, I'm not trying to make the analogy that Kindle is exactly alike to Wii U. I'm only saying that each company will have their own code for managing digital content. And no one company's method is superior to another's based solely on customer satisfaction. There are other factors to consider.
---
#437RockD79Posted 1/24/2013 9:22:00 PM
43 pages over a lousy buck and a buck and a half? Seriously? What are we doing to maintain this network? Nothing. They have even been nice enough to spare us the ads. What more could you expect from a company that has no ties and little experience with the Internet? They're paying others to run their services. We are not paying for that. They created a network so from this day forth all this stuff can be tracked. I believe they are going to do the same with the 3DS in the near future. Maybe at that time some concerns of moving games around from platform to platform will be squashed. Who knows. There's also talk of lifting the partition between the Wii and Wii U. Maybe that would pacify some who can't wait a lousy minute to access that old content and it may very well be displayed on the main screen next to your more modern purchases. Again who knows. All I know is they're shelling out bucks out to some lucky stiff to keep the service afloat and we're aren't paying for that. But to charge a small fee to have my 20+ year old games to be converted and modified to run on a screen and its controller that it was never designed or intended for seems like a small price to pay. Well I guess they could always charge me for a mini disc drive with 3 cartridge slots and a USB cable... Actually that be pretty cool.
#438diggyfreshPosted 1/24/2013 9:25:28 PM
RockD79 posted...
43 pages over a lousy buck and a buck and a half? Seriously? [...].

Ppl are concerned over the principal of the matter. And that is valid enough to justify a topic.
---
#439RockD79Posted 1/24/2013 9:35:49 PM
diggyfresh posted...
RockD79 posted...
43 pages over a lousy buck and a buck and a half? Seriously? [...].

Ppl are concerned over the principal of the matter. And that is valid enough to justify a topic.

Well good luck on the next 50. I'm off for drink.
#440DifferentialEquationPosted 1/24/2013 9:36:57 PM
diggyfresh posted...

Regardless, I'm not trying to make the analogy that Kindle is exactly alike to Wii U. I'm only saying that each company will have their own code for managing digital content. And no one company's method is superior to another's based solely on customer satisfaction. There are other factors to consider.

There are other factors. And others comapnies' digitial content management is objectively superior to Nintendo's.
---