The VC fee is BS

#441diggyfreshPosted 1/24/2013 9:42:09 PM
DifferentialEquation posted...
diggyfresh posted...

Regardless, I'm not trying to make the analogy that Kindle is exactly alike to Wii U. I'm only saying that each company will have their own code for managing digital content. And no one company's method is superior to another's based solely on customer satisfaction. There are other factors to consider.

There are other factors. And others comapnies' digitial content management is objectively superior to Nintendo's.

Well I will tentatively agree to that. I don't know enough about the other systems of management to argue on it.

Subjectively I am OK with paying the $1 because I'm getting something in return. Moreover, Nintendo has given me the option to pay of keep the old Wii version for free. The smile on my face is unaffected.
---
Currently playing: ZombiU, RE: Revelation, & Xenoblade
#442abort_missionPosted 1/24/2013 10:03:13 PM
diggyfresh posted...

It's just an alternative way. Amazon does this with Kindles. It's one way to ensure that people stick to the terms of the license they agree to when they purchase it. I agree that it's restrictive and no fun. Taking away the ability to "own" a digital download sucks. I hate it. However, it's not backwards.

Can I transfer my existing Kindle content (including apps, Kindle books, and movies) from my old Kindle to a new one?

Yes, all of your past Amazon digital purchases are automatically backed up in the Amazon Cloud so you can download them to your other Kindle devices anytime.

Go to the Cloud tab on your new Kindle to view and download purchases. You can also view and download your prior purchases from Manage Your Kindle:

from http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_201022380_transfer?nodeId=201022380#transfer

amazon has even started offering free mp3's for some of the CD's Ive bought. I know its not what you are talking about but its related to the topic of digital downloads being done right.
---
"I speak horse. He's called Susan, and he wants you to respect his life choices."
#443diggyfreshPosted 1/24/2013 10:37:14 PM
abort_mission posted...
diggyfresh posted...

It's just an alternative way. Amazon does this with Kindles. It's one way to ensure that people stick to the terms of the license they agree to when they purchase it. I agree that it's restrictive and no fun. Taking away the ability to "own" a digital download sucks. I hate it. However, it's not backwards.

Can I transfer my existing Kindle content (including apps, Kindle books, and movies) from my old Kindle to a new one?

Yes, all of your past Amazon digital purchases are automatically backed up in the Amazon Cloud so you can download them to your other Kindle devices anytime.

Go to the Cloud tab on your new Kindle to view and download purchases. You can also view and download your prior purchases from Manage Your Kindle:

from http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_201022380_transfer?nodeId=201022380#transfer

amazon has even started offering free mp3's for some of the CD's Ive bought. I know its not what you are talking about but its related to the topic of digital downloads being done right.

That is done right. I think offering digital content of physical stuff works as a model. They should do it with books too.

So if Amazon gave you MP3s for free when you bought that CD, or gave you the option to buy that CD content upgraded with some special Kindle feature for $1 per album, how would that model compare to N's current model?
---
#444abort_missionPosted 1/24/2013 10:48:15 PM
diggyfresh posted...
abort_mission posted...
diggyfresh posted...

That is done right. I think offering digital content of physical stuff works as a model. They should do it with books too.

So if Amazon gave you MP3s for free when you bought that CD, or gave you the option to buy that CD content upgraded with some special Kindle feature for $1 per album, how would that model compare to N's current model?

that's not what they are doing. they are offering free mp3s of CDs purchased all the way back to 1998. there was no guarantee they would do this. sure they could have charged for it, but they didn't. digital downloads used to be viewed as risky investments several years ago. but companies like Valve has shown digital content doesn't have to be scary. but now Nintendo has decided to take one big step backward and show consumers that we should be worried because some companies are going to try to hold our content hostage. they are going to try to double dip and nickel and dime.

its 2013! yeah Nintendo has every right to charge whatever they want for whatever small amount of work they want, but all it does is tell people Nintendo isn't a good choice for digital content. this and the system accounts being tied to the consoles are giant red flags relating to the quality of Nintendos digital market. in a world where company after company revolutionizes how we use digital goods, its odd to see Nintendo acting like they are more entitled than other companies, like they deserve money for things no one else charges for.
---
"I speak horse. He's called Susan, and he wants you to respect his life choices."
#445diggyfreshPosted 1/24/2013 11:01:33 PM
abort_mission posted...
diggyfresh posted...
abort_mission posted...
diggyfresh posted...

that's not what they are doing. they are offering free mp3s of CDs purchased all the way back to 1998. there was no guarantee they would do this. sure they could have charged for it, but they didn't. digital downloads used to be viewed as risky investments several years ago. but companies like Valve has shown digital content doesn't have to be scary. but now Nintendo has decided to take one big step backward and show consumers that we should be worried because some companies are going to try to hold our content hostage. they are going to try to double dip and nickel and dime.

its 2013! yeah Nintendo has every right to charge whatever they want for whatever small amount of work they want, but all it does is tell people Nintendo isn't a good choice for digital content. this and the system accounts being tied to the consoles are giant red flags relating to the quality of Nintendos digital market. in a world where company after company revolutionizes how we use digital goods, its odd to see Nintendo acting like they are more entitled than other companies, like they deserve money for things no one else charges for.

Wow OK. I just assumed that you had to buy the CD from Amazon to get the MP3. That is cool.

http://youtu.be/uYMnAUGFuG0

Just because another company does it for free doesn't mean they all should. After I unboxed my Wii U I was able to transfer all my VC titles onto it. Same goes for the 3DS and the DSi titles. FREE.
---
#446IknowKungFuPosted 1/25/2013 12:43:06 AM
Amazon rocks
---
Go Fist Yourself
#447diggyfreshPosted 1/25/2013 1:01:00 AM
IknowKungFu posted...
Amazon rocks

Yup. I love Amazon. Have to set limits on spending there lol.

But they made me sad when I could only put audiobooks on a Kindle linked to my amazon account. I bought the stupid books, let me put it on any Kindle I want:(
---
#448TechniMyokoPosted 1/25/2013 1:26:09 AM
The_Hyphenator posted...
APHughes posted...
Saying you shouldn't pay for a feature that should have been included in the first place is a dumb argument. It is people like you that make me ashamed to say I am a Nintendo fan.

The point is that Nintendo isn't just re-releasing these games, they're also adding a lot of new features, including save states, off-TV play, re-mappable controls and Miiverse integration.

Except Sony added all of those (except miiverse) to PS1 games on PS3/PSP/PSP go/Vita without charging more.
#449Demon_KiwiPosted 1/25/2013 1:34:57 AM
If you buy a physical copy of a game and then something like a game of the year edition with all the paid dlc comes out for the same price as the version you bought without the dlc are you entitled to that dlc for free? No. Maybe it's because I grew up when digital distribution did not exist but it seems to me I bought a VC game for the Wii and when I bought it I wasn't paying for Wii U functionality or save States or anything like that. Now I can continue to play the game I purchased or I can pay a dollar or a buck and a half to have a "new" version of the game with those features. I fail to see the issue. I still have what I paid for and I even get a discount on those new features. I am not entitled to them and personally would not have cared if they charged full price though I likely wouldn't have bought any titles I already owned. Just like physical distribution if you want the new version buy the new version. I had to pay full price to get The Legend of Zelda on the GBA despite owning it on the Nes. I don't see why I should be entitled to a free version on the Wii u or 3ds just because I bought it on the Wii. Remember that backward functionality is not a right and you are lucky it has it at all.
---
Gamertag: Daemon Kiwi
#450diggyfreshPosted 1/25/2013 1:38:13 AM
TechniMyoko posted...
The_Hyphenator posted...
APHughes posted...
Saying you shouldn't pay for a feature that should have been included in the first place is a dumb argument. It is people like you that make me ashamed to say I am a Nintendo fan.

The point is that Nintendo isn't just re-releasing these games, they're also adding a lot of new features, including save states, off-TV play, re-mappable controls and Miiverse integration.

Except Sony added all of those (except miiverse) to PS1 games on PS3/PSP/PSP go/Vita without charging more.

Good for Sony. Maybe that's why they're making so much money. Giving stuff away for free is the fastest way to the bank.
---